Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Fork in the Road.

Grandpa Greenman

I have just step on to the Path of becoming Pagan clergy. I knew when I started on this Path it was coming. I been resisting it. It means a lot more discipline and study. Clergy is needed. Hardest is an attitude adjustment. I don't suffer fools well to the point of being intolerant. Then I think what Clergy in other faiths say about my Path and I think I must take the higher ground and bit my tongue. Y'all, in real world I bit my tongue until it falls off. The best I can do is show I am just seeking the same thing in a different way, as are they hopefully.

I get a lot from my Pagan Path. I think I would be a very sad and bitter person in a wheelchair without it. It is not for everyone, but for some of us it works just fine.

Time for a walk in the forest.

• Like 4

Wishing you the best in bringing blessings and balance to others with your decision to do what you were meant to do all along.

• Like 1

Hope everything goes well for you!

Does this mean you get a special robe hat.. as well as magicakal staff??

congrats! You are now a White Wizard :)

But yeah more responsibility...

keep up the good work!

A walk in the forest sounds great :)

A walk in the forest after 10pm sounds risky, at least for us city witches. Safety first but knowing it is not his first rodeo is a bit assuring.

Hope everything goes well for you!

Does this mean you get a special robe hat.. as well as magicakal staff??

congrats! You are now a White Wizard :)

But yeah more responsibility...

keep up the good work!

A walk in the forest sounds great :)

I already have a staff. lol The Reformed Druids of N America do wear white, but its optional. I'm not doing a pointy white hat, no no, not here in the south. I am not insane.

• Like 2

That's an important decision, Darkwind, congratulations for stepping into it. What kind of study or education or practice is involved?

May the end of your trail find you well. :)

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

I have just step on to the Path of becoming Pagan clergy. I knew when I started on this Path it was coming. I been resisting it. It means a lot more discipline and study. Clergy is needed. Hardest is an attitude adjustment. I don't suffer fools well to the point of being intolerant. Then I think what Clergy in other faiths say about my Path and I think I must take the higher ground and bit my tongue. Y'all, in real world I bit my tongue until it falls off. The best I can do is show I am just seeking the same thing in a different way, as are they hopefully.

I get a lot from my Pagan Path. I think I would be a very sad and bitter person in a wheelchair without it. It is not for everyone, but for some of us it works just fine.

Your right, being a cleryman for your path means that what you say or do will have a deeper impact on those you are trying to help. You are a very smart and insightful man, I have no doubt that you will do a good job....just bite your tongue when the times arrives, just not to hard LOL.

I would feel comfortable coming to you, you seem to have a great deal of wisdom, even if we do walk a different path.

peace

mark

• Like 1

That's an important decision, Darkwind, congratulations for stepping into it. What kind of study or education or practice is involved?

Lots of reading, meditation and interaction with nature.

This is the Reformed Druid of N America website. http://rdna.info/

Thank you, Mark. May the wind always be at your back.

They're going to be lucky to have you, you will be great, I know it. Congratulations and best of luck. I totally love going to those kind of things. I wish there were more here that weren't infiltrated by whackadoos from space. The pagan community needs people like you, imo.

• Like 1

That's what UM is for. Bite your tonge in your ministry and let your inner voice guide you, then let it loose ( within the rules here). All leaders need an outlet. ;)

• Like 1

the choice to bite your tongue.....

it is the path of teacher and leader in essence that you chose...

i was being long winded ... so i shall edit myself....

these people come into your life to show you what it is that needs to change in you....

"people dislike in others what they see in themselves" ....

conflict will always arise...

there are as many opinions as there are people...

everybody has a right to their own opinion...

and there is no 100% right answer....

dealing with people that are nothing but conflict from start to end....

you will learn a way to get what your saying across in a manner that does not fuel conflict...

after all... being a teacher in the spiritual sense, is about opening doors of possibilities...

• Like 1

Instead of biting tongues my advice is to develop regulation of the prefrontal cortex.

The following was written for parents to help their children by becoming better examples but could even help you others who are not parents.

The prefrontal cortex is one of the areas of the brain most sensitive to parental interaction; and for kids to be successful (i.e., engaged, motivated, happy, and productive), a well-developed prefrontal cortex goes a long way. Specifically, the prefrontal cortex offers the possibility of regulating your emotions. This ability makes long-term goals more attainable, because when you start <censored> and moanin’ about everything you have to do, you can tell yourself to shut up. It also helps you play well with others and not get <censored> off at people so easily.

*snip*

How does your kid react if you won’t let them have Froot Loops for breakfast, or do something else they want? You can tell them to not whine or be upset, and maybe once in a while they’ll actually listen to you. But if you yourself whine and get upset when you don’t get your way, then good luck. Their brains soak up and imitate human behavior like a Roomba (i.e., quickly and automatically). Think about it, they learn the entire English language just from sitting there and listening to you bumble through it. So if you get <censored> off when someone cuts you off in traffic, guess who’s paying attention? And it’s not just the swearing; it’s your entire emotional reaction. You could stop the verbal assault, but if you’re still getting stressed out and tense, they’ll internalize that too.

*snip*

Now as a psychiatrist pointed out to me, up to this point in my blog posts I’ve been making the prefrontal cortex sound like a small little region of the brain (to be clear, this is my friend who is a psychiatrist, not my boss who is a psychiatrist, or my old boss who is a psychiatrist, or my mom who is a psychiatrist, or my mom’s friends who are psychiatrists). However, in humans the prefrontal cortex (PFC) is essentially the front third of the brain, and it’s segmented into a bunch of sub-regions. There are many sub-regions that contribute to emotional regulation. In general the PFC is organized such that the parts that deal with emotions are lower down (i.e. ventral, which means towards the belly on an up/down axis). On a side-to-side axis, the parts that deal with the mind and the self are in the middle (a.k.a medial). Obviously some of these areas overlap. But the ventromedial and ventrolateral PFC (vmPFC and vlPFC respectively) are the most commonly activated in emotional regulation. To activate these regions simply use the process of self-reflection. This process can also be called mindfulness. Start to notice your emotions and emotional state and how they affect your behavior.

Consider that in your interactions with your kids, as well as everyone else in your life, you are either acting reflectively or reactively. Acting reactively means you let the emotional limbic system take over. When you’re a kid that might mean something like, “You took my toy truck, so now I’m going to hit you”. When you’re an adult it might be more subtle, “You took the last donut at the budget meeting, so now I’m not going to let you borrow my stapler.” The limbic system works on a very stimulus-response level. It’s not a very evolved way of being. Even reptiles have limbic systems. That’s why the T-Rex in Jurassic Park is so darn ornery. The problem with limbic reactivity is that the limbic system doesn’t care about your long-term goals; it just cares about your feelings right now. Thus, your actions are driven by your emotional state, rather than your goals, or your values or consideration of your relationships with others.

Shaping Your Kid's Brain for Success: Reduce your emotional reactivity and boost your kid's brain development.

Edited by The world needs you