Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would you put your mind in their hands?

pantodragon

Radio ga-ga

Having experienced severe depression, today’s radio guest, a well-known comedienne, described how she took a degree in psychotherapy (or one of those psycho-whatsits, I can’t remember which) as a way of getting to grips with her condition.

One of her symptoms, she said, was feelings of inadequacy, especially when in the company of the likes of at least one of the other guests, a well-known, well-qualified celebrity mathematician. In other words, she felt dwarfed beside such an intellectual “giant”. (Intellectual giant? Oh give me a break!)

She then went on to explain where these feelings of inadequacy come from. No surprises when they turned out to be a throwback from our hunter-gatherer ancestors. Thankfully she spared me by not mentioning the “fight or flight” response. If I hear that one trotted out once more, I’m telling you, I won’t be answerable for the consequences……..

But I ASK you? What do we pay these damned pscho-whatsits for? I mean, ALL our depression and feelings of inadequacy are because we can’t shake of our pre-historic past????!!!!! Want to know what that REALLY means? What it means is this: those psycho-whatsits haven’t a clue but this sounds good so let’s use it folks, ‘cos no one will know any better, no one will ever tumble to the fact that us psycho-whatsits don’t know s**t about how the mind works. I mean, honestly! (Actually, honesty has nothing to do with it.)

Underlying this claptrap is the idea that our feelings of inadequacy are part of one’s “personality”. It’s like anger management. If you have anger problems, then it’s not because the government or your co-workers or your so-called friends are ******g you over, it’s not because your boss is screwing you, making you sweat blood, for slave wages i.e. he gets rich and drives home at night to his mansion while you stand for a two hours in a slow, crowded bus to get home to your box in a former council estate. Oh no. If you get angry at your boss, it’s your “personality” that’s the problem, nothing to do with the fact that he’s a b*****d.

Let’s face it, this is a lads’ world. It has been for millennia. It’s laddish behaviour that drives us nuts --- lads just love to tease. It’s lads that come up with these idiotic “throwback” theories. It’s lads that decide what’s wrong with our minds and how to “cure” the problem. Yet have you ever heard lads talking? They don’t talk. They grunt. Communicate with other people? Forget it! And as to lads being able to take care of other people and treat them for depression or OCD or whatever. Who are you kidding? Lads can’t even look after themselves --- I mean, LOOK at them!

• Like 1

No i would never put my mind in their hands.

I have a free and unique mind..

mysandry seems to be a common theme in your threads PD, would you like to lie down on the couch and tell me why....?

• Like 1

Some people actually get better if they seek help. It all depends on the person and where or whom they are seeking treatment from. I for one believe that one should look to themselves to sort out whatever psychological problems they have before they ask someone else for help.

• Like 3

Been there, done that.

Tell them what they want to hear and you're good to go.

Manipulation at its finest.

• Like 3

Some people actually get better if they seek help.

MOST people get better with help J., it's just a matter of having the strength to ask for it.....

It all depends on the person and where or whom they are seeking treatment from.

agreed on the first point J. but as to the second, I guess it's all down to whether you ask one of those grunting, ball-scratching, subhuman ''lads'' or not I suppose....

I for one believe that one should look to themselves to sort out whatever psychological problems they have before they ask someone else for help.

most people do J. but unfortunately, not everyone has the strength to be able to cope these days, so they find therapy & peace with the assistance of others.

(unless they turn to one of those uncommunicative, semi-literate, neanderthal ''lads'' by mistake of course.)

Been there, done that.

Tell them what they want to hear and you're good to go.

Manipulation at its finest.

that's us ''lads'' for you OR, always on the lookout for the easily manipulated!

(if you believe SOME people that is....)

but as a VERY wise man once said-

''who is the more foolish, the fool? or the fool that follows him....?''

;-)

• Like 2

All free-thinkers be damned!

• Like 1

All free-thinkers be damned!

that would be the women then OR. or at least that portion who aren't rabid, flat shoe-wearing men-haters with an axe to grind.....

