Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost/ Alien what was this

eley

Okay despite being a skeptic of the current `ufology` situation, i have had an experience a few years back, and i would really appreciate if somebody can shed some light on this.

It wasnt sleep paralysis.. as ive had that before, this was as real as i am looking at the pc screen.

It was a sunday afternoon i was having a rest for a few hours, and then i sat up to get up, and suddenly i looked up and there was a figure next to me.

He had a suit and greyish silver hair and a short trimmed beard, looked like a teacher or scientist.

Then the person dissapeared.

I have for a long time tried to just pass it off as mind playing tricks or whatver, i mean ive seen a red orb before in the sky and i still tried to pass it off with a realistic explaantion even though there was not one for it, so i hope that prooves im not the kind of person who just automaticaly thinks anything is alien or ufo... but when i reflect back on this experience there just is no logical explanation for it

I need to make these points clear though, this being looked like a normal human. I did not feel in any way or form scared. And, he did not appear like a relative or anyone i recognised.

What do you think it may be? once again i was fully aware of this happening i was not asleep and i did not dream it.

I know you said you are sure it was not sp, but if you were 'having a rest' it could still be related to a close to unconscious hallucination.

There are many types, not everything falls under sp and sp can be different every time.

Anyway just one suggestion, good luck.

• Like 1

I do not know what it could have been, but I do know if i had woken up and there had been a figure standing next to me, I would have been up and adam, out of there and on the phone to the police......................the only time I find there is no need for a drastic action of looking for him or calling for help, is when you know it was actually a dream.

• Like 1

I do not know what it could have been, but I do know if i had woken up and there had been a figure standing next to me, I would have been up and adam, out of there and on the phone to the police......................the only time I find there is no need for a drastic action of looking for him or calling for help, is when you know it was actually a dream.

This is the thing, it didnt appear as a ghost or some misty object nor did i get `cold chills or whatever`

i basically look up theres somebody standing there, and im thinking hang on whos this and how is he here, and by the time my brain puts the thought through my mind (half a second later), the person is gone

I know you say it isn't a dream or hallucination, but it's no experience that a huge amount of stories we get on these forums involve someone waking up from sleep and experiencing something very strange. A figure beside them. Strange noises. Etc. And insisting that the fact that it happened when waking up from sleep had nothing to do with it.

I'd be willing to bet it is a hypnopompic hallucination. They are hallucinations people sometimes get upon waking from sleep. I know from experience they can be vivid and convincing.

Edited by Archimedes
  • Like 3

You could put it down as a hallucination and be done with it, OR you could maybe invite him back.

Maybe he has a message for you, why else would he be there? Also , how does one who sees what you see, and rationalize it as hullabaloo? Been diagnosed with any mental conditions?

I think you haven't, and that the alternative answer maybe scares you.

Can I ask if you often doubt your own eyes and senses? Could it be an eye issue undiagnosed?

What are you going to do, shrug it off, or open the door to the "otherside".

Never trust anything surrounding a sleep period. Most SP sufferers are sure they are not having a hallucination when in fact they are.

• Like 3

You could put it down as a hallucination and be done with it, OR you could maybe invite him back.

Maybe he has a message for you, why else would he be there? Also , how does one who sees what you see, and rationalize it as hullabaloo? Been diagnosed with any mental conditions?

I think you haven't, and that the alternative answer maybe scares you.

Can I ask if you often doubt your own eyes and senses? Could it be an eye issue undiagnosed?

What are you going to do, shrug it off, or open the door to the "otherside".

Hypnagogic (going into sleep) and hypnopompic (coming out of sleep) hallucinations have NO connection to any kind of "mental condition" or eye condition.

They are real, documented and can happen to anyone.

Hypnagogic (going into sleep) and hypnopompic (coming out of sleep) hallucinations have NO connection to any kind of "mental condition" or eye condition.

They are real, documented and can happen to anyone.

