Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

how would your life change?

MacsMom

How would the way you conduct yourself change if you knew there was no God and therefore no punishment for moral indiscretions? You would still be subject to man's law but not God's law.

• Like 2

Would not change at all. Already believe God is a social and cultural construct created by mankind as we evolved but also that God created us to evolve.

So it is a myth to me but one that our Creator created us to create.

Taking one part of the equation away would not take away the comfort I have in this myth, I would still believe, believe in what we have created.

• Like 1

MommaMac I'm not subject too man's law or God's law. Momma I am the law, and I make my own rules, and that's how I live my life, because that's what God wants and my fellow mankind.

Nah but on a serious note to answer your question, it depends on your view of what God is. You know where I'm getting at? Say for instance God may be an amazing Great Oak Tree to someone, and it's well documented that Oak Trees do exist and if this man can prove his Great Oak Tree exist then wouldn't that mean God exist as well? Or at least his personal God? You see you can't just go around saying that God exist or doesn't exist because theres too many variations and definitions to what God really is.

Now if your talking about The Christian God, the supposed self proclaimed God's message and man's written One and only true God. Then if we found out he didn't exist then I do believe it would be utterly devastating to society, in fact it could possibly destroy the entire civilization of mankind as we know it. The reasons being is because man even though has caused mass amounts of violence, murder, and suffering throughout the centuries in God's name. God still gives people a sense of peace, the word of God still brings hope to the desperate, faith to the willing and believers. God gives man the strength to carry on each day, despite all the damage that's been caused in his name through all the ages.

Now I'm not saying God is good, and I'm definitely not saying to go to Sunday school and start preaching I'm not even saying pick up a bible. In fact your better off without it in my opinion, and your better off and can be just as strong if not stronger without God than you can be with God in my humble opinion. But it's too late too go back now baby.

The damage is done, the word is out the flyers are flying high into the heavens with God's name written all over it. The masses will never and can never go back on the word of God because there's too many believers in society. To live in a society without the idea of any God would take thousands of years if not longer. And I'm not talking about just a couple thousand years, because when I say that I mean close to 10 maybe even up to 20 thousand years or more.

The kings of centuries pass needed religion to control the people, and science got here a little too late. Think about it for a minute.... How many science buildings do you see around your neighborhood? One if your lucky??? How many physics labs or labs dedicated too the theories of evolution do you see in your cities and townships? Now think about this, how many churches do you see in your neighborhood. 5, or 6, 10, or maybe even 12 or higher? How could you tell people that God doesn't exist in a world like that? What are you going to do with all of the buildings, and all the money that went into building them? You see the trick is not to debunk God or prove his non existence, but to prove he's real, or try your damndest to keep the lie going for as long as you can.

And people are lazy we always want someone else to figure out the answers for us, well at least the majority of us work that way. Nobody likes solving the riddles themselves it's too difficult so we leave that up to the intelligent ones. Don't tell me you never had a classmate look at your answers too your math homework in highschool if you were a math wizard. And that's because no one want's to work out the problem. So yea like I said, finding out that God didn't exist would kill off our species, or come pretty damn close too it. Think WW3, or even worse a World Civil War. Not even the arrival of extraterrestrials would hurt society as bad as losing the idea of God, and this is coming from someone who doesn't believe in God. Well for the most part, lets say I like to call God energy or if you want to get Hollywood scifi / George Lucas you could say it's the force. But I call it what most scientist call it energy.

Godspeed! TNO :tu:

Edited by The Nameless One

How would the way you conduct yourself change if you knew there was no God and therefore no punishment for moral indiscretions? You would still be subject to man's law but not God's law.

There would still be "punishment" for "moral indiscretion." Do a harmful act and the evil comes back on you. Criminals get sent to jail, reckless drivers have accidents, adulterers get diseases.Even when you "escape" the negative consequences of bad acting, you still are altered in your nature when you do. It may make you more likely (you become callous) to do it again until you are finally caught, or you may suffer subtle consequences like guilt or fear of discovery.The same applies to good acts; kindnesses are almost always rewarded in all sorts of ways.

• Like 2

First off, I already know there is no God, and no 'punishment' after death. Even if you believe in God, the whole notion of some supreme being who will punish you when you die (but, of course, he still loves you, as George Carlin once put it) is frankly absurd.

I behave myself in a certain way according to two things, basically: my own morals, and the law. For instance, I drive slowly in a residential area not just because the speed limit is 35km/h, but because I know that if some kid is playing in the street and I run him over, I would have done a really bad thing. Even if nobody gets to know it was me, I still would not be able to live with myself.

I think the notion that people don't commit immoral acts because they are afraid that if they do, God will punish them, really reflects poorly on those people. It would confirm that religion is really a way of controlling people into acting in a certain way for fear or retribution from some divine power.

Edited by Exorcist
  • Like 2

It wouldn't change me at all. I already live as if an afterlife isn't a certainty. I help people when I can, but I look after myself and my mate first.

