Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How do people survive solitary confinement?

Still Waters

The effect of solitary confinement on mental health can be devastating - what techniques can kidnap victims, hostages and prisoners use to get through the ordeal?

"No-one knows that you are there, so you are nothing. You are zero."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-22878268

• Like 2

Consider the experience of Hurricane Carter, as portrayed by Denzel Washington in the movie Hurricane.

Consider the experience of Bradley Manning, currently on trial. Only 9 months for him, but I'm sure he would have some stories.

• Like 1

Well in a way some days I stay in all day and night and only go out to my garden.

of course I have the birds to say hello to.. i hear their beautiful song.

I see the butter fly, fly and do a magical dance in the sky.

But I guess being in a room online with an internet connection is only being physically alone.

WE still get to be on facebook, twitter, etc.

Or talk to people on forums.

The notion of staying clean and cleaning your nails with your opposite hand's nails was interesting in the article... I imagine a lot of discipline and faith (religious or non religious) would be needed to stay intact as a human being... so devastating...

it all depends how comfortable you are with your own company I suppose.

when I was on the road, I could go for weeks without speaking to anyone, and days on end without seeing anyone (Wales is great if you like solitude!).

I was never bored, never lonely, and enjoyed the sense of peace, freedom, and being removed from the world in general.

some people cope with isolation better than others, but if you're not mentally equipped for it, then I imagine it could be quite frightening.....

• Like 1

James Stockdale provided a good example of how to survive in such circumstances, having memorized these lines from Epictetus's Discourses, before being shot down in North Vietnam.

"There are things which are within our power, and there are things which are beyond our power. Within our power are opinion, aim, desire, aversion, and in one word, whatever affairs are our own. Beyond our power are body, property, reputation, office, and in one word, whatever are not properly our own affairs."

"... Remember, then, that if you attribute freedom to things by nature dependent and take what belongs to others for your own, you will be hindered, you will lament, you will be disturbed, you will find fault both with gods and men...If it concerns anything beyond our power, be prepared to say that it is nothing to you."

quoted from Nancy Sherman's book Stoic Warriors.

I've expressed myself into my own sort of confinement for 2 years, until a few months ago.

I spoke to no one really, but my boss over text, or a few of my family, but never in voice. I consider it meaningful, because I placed my self so far apart from everyone else, that I learned who I was and what people really are. I've learned too much to even realize in those years..

I was very social, but after certain events I self-imposed as much secrecy as I could retain.

I didn't go anywhere but where I was certain I'd be alone.

I wasn't depressed, I just needed to get away from all of people and find my way. I happened to have found it after a while.

But, going out of bounds is no place for just anyone to escape. I was a figure of pain and I knew how to discover my way. We all have a different path, so we all set out different ways.

Back to topic. I went insane for a while, questioned, shouted, and hated to no one but the Universe. I didn't direct it to anyone.

I self-imposed my solitude, so that I would become more patient and understanding. I wanted to figure out myself. It isn't something you can perfect; it is a lifelong process, to find oneself. It was painful, yet enlightening, either way.

• Like 1

I believe Adam & Eve were supposed to remain alone with God only God to talk to & when they hid their selves from God & clung only to each other then they started the behavioural pattern that causes people to seek each others company instead of seeking God. Then they form belief systems to protect their shallow reality.

it all depends how comfortable you are with your own company I suppose.

when I was on the road, I could go for weeks without speaking to anyone, and days on end without seeing anyone (Wales is great if you like solitude!).

I was never bored, never lonely, and enjoyed the sense of peace, freedom, and being removed from the world in general.

some people cope with isolation better than others, but if you're not mentally equipped for it, then I imagine it could be quite frightening.....

I need to visit Wales or live there. That would be quite exqusite