Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hassan Rouhani is Iran's next president

Persia

(CNN) -- Iranian centrist candidate Hassan Rouhani has won the Islamic republic's presidential election, Interior Minister Mostafa Mohammad-Najjar announced Saturday.

http://edition.cnn.c...ions/index.html

My opinion: Nothing will change, Rouhani is one of them (as Khamenehi ---> radical Islamist), they hate everyone and just prefer to Islam and its laws. Poor Iran and poor iranian people :( .

Edited by Persia
  • Like 6

Well he claims to have said that he will talk and build better relationships of the West, only talk. But the Iranian presidents do get scrutinized by their own government

I think the younger people of Iran are sick of Islam. Read a story a few months ago where a cleric was beat up by some girls because he objected to how they were dressed.

• Like 5

Hope he is a change even a small one in the right direction.

Of course some of it seems like puppetry. Put in a moderate but one still that can be controlled just as a thrown bone to the masses of youth.

They knew full well had not a moderate ran and won that they would have faced mass protest as in after the '09 election. Votes are fair and they demand change.

Still this is just temporary, the youth want change, they will get it no matter how much the old school hold on. They too wanted change in the late '70s and early '80s and got it. They had their chance and only veered toward religous fundamentalism away from hyper-capitalism but failed to find a happy medium.

Time to pass on the torch you ruhanis and ayatollahs. Support the dreams of your people instead of trying to temper them with vetted candidates of your choosing alone. Allow the cultural conflict between old and young to be solved through fair democratic elections. The realm of religion will remain and could be strengthened with your blessing of allowing true freedom of choice in the matter.

Whenever change does come hope it is in the way of true neutrals such as Tito when he claimed to be non-aligned and not just a pawn of Russia or America.

An independent and free Iran would be good for the world. In one measure this requires they achieve nuclear energy production and then show the world they mean no harm. Without that they will just be acquiescent puppets of either us or Russia. As long as they are not allowed it they remain under Russia's thumb allowing Russia to pretend to support them but a nuclear Iran would be an independent Iran. An Iran that agrees to American plans to keep them without nuclear energy is an Iran under our thumb. So the road is slippery but a multipolar world is a good hope for alter-globalization.

Face it we are in an era of globalization but we can still choose the shape of it by focusing more on that instead of devoting all our attention on the snares of national politics and nationalism. I prefer a middle path between globalization and alter-globalization, not one or the other which seem to just be plans of domination vs a reaction. We need a pragmatic preventive approach while avoiding debt creation schemes and their accompanying austerity measures which are still just neo-colonialism transfers of wealth from borrowers to lenders.

Post-neo-colonialism is the hope of the future. A middle path between globalization and alter-globalization.

Edited by The world needs you

Lets hope things in that area will cool down now. Cautiously hopeful.

• Like 2

Status Quo. I don't think you can expect much reform from a politician who dresses like an Ayatollah.

• Like 2

Status Quo. I don't think you can expect much reform from a politician who dresses like an Ayatollah.

This guy was/is a supporter of Hashemi Rafsanjani. Rafsanjani once openly called for the destruction of Israel with nukes so I'm thinking this guy isn't so moderate. But time will tell.
  • Like 3

If the guy in western dress and no beard was a "Holocaust denier" and wanted to "wipe Israel off the map" I don't see how any bearded figurehead of the government in Islamic garb could represent political change from the status quo the west will approve of, much less resist that kind of willful dishonesty from the western media. Did another candidate who lost the election? If so, how so?

I think it's worth noting that a platform appealing to "tradition, reform" looks at a glance to be at odds with itself.

• Like 1

If the guy in western dress and no beard was a "Holocaust denier" and wanted to "wipe Israel off the map" I don't see how any bearded figurehead of the government in Islamic garb could represent political change from the status quo the west will approve of, much less resist that kind of willful dishonesty from the western media. Did another candidate who lost the election? If so, how so?

I think it's worth noting that a platform appealing to "tradition, reform" looks at a glance to be at odds with itself.

Perhaps we shouldn't judge this book by it's cover, just yet.

The true power in their system is the man at the top. Khamanei is the one who makes the broad strokes... this guy is only marginally in control.

