Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

.Rupert Sheldrake - Richard Dawkins comes to

markdohle

Can I like this 10 times?

How funny I just posted about this.

I actually had the pleasure of listening to this story in person. Dr. Sheldrake invited me to have a discussion that night, but my truck broke down and I got stuck somewhere. It's a long story.. Rrrrrrrrrr

• Like 2

[media=]

[/media]

That's a much longer speech, but man does he have an exceptional method of speech.

PS: The Parrot "Nkisi" he talks about is an African Grey parrot. It's named in a Bantu dialect that is actually my own tribal dialect. The word Nkisi means "Ancient Spirit"(Kind of like Native Americans have spirit totems who they believe to actually be inhabited by ancient spirits), and the African Grey Parrot has great importance in the Bantu Animism.. Really interesting to see some of my own tribal beliefs to be supported by a scientist ;)

PS: In my tribal culture, when you make an Nkisi.. You are putting an ancient spirit into a receptacle.. The bird being named Nkisi is implies that he is either the receptacle of an ancient spirit, or believed to be an ancient spirit(Of course the owner could have just felt it fitting and done it to be cheeky). Still a very interesting choice of names!

You can read more on the subject here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nkisi

Edited by xFelix
  • Like 1

Can I like this 10 times?

How funny I just posted about this.

I actually had the pleasure of listening to this story in person. Dr. Sheldrake invited me to have a discussion that night, but my truck broke down and I got stuck somewhere. It's a long story.. Rrrrrrrrrr

10 Times like....yes!!!!! He is a good speaker and a very good writer my friend.

peace

Mark

[media=]

[/media]

That's a much longer speech, but man does he have an exceptional method of speech.

PS: The Parrot "Nkisi" he talks about is an African Grey parrot. It's named in a Bantu dialect that is actually my own tribal dialect. The word Nkisi means "Ancient Spirit"(Kind of like Native Americans have spirit totems who they believe to actually be inhabited by ancient spirits), and the African Grey Parrot has great importance in the Bantu Animism.. Really interesting to see some of my own tribal beliefs to be supported by a scientist ;)

PS: In my tribal culture, when you make an Nkisi.. You are putting an ancient spirit into a receptacle.. The bird being named Nkisi is implies that he is either the receptacle of an ancient spirit, or believed to be an ancient spirit(Of course the owner could have just felt it fitting and done it to be cheeky). Still a very interesting choice of names!

You can read more on the subject here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nkisi

Thanks for the input of knowledge, I will look up the link.

peace

mark