I don't follow God's laws anyway.

• Like 1

No living person has ever been subjected to God's law. All law is man's law, no matter what claims are made otherwise. Moral indiscretions are different to crimes, and typically they carry their own punishment. Smoke cigarettes and you'll get morbidity and a higher chance of cancer. Commit adultery and you have to face the fallout from your partner.

• Like 1

I'd be dead if there was no god so it wouldnt affect me.

But hypothetically without a god who knew my every thought and action, i would only have to worry about getting caught. I could think ANYTHING I liked, and do anything i could get away with. Man's law is pretty pathetic really these days; even murderers only get put away for 20 years or so. There is no hard labour, no solitary confinement, and they get to watch free tv and are paid for work they do.

I don't think mine would change. I try to be a nice person because..... well I want to be a nice person lol. And I want people to be nice to me, although life doesn't always work that way!

I'm not a good person just because I live in fear of being punished when I die.

No living person has ever been subjected to God's law. All law is man's law, no matter what claims are made otherwise. Moral indiscretions are different to crimes, and typically they carry their own punishment. Smoke cigarettes and you'll get morbidity and a higher chance of cancer. Commit adultery and you have to face the fallout from your partner.

Every human who choses to be subject to god's law, IS subject to gods law. I know i am subject to god's law, but he is both just and merciful. God's law applies to what we think, as well as how we act, because god lives in both our hearts and our minds, and knows every thing within us as he knows himself. In secular law I can think what I want, but not do as i want. Under god's law I am expected to think and act as one, in obedience to his laws.

The motivation for this is neither fear nor legalism but love; the same reason why i obeyed my parent's rules and laws, as part of a loving reciprocal connection.

My father or mother would wash my mouth out with soap or cane me, if I swore in the presence of a woman or disrespected one, or raised a hand to one, but because they taught me about love and respect,Ii never, then nor now, swear even silently in the presence of a woman or think disrespectfully about one or even contemplate striking one.. To give an extreme example We were doing a restorative justice session at the weekly staff meeting and were role playing. I was given the role of an abusive student who told the teacher to, F.... Off

I couldn't say the actual words, so i subsituted something similar, but non offensive. When asked why,I explained that I didnt even think in those terms/language, in the company of my colleagues, and certainly wasn't going to use offensive language, even in role play, in an audience where some might be offended.

Most people understood, but there were a number of staff who swear a lot, and they just didn't get it.

To me, swearing, even in my head is unnecessary, shows a paucity of language/vocab, and is indicative of a lack of self discipline. I dont criticise others, but i choose different standards for myself. I've never heard god swear, and dont think he needs to hear me swear either. He is a better communicator than that.

It is about me and god, and our respect for each other. Like it was about my parents and I, and our love and respect for each other. My mum and dad never swore in our presence and as far as i know then, never swore at all. If something is wrong, it is wrong even inside your head.

It is really as bad to think about hitting a woman, as it is to hit one, when you consider what it says about yourself. it is really as bad to swear inside your head as out loud, when you consider why you are swearing.

Edited by Mr Walker

No change. I do not act the way I do now because of god. Of course I don't believe in divine punishment either. I think we are perfectly good at torchering ourselves. People that commit horrible misdeeds are already tormented. :(

• Like 1

Who do religious people think that non religious people do not know the difference between right and wrong?

You do not have to be religious to have morals! and as far as i am concerned, my morals are not based on some biblical novel or what some person tells me their god says is right! my morals are based on my natural human instinct to be a good person among society.

Most wars have been over religion, do you think gods laws have control on the wrongs in this life? I don`t!

• Like 2

Not one bit, my morals are based on Ethics and Reason. Believe or not you can Google it. I find no moral advantage to the Abrahamic laws. Some of them are darn right hateful and disruptive to a civilized society.

Edited by Darkwind
  • Like 4

But hypothetically without a god who knew my every thought and action, i would only have to worry about getting caught. I could think ANYTHING I liked, and do anything i could get away with.

If there were no God or Heaven and you only get one short life, why would you spend it living in fear of getting caught and causing pain to people living a life of suffering, when you could be living a life of happiness having fun with others making the best of the short life you have?

I follow the law of the land and the do no harm law. The person I am when no one is watching, the person I face in the mirror is one of integrity, that is what matters at the end of the day. I do not need to believe in a g-d to be a quality person. Some of the god like laws ask that one believes ideas that are harmful, I will not be peer pressured into following laws or supporting ideologies that I can see harm others. I prefer to seek ways that are tolerant and fairer.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4

If there were no God or Heaven and you only get one short life, why would you spend it living in fear of getting caught and causing pain to people living a life of suffering, when you could be living a life of happiness having fun with others making the best of the short life you have?

Because it would be fun and pleasurable. I spoke hypothetically. I am moral person from my parents upbringing, whether atheist or not, but many people are not, as we can observe from their behaviour. I know people who steal rape and even kill for advantage and for pleasure.

