Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Snowden An American Hero?

regeneratia

Is Snowden A hero!  

22 members have voted

1. 1. So you think Snowden is an American Hero?

• Yes
    • No
    • undecided
    • Other: please elaborate

Please feel free to speak out on what you are thinking about this issue with regards to the whistleblower who re-exposed the unconstitutional atrocities by the NSA.

• Like 2

In this day and age...I guess we should think of it that way. He took a huge risk for himself and family.

It shouldn't have to be that way. Doing "the right thing" should not elevate someone to "hero"...however...in the times in which we live...most people don't do anything that doesn't serve themselves and their personal friends and family...so considering that...anyone who makes a personal sacrifice because they see something terrible is happening...I guess is a hero.

I'm waiting for the character assassination to begin....I'm guessing the next thing that we are going to see is a total shredding of credibility so they can reel in any future revelations he may or may not come forward with. Apparently he is hiding in Hong Kong now. I guess he thought they couldn't drone him there...but the Seal teams can get him wherever he goes. They will have to destroy his character before they can take him out or throw him in prison. To do otherwise would make a martyr of him.

• Like 5

I think he is a hero.

He took great personal risk to do what he did. Also, I just read an article that said there are more revelations to come. Not to mention of the 40 (?) page document he gave the press on PRISM, only 4 pages have been published. Another article, stated that Congressman and senators were just coming out of a meeting about all this, and there were some revelations that left them stunned, and asking LOTS of questions, but they can't reveal any more info. other than that. So it sounds like there is more stuff to come....

Maybe their collecting more information on us than we realize....

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 4

Almost everything which is reported is a lie to some degree. The only thing left with real power to shock is the truth.

Br Cornelius

I think he is a hero.

Thank you for voting. Your opinion has been tallied and recorded for permanent record at the Utah Data Center.

The shirt and slacks ensemble you're wearing today aren't the best match, by the way...yesterday's was much better.

Best regards,

NSA

• Like 5

No question he is a hero, at least certainly a patriot, and willing to sacrifice his own life for his country.

What this will finally demonstrate is how the american people have lost all control of their government, though I suppose there will be some who see this as government's proper role.

• Like 4

Its a failure of the people to hold their government accountable, not a failure of the concept of governance. It would be well to remember this when the small government crowd start baying like a pack of wolves.

Br Cornelius

Thank you for voting. Your opinion has been tallied and recorded for permanent record at the Utah Data Center.

The shirt and slacks ensemble you're wearing today aren't the best match, by the way...yesterday's was much better.

Best regards,

NSA

Hmm...Maybe I should change into my camo so no one can see me....

• Like 1

He's a hero to the citizens of the US and an enemy to "our" government. That should tell you everything.

• Like 3

Hmm...Maybe I should change into my camo so no one can see me....

Fine idea...you'll find them in the bottom drawer, left side.

• Like 2

Its a failure of the people to hold their government accountable, not a failure of the concept of governance. It would be well to remember this when the small government crowd start baying like a pack of wolves.

Br Cornelius

It's nearly impossible to hold accountable the Gov when so much is done in secret under the label of "national security". Maybe it is...maybe it isn't...we rarely get the opportunity to make that call for ourselves. So many people have absolute faith that their "leaders" would never do anything to hurt them...they observe little and question even less.

When all you have is pieces of info...half truths and blatant propaganda...how can you ever hold anyone or anything accountable. People that were making connections and making these "accusations" a couple of years ago got branded a "tin foil hat wearing loon" and written off as a irrational "conspiracy theorist"...not so funny now is it?

The rabbit hole goes so deep, I don't think most people could grip the reality of things...it would be too unreal to comprehend.

They say these measures are required for national security under a rising threat. The "evil brown people" want to destroy our freedoms. So what do we do?...we destroy our own freedom under the guise of protecting it....say what?

Maybe...just maybe...if we hadn't have been mucking around in thigs that was none of our business years ago...we wouldn't be hated so much now. Maybe...just maybe...the people that wanted to destroy our freedom have actually succeeded and too many people are too stupid to realize it.

• Like 3

The history of governments abusing its people is long and well documented. There is little controversy in that.

The problem is what is a rational approach to holding a government to account. The answer is not to do away with government as we then become prey to another set of abusers.

The real issue is how can we now, as citizens, hold our governments to account for the wrongs they do - whilst maintaining a society which still fits the description of been advanced and civilized.

A critical set of events took place in the USA in the 60's with the assassination of JFK and Martin Luther King. They warned us about it in advance but we weren't strong enough to resist the propaganda machine. A coup took place and unfolded over the next 50years and you are living with the consequences. There was nothing inevitable about the hijacking and corruption of your nation - you as citizens were manipulated to believe that was the only way things could be, but you were wrong. Resting back control will be hideously difficult as ignorance of the issues is widespread and they have had 50 years to prepare for the inevitable backlash. Most will not even try to understand and stand up. The chances of failure are probable.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

"I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in -- and the West in general -- into an unbearable hell and a choking life."

- Osama Bin Laden

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/US/01/31/gen.binladen.interview/index.html?share=1

Edited by Sweetpumper

A critical set of events took place in the USA in the 60's with the assassination of JFK and Martin Luther King. They warned us about it in advance but we weren't strong enough to resist the propaganda machine. A coup took place and unfolded over the next 50years and you are living with the consequences. There was nothing inevitable about the hijacking and corruption of your nation - you as citizens were manipulated to believe that was the only way things could be, but you were wrong. Resting back control will be hideously difficult as ignorance of the issues is widespread and they have had 50 years to prepare for the inevitable backlash. Most will not even try to understand and stand up. The chances of failure are probable.

