Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

declawing cats

danielost

Simple, don't have your cats declawed. To declaw a cat, they have to cut off the first nucle of their digits. It is painful long after the procedure, that is if it does stop hurting. /

• Like 5

I think it would feel the same as surgically removing one's fingernails. Not a good idea.

I think it would feel the same as surgically removing one's fingernails. Not a good idea.

Fingernails? Try the first third of your finger.

• Like 6

My last kitty I had, before the one I have now, was declawed on the front feet and whoever did it was sloppy. There was a scar on the first few toes and he often would sit and shake one of his paws like it was irritating him.

De-clawing, in my view, is simply a terrible mutilation and should NEVER be done unless it is absolutely the absolute last resort.

People need to be aware of just what de-clawing really is, just because it is a "common" practice doesn't mean it is right.

• Like 3

I won't do it, my cat is my friend, furniture is not. I have old furniture I don't worry about it.

• Like 1

I don't respect people who do it . They go on about their furniture being ruined .

Well then don't get a cat !

I've adopted two cats over the years,both who were front declawed . They both died young .

I know of another I nursed for a friend. Cancer.A huge tumor behind one ear .

Her fur started to fall of ,and you could see her toes. There were these tiny blob like growths all around where her claws had been .

I think declawing causes cancer ,and no one sees it under their fur .

• Like 1

And besides the given health risks it creates, if your cat is out roaming the neighborhood and gets into trouble, it's first and most reliable sense of defense is gone.

Cats need their claws to survive. I don't like them killing birds and such so I keep mine indoors (the house is several stories high so they have lots of places to climb and be up high looking down on the world -- that is when a cat is happiest).

It is easy to avoid clawed furniture. Just give them alternatives.

To be honest I've never heard of anyone getting their cat de-clawed. I've only heard of it on TV. Just get a bloody scratching post, lazy people these days want a pet but don't want the hassles that come with them.

"I want a dog but don't want to pick up its crap. I know, I'll strap a plastic bag to its backside"

"I want a dog that barks when strangers walk up the driveway but not to bark when my friends walk up"

A couple dogs on the ground floor who make a racket when strangers come to the door is a wonderful thing to have, and well worth the time and effort teaching them. One thing I don't appreciate is dogs who bark at every other dog wandering the neighborhood. Getting them over that, though, is not hard, and takes only an hour or so.

To be honest I've never heard of anyone getting their cat de-clawed. I've only heard of it on TV. Just get a bloody scratching post, lazy people these days want a pet but don't want the hassles that come with them.

"I want a dog but don't want to pick up its crap. I know, I'll strap a plastic bag to its backside"

"I want a dog that barks when strangers walk up the driveway but not to bark when my friends walk up"

Ask me how many times I've seen cats,with claws removed on all four paws ,ALL FOUR ,end up in a shelter.

Who declaws the back feet two,when only the front are in any way a danger to furniture ? Someone who changes their mind about responsibility ,the way the rest of us change our underwear. PEOPLE SUCK !!!

• Like 3

Declawing is barbaric and should be banned in the U.S. I know several cat owners who've had their cats declawed. Perhaps they're ignorant about how inhumane and painful it is Idk. Most vets only seem interested in making money so they don't inform pet owners on the possible consequences of this procedure. My parents had two of my childhood cats declawed and they didn't know any better. I've owned 7 cats all together and those two were the only ones that decided to stop using the litterboxes, urinated everywhere and ruined the carpet. I've read that declawed cats are more likely to develop behavioral problems and will mark their territory with their urine since they can't do it with their claws. Both also became overweight (they were inactive and weren't interested in playing much) had health problems and died fairly young.

I rescued another declawed cat a couple of months ago. I found her huddled on my porch in freezing weather. She wouldn't have lasted much longer if I didn't take her in. She couldn't defend herself against other animals or feral cats, climb or hunt. She was starving to death. I looked for her owners and reported her missing at the local shelter. No one claimed her or put up any lost ads for her. She's probably the sweetest cat I've ever owned. I wonder if someone just tossed her out in the cold. People truly suck.

Edited by RavenEyes19

Declawing is a bone between my sister and I. She declaws- "I give them a nice life, so they can deal with not being able to claw things", I do not declaw "Dude, would you want your fingertips chopped off?". Every time she visits she always has to make a comment or few about my cats having claws.

