Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Levon Wameling; another Caylee Anthony?

Aaronsmom

News is just coming out about a missing 9-month-old infant in Utica, NY, Levon Wameling. His father, Jevon Wameling, is the last person known to have him in his custody, and he's telling police the baby disappeared off the porch of his home over two weeks ago--and for some unfathomable reason, he didn't tell anyone. His story is that the baby was crying in the middle of the night and wouldn't stop (a chilling detail) so Jevon says he took the baby out in a stroller to walk around with him, hoping that would calm him and get him to sleep, which Jevon says happened. When he returned home, Jevon says he found himself locked out, so he left Levon on the porch while he went to the back to access an open window through which he could enter. He says he got inside, went to the front door and discovered Levon vanished from the porch. If he's given a reason why he didn't tell anyone about it in the two weeks that ensued, I haven't heard it. Jevon's mother is the one who wanted police informed when she was told her grandson was missing (just like in Caylee Anthony's disappearance). Reportedly, she and her husband consulted an atty, who alerted the police. The baby's young mother is in in-patient rehab (so typical) and is not considered a suspect by the police. Poor little thing. I don't think he has a prayer.

I think you are correct. How awful is it when the BEST outcome one can hope for is a kidnapping?

• Like 2

His story is that the baby was crying in the middle of the night and wouldn't stop (a chilling detail)

Indeed, it is chilling...and it's the only part of his story that's believable.

• Like 1

Babies cry when they need something. Why is that so intolerable to some people?

Thinking back to when Aaron was a baby, I remember times he cried so loud, for so long, and seemed so inconsolable, I felt close to the edge more than once. The cries penetrated my skull. The pediatrician thought height have tummy pain and prescribed medication. When it would hit, it seemed like it was always late at night. His dad HAD to sleep so he could function at work, so that left me to sit up with him. I was so sleep-deprived and constantly exhausted, there were times I felt like I'd go crazy if I could not get some quiet and some sleep. And I'm someone who was much older than Levon's father, I was educated, had way more resources and another parent with me. I can really see how someone with a lot less going for him could not handle that kind of stress. And it's not unusual stress, is the thing. It's absolutely normal. Everyone who cares for an infant or young child goes through it. It's a wonder, really, as many of us survive childhood, to the point the world is over-populated.

You are right regi; it probably IS the only thing he said that has any truth to it. I wonder what he did with the baby and if he will ever be found. The mother was at a press conference today, sobbing and pleading for the public's help. She said if Levon is dead, it doesn't matter--she still wants him back so that he can "be put to rest." It's obvious she knows it looks very bad for Levon. She looks like a kid too...maybe 19 or so. Sad story.

• Like 2

it probably IS the only thing he said that has any truth to it.

Yeah, and it appears to have been the triggering event.

I wonder what he did with the baby and if he will ever be found.

Maybe he'll confess, or maybe he'll begin to claim it was an accident, but at least lead to the body.

I don't know what the area is like around his home, or if he had transportation, but that info. offers an idea of where to search.

I'm someone who was much older than Levon's father, I was educated, had way more resources and another parent with me. I can really see how someone with a lot less going for him could not handle that kind of stress. And it's not unusual stress, is the thing. It's absolutely normal.

What you're hitting on is what I'd term 'emotional health'. I think experience/age, education, and resources all can be factors, but indirectly.

Edited by regi

I've seen many cases similar to this where the baby will not stop crying and the parent actually shakes them - like that will get them to stop... It just makes it worse, so the parent shakes the baby harder, finally inflicting terminal damage... Babies are so fragile... Then the parent freaks out at what they had done... Some take the baby to the hospital (almost always too late) but others hide the body and concoct a cover story...

I'm not saying that is what happened here... But on the face of it, it matches the pattern....

Edited by Taun
  • Like 2

You are right, Taun. This one does fit that scenario quite well, and certainly is the most common cause of brain damage or death in infants when a parent becomes overwhelmed by non-stop crying. I just read a little more about the case and the picture gets more grim. The mom and dad are unmarried but sharing an apartment in a two-flat. The mom had been the primary caregiver from the baby's birth, until very recently when she went into drug rehab as an in-patient. This means the dad was solely responsible for the boy only a matter of day. So only days after the baby was alone with his father, he gets kidnapped off the front porch in the middle of the night in a quiet neighborhood. But more ominous is the father has had some tangles with LE,. He was busted a couple of times for drug possession and arrested once for getting into a screaming match with the downstairs neighbors for loud music playing, at which time he allegedly assaulted one of the arresting officers and faced charges for that too. Sounds like the guy has a short fuse, poor temper control and possibly a substance abuse issue. It doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes to put it together. It's like a script that writes itself. That poor baby. Born into a life where he never had much of a chance. So tragic...and all too common.

• 3 months later...

As those who've followed the news are aware, a body recovered from a river earlier this month is now positively identified as that of this previously missing baby.

I don't recall it reported that LE had searched any rivers for the missing baby, but it would have been an absolute no-brainer since it was obvious from the get-go that that man disposed of that baby's body somewhere, and that river is a hop, skip and a jump from where that man was living.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/21/us/new-york-missing-baby-remains/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

The poor thing, some people really shouldn't have children :( does anyone know anything about the Paula Sims case? She murdered two of her own babies because they were girls and told a pretty similar story to the police each time - that she had been at home alone and an intruder had broken in and stolen the baby. Police couldn't do anything about the first murder because they din't have enough evidence even though the baby's body was found close to her house.

Thinking back to when Aaron was a baby, I remember times he cried so loud, for so long, and seemed so inconsolable, I felt close to the edge more than once. The cries penetrated my skull. The pediatrician thought height have tummy pain and prescribed medication. When it would hit, it seemed like it was always late at night. His dad HAD to sleep so he could function at work, so that left me to sit up with him. I was so sleep-deprived and constantly exhausted, there were times I felt like I'd go crazy if I could not get some quiet and some sleep. And I'm someone who was much older than Levon's father, I was educated, had way more resources and another parent with me. I can really see how someone with a lot less going for him could not handle that kind of stress. And it's not unusual stress, is the thing. It's absolutely normal. Everyone who cares for an infant or young child goes through it. It's a wonder, really, as many of us survive childhood, to the point the world is over-populated.

You are right regi; it probably IS the only thing he said that has any truth to it. I wonder what he did with the baby and if he will ever be found. The mother was at a press conference today, sobbing and pleading for the public's help. She said if Levon is dead, it doesn't matter--she still wants him back so that he can "be put to rest." It's obvious she knows it looks very bad for Levon. She looks like a kid too...maybe 19 or so. Sad story.

Thank you for sharing this. It reminded me of when I first became a mother and my mother told me, "Babies can cry so much, you want to do anything to make them stop! Don't be surprised if you ever feel like that. Call me! There were times I thought I would go crazy if you didn't stop crying and I really could have hurt you." Please believe me my mom was in no way ever a child abuser.

I am not in anyway justifying or even sympathizing with what has happened here. What I am doing is being grateful that I had a mother who gave me some place to go day or night to share and get support if I ever needed it. I think because she did share that I never even got close to feeling that way. I always knew I was never alone in the struggle.

Aaronsmom, you are great for sharing your feelings. Don't forget to share them with Aaron too when the time comes. It was a life supporting knowledge for me. It will also be to him.

Edited by Duncansmom
  • Like 1