;-)

Been there, done that.

I wouldnt've thought you were the therapy type OR. i've seen a few of your profile feeds, and there's a lot of poetic imagery in there!

granted, some of it's quite dark at times, but most art is born of suffering, but you didn't really strike me as a truly tormented type....?

that would be the women then OR. or at least that portion who aren't rabid, flat shoe-wearing men-haters with an axe to grind.....

;-)

Can't a female wear comfortable shoes without someone calling her a man-hater?

I wouldnt've thought you were the therapy type OR. i've seen a few of your profile feeds, and there's a lot of poetic imagery in there!

granted, some of it's quite dark at times, but most art is born of suffering, but you didn't really strike me as a truly tormented type....?

I think Edgar Allan Poe wrote this specifically for me:

From childhood's hour I have not been

As others were; I have not seen

As others saw; I could not bring

My passions from a common spring.

From the same source I have not taken

My sorrow; I could not awaken

My heart to joy at the same tone;

And all I loved, I loved alone.

Then—in my childhood, in the dawn

Of a most stormy life—was drawn

From every depth of good and ill

The mystery which binds me still:

From the torrent or the fountain,

From the red cliff or the mountain,

From the sun that round me rolled

In its autumn tint of gold,

From the lightning in the sky

As it passed my flying by,

From the thunder and the storm,

And the cloud that took the form

(When the rest of Heaven was blue)

Of a demon in my view.

We can overcome the torment, but what's been seen, cannot be unseen.

• Like 3

Can't a female wear comfortable shoes without someone calling her a man-hater?

I don't know ratte, probably in the same way that not everyone who owns a pair of testicles is a misogynistic wife-beater I guess.....

well OD, I hope things get easier for you man, and that it all works out alright in the end.....

:-)

• Like 1

well OD, I hope things get easier for you man, and that it all works out alright in the end.....

But of course, sir!

I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul. (;

• Like 1

I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul. (;

with that kind of attitude OR, the world's any bi-valve mollusc you choose!

I was raised by a chronic severe alcoholic father and a paranoic-schizophrenic mother, so I don't have to go very far back in history to identify the genesis of dysfunction. While I've always gotten along and coped, I wanted to do more than that, I wanted to thrive. When I realized that my self-taught coping techniques developed as a child weren't always effective in an adult environment, I went to Al-anon meetings and started seeing a trans-personal therapist. It was one of the best gifts I've ever given myself. My psycho-whatsit had not just one clue, but several and encouraged me to figure it out for myself, which is what most therapists do; good ones don't tell you what's wrong and what the cure is, they walk beside us during the journey of recovery, they encourage us and support us. And, here's the shocker, he was a LAD! I've found there's any number of people, professionals or otherwise, who are willing to love and support us, and that there are times when we need to allow ourselves to be supported by people who have a different kind of wisdom or knowledge than we do. I guess that was the other important decision I made, to give myself a break and ask for and accept help. Here's a trippy thing about that: when I consciously made that decision I heard a loud snap coming from my body, like a big tree branch being snapped in two. I am so grateful for that moment, as it changed my life. And the people who helped me reach that point? Three LADS, all of them either a therapist or counselor, dedicated to the work of healing.

Panto, you do realize there is always more than one side of a story? And that someone can have the same experience you have and reach a different conclusion? And that difference makes neither person wrong nor right, nor good or bad?

Edited by Beany
  • Like 2

Radio ga-ga

Having experienced severe depression, today’s radio guest, a well-known comedienne, described how she took a degree in psychotherapy (or one of those psycho-whatsits, I can’t remember which) as a way of getting to grips with her condition.

One of her symptoms, she said, was feelings of inadequacy, especially when in the company of the likes of at least one of the other guests, a well-known, well-qualified celebrity mathematician. In other words, she felt dwarfed beside such an intellectual “giant”. (Intellectual giant? Oh give me a break!)

