Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sexism Limited Female Space Flights – Russian Cosmonaut

MOSCOW, June 14 (RIA Novosti) – Russian women rarely go into space because Russian men fear that their heroism would be diminished if shared with members of the opposite sex, scientist and former cosmonaut Yelena Dobrokvashina said Friday, while she also denied rumors that female cosmonauts have tried to conceive when orbiting the Earth.

Since the Soviet Union sent the first woman into space half a century ago, only two Russian women have followed in her footsteps – compared with more than 50 from the United States.

arrow3.gifRead more...

three female astronauts IS a bit poor, with 20yrs between the 1st & 2nd, and nearly 20yrs since the last. thank god the USA didn't have the same hang-ups!

still, it WAS rather suprising to learn there'd only been two more women since valentina tereshkova waspie, so thanks for that little nugget!

(waits for ratte turning up after spotting the magic word.....)

;-)

China have already launched 2 women and they have only had 5 crewed missions.

The UK was the first nation to have a woman as their first astronaut (Helen Sharman). Only South Korea has copied that (although South Korea originally chose a man, Ko San, to be the first. The Russians asked that he be replaced as he broke regulations, and so his back up, Yi So-yeon, made the flight instead.

• Like 1

Ko San broke regulations??

was he too tall or something? tagged & on a curfew?!

that must've been a kick in the nuts after undergoing all the training!

good record for china though eh, two women, five missions, not bad at all!

Ko San broke regulations??

I'm not sure which regulations he broke, but the Russians are pretty strict when it comes to cosmonauts. Grigori Nelyubov, Ivan Anikeyev and Valentin Filatyev were dropped from the original Cosmonaut corps of 20 for being drunk and disorderly.

Nelyubov, who along with Gagarin and Titov, was considered one of the top three of the class would almost certainly have made a Vostok flight. He stepped in front of a train 3 years after his dismissal.

• Like 1

I can understand that waspie, no-one wants to see drunken astronauts!

going into the most deadly environment known, you'd REALLY want your faculties about you, and given a choice of going up in space or that next bottle of vodka, i'd be the cave-dwelling hermit living on soya protein & rainwater if that's what it took to get there!

sad news about nelyubov though, but having missed the greatest chance of anyone's life I can understand his final decision.....

I'm not sure which regulations he broke, but the Russians are pretty strict when it comes to cosmonauts. Grigori Nelyubov, Ivan Anikeyev and Valentin Filatyev were dropped from the original Cosmonaut corps of 20 for being drunk and disorderly.

Nelyubov, who along with Gagarin and Titov, was considered one of the top three of the class would almost certainly have made a Vostok flight. He stepped in front of a train 3 years after his dismissal.

After seeing the fiasco and fistfights in the politburo and parlament the government did not set a very good example for those drunk and disorderly cosmonauts.

(waits for ratte turning up after spotting the magic word.....)

;-)

XD

I actually wasn't going to comment on this one, but, if you insist; here goes.

This is unfortunate. If they want to go, let them(given they have the proper training of course). However, the reason I wasn't going to comment is that the article just doesn't sit right with me. It speaks in hushed tones of a conspiracy theory of sorts in addition to the sexism encountered. I also don't see how their heroism would be diminished. Most popular hack and slash videogames have at least one strong female character. Does her being there take away from the men, just because she can stand up to them? No. Now, I realize this is no videogame. But it's a profession. Are female field medics more heroic than male ones? No. Geez, Russia, get with the times. America is about to send up a team of eight; four men, four women.