Br Cornelius

This, all day long.

Surprisingly I feel torn on the OP's topic. On one hand, I absolutely applaud the great risk Snowden took exposing what he did. On the other hand, this program is nothing new. He's exposing something they told us about years ago (I will have to go back for sources), which makes me wonder "is this more of a security risk than an expose'?" I am dead-set on have free speech and absolutley dedicated to having an uncensored internet but I'm not so naive that I don't know some surveillance is required to keep us safe.

It's a tough one! :no:

The history of governments abusing its people is long and well documented. There is little controversy in that.

The problem is what is a rational approach to holding a government to account. The answer is not to do away with government as we then become prey to another set of abusers.

The real issue is how can we now, as citizens, hold our governments to account for the wrongs they do - whilst maintaining a society which still fits the description of been advanced and civilized.

Br Cornelius

:tu: I don't support anarchy or abolishing the government, I just want them held accountable for all the c**** they have done, and continue to keep doing. I would prefer, to go back to what our Founding Fathers envisioned and the type of limited government as outlined in our Constitution. We should limit government, not abolish it...

• Like 1

A coup took place and unfolded over the next 50years and you are living with the consequences. There was nothing inevitable about the hijacking and corruption of your nation - you as citizens were manipulated to believe that was the only way things could be, but you were wrong. Resting back control will be hideously difficult as ignorance of the issues is widespread and they have had 50 years to prepare for the inevitable backlash. Most will not even try to understand and stand up. The chances of failure are probable.

Things do indeed look bleak, however there can be some reason for hope in that global changes seem imminent. The western financial system is bankrupt and this fact cannot remain hidden for much longer.

When the vast 'wealth' that is represented by financial derivatives and rehypothecated debt finally re-aligns with the real economy, most of those who benefitted from the coup you refer to will lose their lofty positions. That will be a SHTF moment we will all remember...and I think it is coming soon.

Edited by hacktorp
  • Like 2

I don't know what people were thinking when no real objections were made when Bush and the rest of them were passing the patriot act. The government not going to give themselves a new toy to play with and not use it. I've assumed since they passed it they were watching emails and such. Didn't stop the Boston Bomber did it and they were warned about them.

What I hate about bills that give government broader powers is maybe the man up there now is trustworthy and would do the right thing but what about someone 10 or 20 years down the road. Even the people passing these bills should be thinking about their own grandkids and their future liberties.

He is a hero for the constitution.

• Like 1

I don't know what people were thinking when no real objections were made when Bush and the rest of them were passing the patriot act.

They were thinking about the planes that hit office buildings in downtown NYC. When something like that happens in your own backyard, turning everything you thought you knew upside-down, you won't be thinking as clearly

The government not going to give themselves a new toy to play with and not use it. I've assumed since they passed it they were watching emails and such. Didn't stop the Boston Bomber did it and they were warned about them.

See that's what bothers me. They haven't made any attempt to justify all of these invasive security measures. Maybe there is a national security reason behind it, but some justification would really ease the tension

• Like 1

They were thinking about the planes that hit office buildings in downtown NYC. When something like that happens in your own backyard, turning everything you thought you knew upside-down, you won't be thinking as clearly

See that's what bothers me. They haven't made any attempt to justify all of these invasive security measures. Maybe there is a national security reason behind it, but some justification would really ease the tension

All they have to do is use the word "terrorism" and people think it's justified.... :no:

All they have to do is use the word "terrorism" and people think it's justified.... :no:

Ugh. Tell me about it. That's the worst buzzword of the century.

• Like 1

Br Cornelius

I seem to remember Heinlein saying in one of his books that a government is too big if it takes up more than one building. I think of that at the local level. I think of that at the state level. I think of that at the national level.

• Like 2

I fear NOT terrorism, but the loss of our USA Constitution and Bill of Rights. It isn't the terrorists who diminished our American rights, it was our own Congressmen. Be Aware. Be Very Aware.

• Like 2

Please feel free to speak out on what you are thinking about this issue with regards to the whistleblower who re-exposed the unconstitutional atrocities by the NSA.

I wish I did feel free to speak out on issues anymore

• Like 2

I voted other.

I commend his braverly to go publlic and ultimately ruining his life for exposing something he didn't think was right. If he gave over a watch list and other sensitive processes publicly he didn't help anything for security in the world. He may be niave enough to think he can make a safe house somewhere because of some things he knows but ultimately there is none in the end.

Things are becoming more transparent and I think truth is a good thing in the end.

Whistlebowers may live for a while with ruined lives but then it's just existence not living.

He was NSA long enough to realize this, so you have to admit the man was brave to do it, even if you don't agree with how he went about it.

• Like 2

I voted other.

I commend his braverly to go publlic and ultimately ruining his life for exposing something he didn't think was right. If he gave over a watch list and other sensitive processes publicly he didn't help anything for security in the world. He may be niave enough to think he can make a safe house somewhere because of some things he knows but ultimately there is none in the end.

Things are becoming more transparent and I think truth is a good thing in the end.

Whistlebowers may live for a while with ruined lives but then it's just existence not living.

He was NSA long enough to realize this, so you have to admit the man was brave to do it, even if you don't agree with how he went about it.

Snowden was a security guard with the NSA, in IT with the CIA, then in IT again with the NSA but as a private contractor for less than three months.

Not a lot of experience to know about safe houses. This isn't a movie.