And many more who drink and drive, or speed for fun, and end up killing or harming themselves and others. They do not VALUE life enough. One of the prime moralities of christianity is that human life is absolutely valuable because we are each a part of god Without that connection to god, human life can remain valuable using logic, but its value can also be "bargained down" using the same logical process.

It is really as bad to think about hitting a woman, as it is to hit one, when you consider what it says about yourself. it is really as bad to swear inside your head as out loud, when you consider why you are swearing.

Personally, it upsets me when men say it is wrong to hit women, but never mention other men. Either it's wrong to hit period, or both should only be struck under certain circumstances. Such as; someone trying to kill you, or, someone trying to kidnap your children. Something like that is just driving another wedge between the genders.

Ironically, as I'm typing my response, a cop car's siren goes off less than fifty feet away from me and the first word out of my mouth was "s***!" ... It startled me. Haha!

Have you ever been to a jail. Never had the pleasure of staying, but I have dealt with plenty of people who have. I never have seen such a bunch of Bible Koran thumping criminals like you see in jail or just out and on their way back in. I don't think it is working. It doesn't teach people to live in the here an now, it teaches how to live after death. Learning to calm and center their inner core will do them much better, than the threat of invisible sky demon.

Edited by Darkwind
  • Like 2

Have you ever been to a jail. Never had the pleasure of staying, but I have dealt with plenty of people who have. I never have seen such a bunch of Bible Koran thumping criminals like you see in jail or just out and on their way back in. I don't think it is working. It doesn't teach people to live in the here an now, it teaches how to live after death. Learning to calm and center their inner core will do them much better, than the threat of invisible sky demon.

This is a very good point that often gets overlooked. I work in the criminal justice system and, anecdotally, there are far more of the religious here than in the community. I don't know of any research or surveys on the matter, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the same.

Whilst I wouldn't go so far as to say that believing in God makes you more likely to offend, it certainly doesn't have the opposite effect.

• Like 1

This is a very good point that often gets overlooked. I work in the criminal justice system and, anecdotally, there are far more of the religious here than in the community. I don't know of any research or surveys on the matter, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the same.

Whilst I wouldn't go so far as to say that believing in God makes you more likely to offend, it certainly doesn't have the opposite effect.

maybe they 'turn to god' as seeing a possibility of early release?

like 'hey, jesus is my friend, so I can't be all bad anymore, right?'

if I was locked up for 20yrs, i'd try any trick to get out early, but I value & enjoy my freedom, so i'd never put myself in that position, but if I WERE.....

maybe they 'turn to god' as seeing a possibility of early release?

like 'hey, jesus is my friend, so I can't be all bad anymore, right?'

if I was locked up for 20yrs, i'd try any trick to get out early, but I value & enjoy my freedom, so i'd never put myself in that position, but if I WERE.....

I wouldn't rule it out. But it's not going to work here. They have to a lot more than praise the lord to get out. I work with mentally ill offenders, and they can be detained indefinitely.

• Like 2

Personally, it upsets me when men say it is wrong to hit women, but never mention other men. Either it's wrong to hit period, or both should only be struck under certain circumstances. Such as; someone trying to kill you, or, someone trying to kidnap your children. Something like that is just driving another wedge between the genders.

Ironically, as I'm typing my response, a cop car's siren goes off less than fifty feet away from me and the first word out of my mouth was "s***!" ... It startled me. Haha!

There is a difference of degree. I've never hit a bloke either, except when attacked, and i do not approve of it. But women are biologically not as muscular as men, nor are their bones as dense or as strong. Even their rib cages are less robust. And so there is a biological physical reason for my differntiation. I do NOT believe in treating women AS men or equal to men in instances where they are not. Nor do i find men the equal of women in many areas.To think otherwise is illogical and in opposition to physical facts. I would treat a child or older person with the same physical caution.

So hitting a woman (Unless they are particularly strong or well trained) is like hitting a child an elderly person, or someone much smaller and weaker than yourself. That makes it even more wrong, cowardly and contemptible, than two blokes hitting each other.

Whereas i would defend myself from a man, I would walk away from a woman and have on occasion done so while being struck by them . ( Each was mentally disturbed in one way or another,eg suffering from advanced alzheimers, but one can generally reason with women better than men.)

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

In many american states the parole system is biased towards prisoners who give evidence of a changed attitude and behaviour. TAking up religion is one such indicator.

However gaol often gives some people a chance to re think atitudes/values, and to learn control and discipline, which they lacked before. Religion is often a sign of an increased maturity in previously very immature human beings.

Ps my "religion "/ spiritual experience with god, has nothing to do with life after death. I dont believe in such a thing. It teaches me values, attitudes, and lessons on how to be the best person I can be, and how to then use myself for the betterment of others. How to make the earth and my community a better place for everyone. The core of what it does is to create a new and empowered me.