• Like 1

I am encouraged. The man identified as the most "moderate" wins an absolute victory over several others. He may not be as "moderate" as the west would like, but it shows pretty clearly how much of the Iranian population thinks, in spite of the control by the Mullahs.

As much as possible it is good if societies are allowed to have their own evolution, as the revolutionaries die off and their successors are more flexible and of the next generation. This happens even better when terms of office are limited.

The problem in Iran has been fear that it will develop nuclear weapons and then blackmail the West and the moderate Muslim states (especially the Saudis). If they continue their present course, at some time preventive intervention is going to be necessary, probably in the form of air strikes. However, it seems some time should be allowed to pass to see how the new regime evolves.

I am encouraged. The man identified as the most "moderate" wins an absolute victory over several others. He may not be as "moderate" as the west would like, but it shows pretty clearly how much of the Iranian population thinks, in spite of the control by the Mullahs.

As much as possible it is good if societies are allowed to have their own evolution, as the revolutionaries die off and their successors are more flexible and of the next generation. This happens even better when terms of office are limited.

The problem in Iran has been fear that it will develop nuclear weapons and then blackmail the West and the moderate Muslim states (especially the Saudis). If they continue their present course, at some time preventive intervention is going to be necessary, probably in the form of air strikes. However, it seems some time should be allowed to pass to see how the new regime evolves.

No doubt it will, unless Israel sees no other choice. The power rests with Khamanei, just as it did in Ahmadinejad's tenure. The world is acting as though a nuclear Iran is a manageable problem. Kind of like it estimated Hitler's 3rd Reich to be. When the threshold is crossed and Iran is a nuclear power it will be far too late to try and stop their plans. They will push some Israeli government a bit farther than they mean to and the world will finally get their proof of the danger of Iranian nukes.
  • Like 1

My opinion: Nothing will change, Rouhani is one of them (as Khamenehi ---> radical Islamist), they hate everyone and just prefer to Islam and its laws. Poor Iran and poor iranian people :( .

Exactly. The Iranians had the "choice" between a number of candidates selected by the Supreme Islamic Council --- i.e. a choice between radical islamists.

Anybody expecting a change from this "election" must also be expecting a "change" in a turnover in the North Korean Kim dynasty.

At frist he will be all good then he will change

How do you define "all good"?

Perhaps we shouldn't judge this book by it's cover, just yet.

Are the Imams not really in power anymore because of this new figure head? Of course they are. I was never convinced by the media propa why Ahmadinejad was so bad, and I haven't even heard a hypothetical reason why this guy is going to be any better. We're engaging in full scale economic war with Iran and maybe this guy will submit to the will of his enemies? Is that the hope?

This book is nothing but cover, Wearer. That's something that anyone who ever rabble roused about Ahmadinejad couldn't understand.

Are the Imams not really in power anymore because of this new figure head? Of course they are. I was never convinced by the media propa why Ahmadinejad was so bad, and I haven't even heard a hypothetical reason why this guy is going to be any better. We're engaging in full scale economic war with Iran and maybe this guy will submit to the will of his enemies? Is that the hope?

This book is nothing but cover, Wearer. That's something that anyone who ever rabble roused about Ahmadinejad couldn't understand.

Yeah right. Is your conversion to Islam complete yet? And to Shiism, to boot.

• Like 1

Saudi Arabia is a moderate Muslim state? What are you smoking Merton?

How about a warning before posting a woman's severed head. Violence against anyone is wrong, but against women and children it makes me physically ill.

• Like 1

No doubt it will, unless Israel sees no other choice. The power rests with Khamanei, just as it did in Ahmadinejad's tenure. The world is acting as though a nuclear Iran is a manageable problem. Kind of like it estimated Hitler's 3rd Reich to be. When the threshold is crossed and Iran is a nuclear power it will be far too late to try and stop their plans. They will push some Israeli government a bit farther than they mean to and the world will finally get their proof of the danger of Iranian nukes.

