Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Steak made from human poop tastes good

seeder

"Steak made from human poop" said the article, and that it has passed the taste test too!! Oh yeah? Are you shetting me? :w00t:

This is an old story Ive never seen before so thought to share it. I also have another part to post coming in a minute or 2

quote: "Take a moment to let that gag reflex subside. Now consider this: it's already been taste-tested, approved, and could eventually become a practical solution to sewage treatment. Someday "bowel burgers" may even provide an easy source of protein for the hungry.

main_steak.jpg

The steaks were first envisioned by Japanese researcher Mitsuyuki Ikeda after he was approached by Tokyo Sewage to come up with a solution for the city's overabundance of sewage mud. Although "eating it" probably wouldn't have occurred to most people, Ikeda recognized that the mud was chock full with protein-rich bacteria.

After isolating those proteins in the lab, Ikeda's team then combined them with a reaction enhancer and put them in an exploder. What eventually came out was no filet mignon, but it was edible.

"Theoretically, there's nothing wrong with this," said Douglas Powell, a professor of food safety at Kansas State University. "It could be quite safe to eat, but I'm sure there's a yuck factor there."

Read more here for the nutritional goodness in it, they go on to mention they added a nutty flavoring to it...ooh nom nom nom!

http://www.mnn.com/g...sses-taste-test

Edited by seeder

The vid of the 'science' behind it:

[media=]

[/media]

and....

:clap::w00t: hehe Ive been giggling like a loony thinking the MSM actually ran these stories at the time! But it goes to show how much they are keen to run new stories without even fact checking doesn't it?

Meat Made From Human Feces: Hoax or Japan's Best New Invention?

That got your attention, huh? Fortuitously, it’s unlikely these appealing options will end up on our menus anytime soon. Unlikely, but not entirely out of the question. Let me explain.

Recently, a stomach-churning story about meat synthesized from sewage was picked up by several major news sites, and admittedly, some less credible ones. In its bona fide Science section, FoxNews.com posted a piece that led with this astonishing headline: “Japanese Scientists Create Meat From Poop.” I did a double take, rubbed my eyes to make sure my contact lenses weren’t having a giggle at my expense, and then looked at the date. No, it wasn’t April 1. I probed further.

The Mail Online, the website of the British newspaper, the Daily Mail, delighted in this sensational headline: “Japanese scientist makes a “delicious” burger out of…human EXCREMENT”. The article reveled in extrapolating on the disgusting details of this new meat source, but never once stopped to question their veracity. Mitsuyuki Ikeda, a researcher from the Okayama Laboratory, came up with the process of producing an artificial steak after Tokyo Sewage asked if he could devise a way of using up the city’s excessive “sewage mud”. His methods? He extracts proteins from the waste, turns it red using food coloring and injects a boost of flavor with soy. His equipment? An exploder. Oh, and he adds “reaction enhancer.” The synthesized fecal meat’s vitals stats are: 63% protein, 25% carbs, 3% lipids and 9% minerals. Totally plausible, eh?

Astonishingly, Digital Trends, the International Business Times, The Guardian newspaper in the UK, and LA Weekly also all took the story at face value and reported it faithfully. No one questioned the science – is it even possible to convert raw sewage that contains all kinds of, well, garbage into a safe, edible protein? No one reached out to interview Mitsuyuki Ikeda, or even fact checked whether the Okayama Laboratory exists. Spend 5 minutes with Google and you’ll discover that Okayama Laboratory produces only medical devices. There’s an Okayama University with a sizeable science department, but no Mitsuyuki Ikeda is found on staff, or even affiliated with the university. :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

The whole debunk is here:

http://www.forbes.co...-new-invention/

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

Honestly seeder, my face hurts from screwing it up in distaste and revolution.

Good one. :tu:

• Like 1

OMG do they even know what Poop is? Where it comes from? It's wast for a reason. :cry:

• Like 1

OMG do they even know what Poop is? Where it comes from? It's wast for a reason. :cry:

Yeh but come on!! Ketchup and mayonnaise with a sliced pickle make everything taste yummier dont they? Or BBQ sauce come to think of it :innocent:

• Like 1

LOL Ketchup and mayonnaise with a sliced pickle Or BBQ sauce wouldn't be enough for me to eat it. And me who's tired chocolate covered grasshoppers and S Cargo/snails and liked it. So I :nw: to you on that one if you can take it.

• Like 1

I think I would grow an appetite for dog/cat before I resorted to that kind of meat. There is a vast overabundance of those in the area.

• Like 1

Wellll mouthwash used to be made out of urine sooo.......

• Like 1

Good thing its a hoax vid then isnt it? :clap:

• Like 1

Assuming it's even real, If I'm reading right, they're not actually using the waste, they're culturing bacteria found in the waste, something rather like solidified vegemite. At the very most, they're potentially thinking of using the waste as feedstock to grow the bacteria the same way they use mash to feed yeast to foster fermentation in the brewing process, where the organisms would be skimmed off and used like the yeast is.

• Like 1

Recycling gone extreme. Next stop, Soylent Green!

Assuming it's even real, If I'm reading right, they're not actually using the waste, they're culturing bacteria found in the waste, something rather like solidified vegemite. At the very most, they're potentially thinking of using the waste as feedstock to grow the bacteria the same way they use mash to feed yeast to foster fermentation in the brewing process, where the organisms would be skimmed off and used like the yeast is.

I believe it was a hoax O, my post/link under the vid debunked it to an extent. Heres another debunk site

http://www.salon.com/2011/06/23/japan_feces_meat_viral/

582089_395457280520350_190179010_n.jpg

that's why clowns never retire ... they're recycled ... nomm nomm noms :lol:

~

• Like 1