Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Paralysed Man Sends E-Mail by Thought

UM-Bot

news icon rSubmitted by Stellar: An pill-sized brain chip has allowed a quadriplegic man to check e-mail and play computer games using his thoughts. The device can tap into a hundred neurons at a time, and is the most sophisticated such implant tested in humans so far.

Many paralysed people control computers with their eyes or tongue. But muscle function limits these techniques, and they require a lot of training. For over a decade researchers have been trying to find a way to tap directly into thoughts.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: nature.com

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• Magnet

• Janiel

• Stellar

There's always a downside side to all most all inventions and this technology holds a terrifying future for criminal purposes. Just use your imagination...

I know the upside is very promising...but this sort of technology shouldn't fall under the wrong hands.

wow!! i dont think there can be a dwonside to that, that is amazing, i wish i could do something like that, i mean he just thinks and the computer reads his thoughts... i cant believe the technology there.. that is absolutly incredible!

this technology is oging to replace keyboards in the future i bet. awesome thread ! thumbsup.gif

thats amazing, I almost cant bring myself to believe it.. I mean, controling things with your thoughts? I am going to have to reaserch this a bit more.. dontgetit.gif

This is very amazing, but Blue Scorpion is right. If someone were to alter that technology slightly people will soon be able to control certain things with their thoughts that they shouldn't be controlling.

This is almost hard to believe... almost like something from a sci-fi movie became real. How credible is this?

Thats really amazing, just imagine what the future is going to b elike with all these new technologies being created its going to be very interesting indeed!

Technology is getting amazing; in the advances we are making (so long as it’s used for the good of mankind).

Soon we won’t even need computers; we will be sending emails directly to each other’s head!

Sounds too much like The Outer Limits to me.

Man.

Think of how much i could post just by THINKING IT.

I think it is dangerous stuff. Imagine someone breaking into your thoughts later on in the future, or even someone being able to manipulate anything with their head...

Edited by Magnet

Fantastic observation there.

To get back on topic, the implications of this are astounding.

Think about it. Artificial limbs working like a real limb would simply with a chip attached to the brain at the right place. Thats just one of several possibilities i can think of.

You're right.

As it's been said, there is also a large downside to this.

Imagine, spam transfered by thought... yikes...

Lol... middle of math class. "And thats why the answer is--- PAY NO MORE! Free access to millions of XXX sites for only one low payement of $19.99!--- Erm, sorry class, where was I?"