The only thing I ever worry about my big fatass black cat 'Binx' ruining with his claws is if I forget and leave a roll of paper towels within his reach.

Binx is an indoor cat but likes to have an 'outdoor adventure' once in a while so he needs his claws anyway.

Edited by BiffSplitkins
  • Like 1

My last kitty I had, before the one I have now, was declawed on the front feet and whoever did it was sloppy. There was a scar on the first few toes and he often would sit and shake one of his paws like it was irritating him.

De-clawing, in my view, is simply a terrible mutilation and should NEVER be done unless it is absolutely the absolute last resort.

People need to be aware of just what de-clawing really is, just because it is a "common" practice doesn't mean it is right.

They have plastic caps you can put on their claws. So there is no last resort.

• Like 1

Speaking confessionally, I had a cat declawed over thirty years ago because of a landlord's demand. I felt very crappy and guilty about it. Spock was such a kool kitty, but the "procedure" seemed to take some of her spirit away. I've never done it with subsequent cats who have let me share living quarters with them. I agree with others above that it is cruel and unnecessary.

Our current furry beast is fully clawed and has alternatives (scratching posts; old wood in the basement) and she seems a lot better adjusted. . . or maybe I'm just getting mellow in my older age. Maybe I've been tamed. Honey, can I bring you a beer?

For those of you who have declawed as cat. If the cat is peeing every where but bthe litter box, you need to get a softer ltter, because it hurts when kitty steps into you current litter.

This is info I am getting from, my cat from hell.

We have many cats, and generally let them have one litter before having them altered. I would never have one declawed -- there are so many better ways to handle this -- including keeping them indoors (we have a rather large compound).

Recently two of our females got pregnant at the same time and when one went into birth I guess this stimulated the other to do the same, and we had two litters within hours of each other. The mothers (who themselves were sisters) moved their litters into the same pile and raised them jointly. It was an astonishing thing.

• Like 1

I've never had a cat de-clawed. Seems to me that it would be making it defensless. Also unable to climb a tree to escape threats.

I can see situations where maybe I understand and may even support it. If someone wanted to rescue a cat but their landlord required it to be de-clawed. I think de-clawing may be better than death for the cat.

I had an uncle that died and left his cat. No one wanted it and they were going to just have it put down (4 years old). A sister of his took it, but only if she could have it de-clawed because she was elderly and would not risk all her antique furniture.

I have two indoor cats. One cat lost a toe on his right back foot because he stepped on some rock litter that wedged itself into his toe between the "knuckle bit." He was walking around fine it wasn't until he's bath when the rock fell out that we noticed he was hurt. (he is a cat that only cries for food. I stepped on his tail once accidentally and not a peep came from him. As soon as a can of cat food comes out he is screaming his head off) We took him to the vet she removed the toe and some bone because it was damaged and infected. He was fine a few days later. The only thing I have noticed is when he climbs or balances on bed heads or the couch he looks at his foot like something is wrong or missing. So no I would never declaw because with just one gone my cst is affected.

We have scratching posts and take our cats out for walks on the leash. When outside they can climb the stump in our backyard. They walk over grass, concrete and tan bark (medium wood chips usually at kids playgrounds. could be just an Aussie thing) and there is wood they scratch. But sometimes the carpet, furniture or my legs make good claw sharpeners and that's ok.

• Like 1

It's so easy to get a piece of old carpet, tack it up somewhere, and let them have at it. They prefer it to wood.

A water pistol is good to keep around whenever cats get into things they shouldn't. Doesn't require shouting or anything, just a reach for it does the trick once they learn.

Has anyone any idea why most cats hate a water spray in the face so much?

Well, do you like having water sprayed in your face, Frank?

On topic: Declawing cats is wrong and should fall under cruelty to animals.

Edited by FLOMBIE

Just the thought of de-clawing my cats turns my stomach, I can forgive them scratching up my old couch but I won't forgive myself if I put them through that kind pain.

My kids spray me all the time. Cats seem to take it as a personal insult.

My kids spray me all the time. Cats seem to take it as a personal insult.

Because the cat can't differentiate.