She then went on to explain where these feelings of inadequacy come from. No surprises when they turned out to be a throwback from our hunter-gatherer ancestors. Thankfully she spared me by not mentioning the “fight or flight” response. If I hear that one trotted out once more, I’m telling you, I won’t be answerable for the consequences……..

But I ASK you? What do we pay these damned pscho-whatsits for? I mean, ALL our depression and feelings of inadequacy are because we can’t shake of our pre-historic past????!!!!! Want to know what that REALLY means? What it means is this: those psycho-whatsits haven’t a clue but this sounds good so let’s use it folks, ‘cos no one will know any better, no one will ever tumble to the fact that us psycho-whatsits don’t know s**t about how the mind works. I mean, honestly! (Actually, honesty has nothing to do with it.)

Underlying this claptrap is the idea that our feelings of inadequacy are part of one’s “personality”. It’s like anger management. If you have anger problems, then it’s not because the government or your co-workers or your so-called friends are ******g you over, it’s not because your boss is screwing you, making you sweat blood, for slave wages i.e. he gets rich and drives home at night to his mansion while you stand for a two hours in a slow, crowded bus to get home to your box in a former council estate. Oh no. If you get angry at your boss, it’s your “personality” that’s the problem, nothing to do with the fact that he’s a b*****d.

Let’s face it, this is a lads’ world. It has been for millennia. It’s laddish behaviour that drives us nuts --- lads just love to tease. It’s lads that come up with these idiotic “throwback” theories. It’s lads that decide what’s wrong with our minds and how to “cure” the problem. Yet have you ever heard lads talking? They don’t talk. They grunt. Communicate with other people? Forget it! And as to lads being able to take care of other people and treat them for depression or OCD or whatever. Who are you kidding? Lads can’t even look after themselves --- I mean, LOOK at them!

I love & respect your uniqueness!!

This is an awesome rant..

however I think you need therapy..

You obviously have issues with authority & males..

If it's any consolation, I believe the highest authority in the universe is your self. (Just sometimes we need help discovering this)

Also gender bias, and gender roles should be illegal, (Just don't ask a bloke to have a baby...)

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 2

great story Beany, and kudos on making it work for yourself!

*doffs cap*

Watching this cured my "penis envy" .

you'd be jealous as **** if you saw mine S33k!!

:-D

• Like 1

I love & respect your uniqueness!!

This is an awesome rant..

(the lord giveth)

however I think you need therapy..

(and the lord taketh away.)

I believe the highest authority in the universe is your self.

who PD is??

jeez, get a bloody room you two!!

Radio ga-ga

But I ASK you? What do we pay these damned psycho-whatsits for? I mean, ALL our depression and feelings of inadequacy are because we can’t shake of our prehistoric past????!!!!! Want to know what that REALLY means? What it means is this: those psycho-whatsits haven’t a clue but this sounds good so let’s use it folks, ‘cos no one will know any better, no one will ever tumble to the fact that us psycho-whatsits don’t know s**t about how the mind works. I mean, honestly! (Actually, honesty has nothing to do with it.)

Was she British? Hmmm a very illuminating post and plenty to go at there... not all 'Psychotherapists' (damned psycho-whatsits) talk s**t ;):P

Edited by Star of the Sea

you'd be jealous as **** if you saw mine S33k!!

Lol shroom.

• Like 1

Was she British?

given the clues(?), i'd say the woman with feelings of inadequacy was either pamela stephenson or jo brand, and the person she was feeling inadequate towards was carol vorderman, but there wasn't much to go on really so I could be wrong.....

Edited by shrooma

given the clues(?), i'd say the woman with feelings of inadequacy was either pamela stephenson or jo brand, and the person she was feeling inadequate towards was carol vorderman, but there wasn't much to go on really so I could be wrong.....

I wondered if it was Pamela Stephenson Shrooma. I heard she had gone onto do her Phd and is now a Psychologist... not surprising being married to Billy lol! (I love Billy Connelly :lol: ) Carol Vorderman is a good guess, got to give it to her; she is one smart lady.

I think 'Professor 'T's' post is on the right track.

• Like 1