Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Edward Snowden NSA whistleblower

Ashotep

The individual responsible for one of the most significant leaks in US political history is Edward Snowden, a 29-year-old former technical assistant for the CIA and current employee of the defence contractor Booz Allen Hamilton. Snowden has been working at the National Security Agency for the last four years as an employee of various outside contractors, including Booz Allen and Dell.

Edward Snowden revealed as NSA whistleblower: ‘I have no intention of hiding’

The man lives in fear for telling the truth. I wonder if he will be arrested.

• Like 4

This is the government and administration that has persecuted the most whistleblowers, so yes, he probably will be. I think what he did was incredibly brave, and he knew what would probably happen. But, the people of America deserve to know what is going on. He did a great thing. Hope more will follow his example....

• Like 4

It saddens me to think of all the people who stand by the government to say he is a threat to the country... They will find out one day what the real threat is.

As for what this brave man did for his country and the sacrifices he has made for it. None of those so-called "patriots" would ever do the same.

All the best to him and he has my support.

There are laws. Then their are justifiable laws. He has just broken the former.

• Like 7

It saddens me to think of all the people who stand by the government to say he is a threat to the country... They will find out one day what the real threat is.

As for what this brave man did for his country and the sacrifices he has made for it. None of those so-called "patriots" would ever do the same.

All the best to him and he has my support.

There are laws. Then their are justifiable laws. He has just broken the former.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

An open invitation to the thieves and robbers of liberty at the NSA, their affiliates, their minders, and all those corruptors of everything we hold dear.

• Like 1

It's safe to say that there are patriotic people in all governmental spheres. They love their country and Constitution, and they watch those who don't. They check the abuse, and they balance the excess. These scores of individuals, embedded in all alphabet agencies, are sentinels who remember what true liberty is.

• Like 3

This guy use to make 200k and he now gives it all up to tell the truth.

This is a brave person we should all be proud of. Thank god some people still have courage :gun:

• Like 7

This guy use to make 200k and he now gives it all up to tell the truth.

This is a brave person we should all be proud of. Thank god some people still have courage :gun:

He should have protection also.

Smitten Semi Cameroon

• Like 3

Here's an interview with Bob Baer, and former CIA analyst who now works for CNN.

Get this; he said that Edward Snowden should have gone to Sweden, to avoid suspicion of espionage or collusion with the Chinese government.

What a ridiculous statement, given what we know about Julian Assange's experience there, since I'm 99% sure he was set up by the intelligence community.

This "analyst" has no credibility in my mind, whatsoever, and it makes me sick to see anyone like this on television, after what we're finding out.

If the Chinese had anything to do with this, then God Bless The Chinese!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl8dOnau43M

• Like 5

I pray that Snowden can get away from the clutches of the NSA. I think the guy is a hero for what he did. I think Babe Ruth will call me a hypocrite over this one. I am all for Bradley Manning being convicted and serving jail time for his WikiLeaks crime. The difference for me...the WHOLE difference is the positions held by the individuals. Snowden is a civilian employee of the government and while he probably took an oath, he did not wear the uniform. When US Army or other service members can decide on their own to go outside the chain of command and break secrecy against direct orders then they endanger our country - something they are sworn NOT to do.

• Like 6

It's safe to say that there are patriotic people in all governmental spheres. They love their country and Constitution, and they watch those who don't. They check the abuse, and they balance the excess. These scores of individuals, embedded in all alphabet agencies, are sentinels who remember what true liberty is.

I'm afraid the day will come there is no longer anyone anywhere that remembers what true liberty is.
  • Like 3

I pray that Snowden can get away from the clutches of the NSA. I think the guy is a hero for what he did. I think Babe Ruth will call me a hypocrite over this one. I am all for Bradley Manning being convicted and serving jail time for his WikiLeaks crime. The difference for me...the WHOLE difference is the positions held by the individuals. Snowden is a civilian employee of the government and while he probably took an oath, he did not wear the uniform. When US Army or other service members can decide on their own to go outside the chain of command and break secrecy against direct orders then they endanger our country - something they are sworn NOT to do.

No, I'll not call you a hypocrite over this. I admire you for speaking out in support of Snowden.

For other reasons, you are simply unable to recognize that what Snowden did and what Manning did are the same thing--an expose of government crimes. Most likely because you had been thoroughly convinced that Manning was a bad guy, and after committing you had no room to maneuver to save face.

Both men have done the same thing as Ellsberg did--expose the crimes of government. It does not matter whether the whistleblower wears a uniform or not.

• Like 3

Babe, what the two did us similar in one regard but vastly different in everything else. They both released a secret held by the US government.

However what Snowden dd I release something that goes against the laws of the land.

What the Private did was betray his position release hundreds of thousands of files the majority of which where not illegal just classified.

That difference makes the two. The Private deserves his punishment where Snowden has done no such thing.

• Like 2

after reading some ppls posts, and knowing quite a few similar ppl in person. i realy wonder, why???? why ruin your life ? for what? for privacy of sheeps that can't even value it? fight for rights that ppl don't even want?