Yes they are, never said they weren't.

I do not suffer from them, as I'm awake when I experience my "hallucinations", and sometimes , I'm not alone. 2 people have drawn my attention to something that we can't explain.

Shared experiences in daylight , no resting or sleeping involved, not so easily explained .

This is the thing, it didnt appear as a ghost or some misty object nor did i get `cold chills or whatever`

i basically look up theres somebody standing there, and im thinking hang on whos this and how is he here, and by the time my brain puts the thought through my mind (half a second later), the person is gone

Hence, i would have been up and searching the house. What if it had been a burglar who leaves you bedroom when you awake, would you just stay in bed and not investigate? they can be quite quiet these burglars!

I believe it is what Archimedes has said.

I'd be willing to bet it is a hypnopompic hallucination

please can you explain what that is or i should say how that would happen, i dont do drugs or anything

thanks

Certain classes of medications can cause you to have hallucinations and as many have said, you don't always realize you're having one. Could be as innocuous as 'seeing' a bug. I've had similar experiences of sp and waking up to someone standing there and it's scary for sure but, rule out the worldly possibilities before exploring the other areas. Just to be sure you're ok.

That was a spirit. It was probably an ancestor who might've appeared young as spirits do. They can appear and not give someone the creeps. Not all send cold chills.

The only thing I can say in my opinion would be that first research your property and see what events or people once lived where you lived.Also check property history before house was there.Since you are a sane person to me what you described was an apparation.Alot of folks always try to find answers as to not say this but paranormal activity can unleash at anytime and hour and not always in a scary form. There are things of this world none of us will completely understand and it isn't always some scientific or medical explanation if it was then it would be debunked by now. Hopefully what you saw doesn't come back if it does then maybe there is a much serious explanation as to why he shows himself to you.Keep a open mind and rule out would you are skeptical about because the unexplainable happened to you.

• Like 1

please can you explain what that is or i should say how that would happen, i dont do drugs or anything

thanks

You don't need to "do drugs" or be on medication or have metal conditions to have certain types of hallucinations such has hypnagogic/hypnapompic hallucination. They occur when coming out of (hypnapopmic) or going into (hypnagogic) sleep. They can be more common if you have certain sleep problems or you sleep is regularly disturbed. It's caused by you waking up but certain things that happen in the brain and body in your sleep continuing to happen for a few minutes. They can be audio, visual or involve cenesthopathic feelings and can range from being barely perceptible to very vivid. A 1996 study published in the British Journal of Psychiatry found around 12% of the people involved in the study claim to have had a hypnopomic hallucination at some point in there lives while 40% claimed to have had a hypnagogic hallucination.

• Like 1

thanks

It has nothing to do with drugs. I don't do any drugs (apart from drinking at the weekends) and I experience these hallucinations all the time.

I'm not a psychologist or sleep expert so take what I say with a grain of salt. Usually people wake up cleanly from sleep and that's that. Perhaps they have a memory of a dream they were having.

Sometimes however, people don't wake up quite cleanly. It involves waking up but still being in a somewhat dream state of mind and thus on the one hand you feel awake (because you are to an extent) but you're still hallucinating dreamlike stuff. A common type of hallucination experienced during this state is to see a figure or figures in your room. It ranges quite a bit. A hooded figure (my experiences). Little aliens or goblins. A woman. Etc. Other hallucinations are auditory - hearing voices that aren't there and the likes. Or visual and auditory at the same time.

I get the impression from reading testimony on this and other websites that those of us who aren't great sleepers and experience these kind of things (along with lucid dreaming, sleep paralysis, etc.) on a regular or semi-regular basis are less likely to ascribe it to the paranormal and those who have a one-off experience are more likely to think of it as a paranormal event. Which is understandable, experiencing something regularly is more likely to lead to some deeper investigation and reading on the subject than a one-off experience.

Anyway, like I said, it's not a sign of anything wrong or to do with drug abuse.