The Iranian people had a choice. And they chose apparently a moderate. Instead to throw around with threats we should aplaud them for showing courage to make their life better. Time will tell if the right candidate is elected or not. One I do know, israel should welcome this situation and do the best to peacefully solve a bad situation instead to threten, yet again.

The iranian did their part. The last we want to do is punish them by bombing their children.

But it looks to me that you and bibi just want to do this.

• Like 1

How about a warning before posting a woman's severed head. Violence against anyone is wrong, but against women and children it makes me physically ill.

I'm not sure how that even slipped through. It looked almost like she was smiling at them in death....

The Iranian people had a choice. And they chose apparently a moderate. Instead to throw around with threats we should aplaud them for showing courage to make their life better. Time will tell if the right candidate is elected or not. One I do know, israel should welcome this situation and do the best to peacefully solve a bad situation instead to threten, yet again.

The iranian did their part. The last we want to do is punish them by bombing their children.

But it looks to me that you and bibi just want to do this.

You're wrong about that Odas. I know you consider me a Muslim hater and a war monger but I do NOT want to see the people of Iran OR my fellow citizens dying in a stupid, senseless war. This Rohani was a follower of Rafsanjani and it was HE who stood before an open mike and said Israel could be destroyed with a nuke or two while they could cause "damages only". This is a matter of record: http://www.iran-press-service.com/articles_2001/dec_2001/rafsanjani_nuke_threats_141201.htm

I would accept your concern as unbiased but from your statements in the past I have every reason to believe that if Iran got the bomb and EVEN if they attacked Israel with it you would not be upset. It is one thing to disagree with a nation's policies... but to wish for their end is another. The people of Iran proved that they want what they have wanted forever - to live in peace and be left alone. It is their leaders who are making this impossible. They were given choices and chose the least worse leader available. If the youth of Iran could have their way then I suspect the old men in robes would be in trouble.

• Like 1

Yeah right. Is your conversion to Islam complete yet? And to Shiism, to boot.

Keep me out of this, Mr. ad hominem. I was born and raised Catholic and I'm now agnostic which is also none of your damned business. If you're too disabled to discuss a subject without discussing me, keep your insults to yourself.

Yeah, the guy who wants to cut the umbilical cord to foreigners in Sharia-law societies is somehow the one who wants to convert to Islam. I think taxpayers from Tokyo should pay for nonsense in the Middle East, not me. Then you'll know what it looks like when your wallet is humping the hill for Sharia and I'm snipping about your personal religious beliefs in response to your disgust.

Guys c'mon, don't post graphic images, I've just hidden two.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 1

Sharia Arabia is so "moderate" we can't even show how "moderate" it is. I rest my case.

Back in Iran, the 'Guardian Council' chose the six candidates for this election after rejecting hundreds of other applicants, including Rafsanjani himself. "Living in peace and being left alone" would mean no economic warfare or threats of attack from Israel and the US. It would also mean Iran will continue its nuclear energy program, its right to do so made clear by Rowhani in his public remarks after the election.

I doubt there is a government anywhere that doesn't do things that upset us, and executing people is one of those things a lot of these governments do.

As governments go, though, the Saudis in general aren't that bad. One has to remember the society they are governing, and its norms. The Saudi government for the most part seems to have the best interests of the citizens at heart, and does not seem to have imperial notions or ideas of violent destruction of Israel or other conquest.

And, I think most relevant, they aren't building bombs.

• Like 1

I doubt there is a government anywhere that doesn't do things that upset us, and executing people is one of those things a lot of these governments do.

As governments go, though, the Saudis in general aren't that bad. One has to remember the society they are governing, and its norms. The Saudi government for the most part seems to have the best interests of the citizens at heart, and does not seem to have imperial notions or ideas of violent destruction of Israel or other conquest.

And, I think most relevant, they aren't building bombs.

Most relevant to western rotgut hypocrisy, they aren't building bombs. The US built 10,000 Bombs but the Saudis stone their women for being victims of violent crime so that's okay. Even if I put the hypocrisy aside, what bombs? You've drunk the kool aid, Merton. There isn't a bomb in sight. It's western propaganda in denial of all evidence. I don't believe anyone alive in Vietnam today could be this much of an apologist of US hegemony.