Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

ruins in antarctica?

kannin

You need to read this link: http://www.wikihow.c...l-to-Antarctica Antarctica is a tourist destination.

Any link concerning this "elite, extremely rich guy" is. It's news to me - unless of course it is the Nephilim, Superman, Lex Luthor or the suchlike :innocent:

Adrian Veidt. Google it. :)

You worded it just fine. Any primate fossils in Antarctica would re-write much of human evolution as we understand it (at the moment). The warming periods during the pliocene COULD have allowed for a sentient species to arise (not necessarily mammalian) and to have developed a civilisation. Homo Sapien Sapiens civilisation is the result of just a few millenia, so the possibility remains.

What did you not understand about "The Antarctic polar icecap is 33.6 million years old"?

The only thing we could find could be some sort of cave system frozen in time. There might be remains of an extinct Mammal or penguin or even a seal or a whale

The only thing we could find could be some sort of cave system frozen in time. There might be remains of an extinct Mammal or penguin or even a seal or a whale

that would be interesting

Finding ruins would be very interesting, but we have to be a little circumspect in believing any such thing is likely. Fossils should be in abundance because many species identified from the fossil record, would certainly have found a home there (Paleocene Era), and even later during the Eocene Era when there was a large amount of tectonic uplifting ocurring (with accompanying localised heating).

Even during the Pliocene Era (HS Era) there was a not insubstantial amount of Ice Sheet melt that allowed plants to flourish. What there isn't, is any mechanism for continuous evolution to function, let alone Civilisations to arise

Wrong era. The Pliocene runs from c.5.3 to 2.5 million years BP. The Pleistocene (our era - HS) on the other hand runs from c.2.5 million years BP to c.10,000 BP.

Homo Sapien Sapiens civilisation is the result of just a few millenia, so the possibility remains.

Anatomically modern humans (Homo sapiens - Us) development towards civilization is the result of some roughly 195,000 years, which is hardly "a few millenia".

cormac

You won't find any ancient ruins in Antarctica, It's been frozen for about 15 million years, and there weren't any Hominids advanced enough to build them before that... IMO

If evidence that dinosaurs evolved into tool users is ever found, I'll change my opinion to maybe... :D

Antarctica Geological_history_and_paleontology

That link points this out:

At a number of points in its long history it was farther north, experienced a tropical or temperate climate, was covered in forests, and inhabited by various ancient life-forms.

So although no ruins, there could well be fossils of earlier lifeforms, actually, it would seem very likely. But, as you point out, it is highly unlikely the dinosaurs would have left behind any tools for us to find.

At a number of points in its long history it was farther north, experienced a tropical or temperate climate, was covered in forests, and inhabited by various ancient life-forms.

So although no ruins, there could well be fossils of earlier lifeforms, actually, it would seem very likely. But, as you point out, it is highly unlikely the dinosaurs would have left behind any tools for us to find.

indeed

Wrong era. The Pliocene runs from c.5.3 to 2.5 million years BP. The Pleistocene (our era - HS) on the other hand runs from c.2.5 million years BP to c.10,000 BP.

Anatomically modern humans (Homo sapiens - Us) development towards civilization is the result of some roughly 195,000 years, which is hardly "a few millenia".

cormac

Apologies first: you are correct it was during the Pleistocene that HS arose.

As to creating a civilisation, that would be recognised as such, then we are only looking back between 40 and 60 millenia, even then it would be impossible to say that there was a Civilisation capable of housebuilding, cultural interraction, and of course no written history or discernible knowledge of self. I say this in reference to the OP where the conjecture is whether or not ruins might be found in the Antarctic.

Could an early form of mammalian or reptilian sentient actually have been isolated when Antarctica split from Africa? Possibly, and if so then there would have been sufficient time for evolution to work its miracle and to lead to a reasonably advanced, civilisation to arise. Do I believe this? Not really, but it is interesting to think of the possibilities

Could an early form of mammalian or reptilian sentient actually have been isolated when Antarctica split from Africa? Possibly, and if so then there would have been sufficient time for evolution to work its miracle and to lead to a reasonably advanced, civilisation to arise. Do I believe this? Not really, but it is interesting to think of the possibilities

I'm not keen on thinking about a reptilian sentient, but to follow your line of possibilities, what would have happened to your mammalian sentient ? Ice ages don't exactly happen overnight, so a "civilisation" would have had ample time to plan and make an escape from a doomed continent. Where would they have gone ?

Very likely indeed, fossils of marsupials and others have been found on Seymour Island, an Island in the Antarctic Peninsula... :tu:

Seymour_Island: Paleontological_significance

Edited by Pax Unum
  • Like 1

you'd have to wonder what kind of ruins could withstand the pressure of a mile of ice on top of them!

maybe aliens built them....?

:-)

you'd have to wonder what kind of ruins could withstand the pressure of a mile of ice on top of them!

maybe aliens built them....?

:-)

And those huge glaciers moved for many thousands of years. Whatever may have been below them, they flattened them beyond recognition.

Glaciers carved out rock, so human constructions would be flattened too after thousands of years.

But the ice sheets where there for 33,6 millions of years, so all we can expect to find is something made by dinos or their successors, primitive mammals the size of a rat.

And as far as we know now, no dinos and no ancient mammals were capable of creating anything resembling a civilization.

• Like 1

The Nephilim are very intriguing to me, I love the stories and lore about them. The Fallen Angels.

It's owned by one of the Rothschild's which are the supposed elite involved in the Illuminati and Bilderberg group http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rothschild_Island, and you're right I think it is a tourist attraction. I think what I heard was that no one is allowed to fly over the north and south poles, and are no fly zones but again don't take me 100% on that I'm not sure it's just what I've heard. If they are no fly zones I wonder why they are, and if they are not and you're allowed to fly over the poles then I wonder where the disinformation came from? I'm guessing from the hollow earth conspiracy theorist. Actually I remember now that this guy said that the governments of the world say it's too cold to fly over them, but yet he asked in his youtube video if they are too cold to fly over then how in the hell did we ever fly into space, because space is supposed to be one of the coldest places in the universe.

Now I have to go find more info, but, I thought the no fly zone had something to do with the magnetic pull... damn it! I can't remember. If I find it I will post it.