• Like 2

after reading some ppls posts, and knowing quite a few similar ppl in person. i realy wonder, why???? why ruin your life ? for what? for privacy of sheeps that can't even value it? fight for rights that ppl don't even want?

He said that he didn't do it for others, he did it for himself. He doesn't want to live in the world we're finding ourselves in and sacrificed his career, and possibly freedom, to try and change it.

• Like 3

Babe, what the two did us similar in one regard but vastly different in everything else. They both released a secret held by the US government.

However what Snowden dd I release something that goes against the laws of the land.

What the Private did was betray his position release hundreds of thousands of files the majority of which where not illegal just classified.

That difference makes the two. The Private deserves his punishment where Snowden has done no such thing.

Just to put things into perspective, it turns out that Snowden also served a term as an enlisted man, was grossly disillusioned about what was happening once he got in, broke both legs in some sort of accident, and received a medical discharge. So he and Manning actually took the same oath. So did I.

"Betray his position"? How exactly does one betray one's position? I think I know what you're trying to say, but it is still a specious argument.

Bradley took an oath to protect and defend the USC. His intimate knowledge of government crimes revealed to him that the USC had been violated and assaulted by men way up the chain of command from his lowly position.

Those men also took the oath to protect the document and the legal principles it embodies. They certainly had violated their oath, many times over.

Exposing the crimes of government is not betrayal in any real meaning of the word. He has betrayed nobody at all. In the spirit of Thoreau and MLK, he committed civil disobedience, call it military disobedience if you must, so that the criminal actions of the government might be stopped, and the criminals prosecuted.

If this were a conscientious government we have today (it ain't, I know) Manning would receive the CMH, and the many wrongs would be righted.

• Like 3

Just to put things into perspective, it turns out that Snowden also served a term as an enlisted man, was grossly disillusioned about what was happening once he got in, broke both legs in some sort of accident, and received a medical discharge. So he and Manning actually took the same oath. So did I.

"Betray his position"? How exactly does one betray one's position? I think I know what you're trying to say, but it is still a specious argument.

Bradley took an oath to protect and defend the USC. His intimate knowledge of government crimes revealed to him that the USC had been violated and assaulted by men way up the chain of command from his lowly position.

Those men also took the oath to protect the document and the legal principles it embodies. They certainly had violated their oath, many times over.

Exposing the crimes of government is not betrayal in any real meaning of the word. He has betrayed nobody at all. In the spirit of Thoreau and MLK, he committed civil disobedience, call it military disobedience if you must, so that the criminal actions of the government might be stopped, and the criminals prosecuted.

If this were a conscientious government we have today (it ain't, I know) Manning would receive the CMH, and the many wrongs would be righted.

Babe, what Manning did was just dump hundreds of thousands of misc files a few ended up being illegal while the vast majority where just classified. He didn't care what he got just that he got it. Had he just leaked the illegal stuff, such as the Apache Video or others, then my opinion would be different but based on the fact that those items just happened to be in the data dump, and not the sole reason for it, then he broke Military Law and betrayed his Oath.

What Snowden did was leak a single piece of information. About something that the Government did in secret against the laws of the land, and as I understand it, the highest law of the land in the US is the US Constitution.

The only similarities as that they leaked government information. The biggest difference is the information leaked. That information leaked is what defines these two cases. Manning deserves a maximum penalty for betraying his position in the Military. Where as Snowden leaked information that the public needed to know as the Government is taking private information and holding it in an Intelligent Service database.

~Thanato

• Like 3

in China?

• Like 1

Babe, what Manning did was just dump hundreds of thousands of misc files a few ended up being illegal while the vast majority where just classified. He didn't care what he got just that he got it. Had he just leaked the illegal stuff, such as the Apache Video or others, then my opinion would be different but based on the fact that those items just happened to be in the data dump, and not the sole reason for it, then he broke Military Law and betrayed his Oath.

What Snowden did was leak a single piece of information. About something that the Government did in secret against the laws of the land, and as I understand it, the highest law of the land in the US is the US Constitution.

The only similarities as that they leaked government information. The biggest difference is the information leaked. That information leaked is what defines these two cases. Manning deserves a maximum penalty for betraying his position in the Military. Where as Snowden leaked information that the public needed to know as the Government is taking private information and holding it in an Intelligent Service database.

~Thanato

Perhaps if he spent time sifting through what was required. We may have never seen the illegal stuff or heard of the leaks at all.

• Like 1

in China?

Isn't he in Hong Kong, which I realize is part of China now. Think I would of found a better place.
  • Like 1

Perhaps if he spent time sifting through what was required. We may have never seen the illegal stuff or heard of the leaks at all.

But you are missing my point. With out any regard for the boots on the ground, he just gave over 500,000 files to a foreign national. He betrayed his oath, he betrayed his position, and he betrayed his nation. You can allways play the what if game after it happens, but what the man did was illegal. Yes some good came out of it, but the good should never out weigh the bad.

Snowden knew something that was under the laws of the land (the US Constitution) illegal. So he sought to bring to light information on this classified operation to spy on US Nationals.

• Like 1