Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Name Some "Famous" Missing Objects.

Cynical Sounds

Hey, I was wondering if people could help me out well help a friend of mine out.

I'm after stories of missing things, preferably objects rather than people, preferably that when missing after 1900 although older is fine and things that disappeared mysteriously and the bigger the better.

What I'm after is stuff that was locked away for a long or short period of time or was in transit and just straight up vanished. Not stuff that was stolen and never seen again.

Cheers for any help.

Of course the classic one would be the Ark of the Covenant... which wether it had any divine links or not, there is evidence that it did in fact exist (reports of it being paraded publically, and being taken into battle)... Some people say it resides in a temple in Ethiopia, others in other places, and some believe it was destroyed...

Of more recent objects, I would add the so called "Treasures of Priam" from the site believed by some to be Troy. Found by Heinrich Schleiman (sp) during his slash and hack dig there, they were photographed and then disappeared... Rumor has it that they made it to a mueseum in Berlin, and were taken by the Soviets in 1945, to disappear...

• Like 1

Amelia Erharts plane

James Deans car

James Bonds car- one of them, not all of them

There's a handful of ships that disappeared over the years...

• Like 2

The USS Cyclops.

n13451.jpg

• Like 1

Marie Antoinette's diamond necklace and the French crown jewels

The amber room

Menkaure's sarcophagus

Peking man

• Like 2

these are great.

any more?

these are great.

any more?

Although not famous, I'm missing most of my left socks. My clothes dryer must have come from the Bermuda Triangle. :w00t:

Here's another famous one. Captain Kidd's treasure in the Oak Island Money Pit.

• Like 2

Car keys are another famous object that will go missing from time to time.

• Like 2

george bush's IQ.....

you can't lose something that was never there

Cheers for the help guys

Any body knows of any more let me know.

• Like 4

these are great.

any more?

Marbles get lost often, but only in English speaking countries.

:P

Amelia Erharts plane

James Deans car

James Bonds car- one of them, not all of them

There's a handful of ships that disappeared over the years...

The latest news :

A sonar anomaly that researchers suspect might possibly be the wreckage of Amelia Earhart's aircraft is a straight, unbroken feature uncannily consistent with the fuselage of a Lockheed Electra, new analysis of the sonar imagery captured off a remote Pacific island has revealed.

http://news.discovery.com/history/us-history/amelia-earhart-plane-lockheed-electra-sonar-130615.htm

Although not famous, I'm missing most of my left socks. My clothes dryer must have come from the Bermuda Triangle. :w00t:

How do you know which ones are your "left" socks? :innocent:

• Like 1

Noah's Ark, the Holy Grail, the money DB Cooper had, and my youth ;)

• 6 months later...

General Santa Anna supposedly sank or disposed of a bunch of gold here in east Texas.

Edit: According to local legend that is.

Edited by Ugly1

How do you know which ones are your "left" socks? :innocent:

Well duh... duzznt everyone wear these?

152152_28Oct10_l_toesocks.jpg

the sword excalibur......

Excalibur-Stone.jpg

A hell of a lot of art has gone missing over the years. Also objects are more likely to go missing during times of strife like war or something. Maybe look around the world wars fro art and stuff. Stuff can be looted during uprisings.

Also would body parts count. For example Ned Kelly's head went missing and was found. No one knows what happened to Einstein's brain.

Irelands crown jewels.

Just re-reading this older post and decided to look up the 'crown jewels'... They were actually the regalia of "The Order of Saint Patrick" - the Irish version of the "Order of the Bath" in England...

From what I could gather from the article, the likely culprit was most likely Mr. Francis Shackleton the Dublin Herald of Arms (brother to the famous antarctic explorer) along with a possible accomplice named Captain Richard Gorges...

The jewels were most likely taken to Amsterdam and after a time, broken up and sold off piecemeal....

Interesting case...

http://homepage.eirc...smys/jewels.htm

edited because I can't spell... <_<

Edited by Taun

No one knows what happened to Einstein's brain.

Einstein's brain was removed during his autopsy in 1955 by Dr. Thomas Harvey. It was sliced up and some parts went to various neuroscientists for study. Dr. Harvey took the rest home.

This all come to light in 1986.

There was a good book, "Driving Mr Albert", written by a journalist who, in 1996, met and befriended Dr Harvey, then embarked upon a road trip from the east coast to California to return the brain to Einstein's last living relative. If I remember, she didn't want the brain and told Dr Harvey to keep it.

After Harvey's death, all items of his pertaining to the brain, including the pieces that he still had, were donated to the National Museum of Heath and Medicine, where it resides to this day. Several pieces are also in the awesome Mutter Museum in Philadelphia. I highly recommend that Museum to everyone. Fascinating place.

In short, today, we know exactly what happened to Einstein's brain.