Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Suicide is NEVER the Answer !

soulpowertothenthdegree

My opinion all this soul stuff is nonsense. I have one life to live and quality is much more important to me than quantity. If I ever developed terminal cancer, I'd consider committing suicide before I got to a point where I was bedridden and in pain. If I found out I had early stage alzheimer's, I'd end it before my mind deteorated. I don't want to end up like my grandmother someday. I don't want to lose all of my good memories and live in a near constant state of confusion and fear. It's my life and my choice to decide when it ends.

I also don't judge anyone or consider a mentally ill person who commits suicide a coward. I have an anxiety disorder and went through a period of severe depression that lasted a couple of years. I know how hard it is. I also have a sibling who has suffered from schizophrenia for nearly a decade. She has been treated, but unfortunately doesn't respond well to most medications. Her quality of life is low. If I were in her shoes, I'd probably end it.

• Like 3

I have seen what it does to those left behind. I couldn't do that to my loved ones and friends. The great thing about the Universe is everything changes. What is going on now isn't going to be going down the road. I what to see what round the bend on the road. The only thing I have seen people locked in their own bodies unable to move, talk or see, maybe I don't know, but death might be better than that.

• Like 4

a friend of mine's mum who suffered from depression was placed in a hospital against her wishes (not sectioned, she had ME and was put in a normal hospital), where she killed herself with a carrier bag & the chord from her nightgown.

she was being given L tryptophan for depression, which was known to induce suicidal tendancies.

she was 47 at the time.

Oh my, that is sad.

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2

Do you think that Kamikaze were mentally ill?

More like brain-washed; it came out of their cultural heritage, like seppuku, which was considered an honorable way to die. Seppuku was limited to the samurai class, which was, in my opinion, a death cult, so maybe kamikaze was seen as a way for non-samurai to achieve the same honorable death, since both were practiced within a military culture.

• Like 1

Oh my, that is sad.

it was BM.

she was fine, a normal person, until her youngest was born, then everything changed for her. she became scared of everything & everyone, and became a total recluse.

the last time I saw her was when my twins were born, shortly before she was taken into hospital. we took them to her house to show her, but she only saw them through the window, as she was too afraid to leave the house, and too scared to let us in, even though i'd known her for 20yrs.

she killed herself the first night in hospital because she was terrified of being there, with people she didn't know, and couldn't handle the situation.

her middle son also has an anxiety disorder, not as bad as hers, but enough to bring him out in hives when he's nervous, and sometimes won't leave his house for weeks at a time, so maybe there's a genetic predisposition?

her other two sons are fine though.

• Like 2

dying was never a problem for all living things ... from the tiniest insects to human beings ... it is just human culture that got hung up by putting a 'value' on living ...

death was always and will always be a constant companion to life ... modern society tried to kick death out of reality and suffered the nightmares ever since ...

539703_399803103419101_1092564645_n.jpg

it all depends on the tune you live your life to ... the view you care to look at and the breath you continue to take every moment of the day

you are the life you make ... you are the lives you take .... you are the life you give ....

if you let death make your decisions for you ... death only can make one ...

if there is death then there is god ... and god will always make more

with OR without you ....

lala la la la la lalala lay lala la la la la lalala lay lalala la la lala lay lalala lay

~

• Like 3

Is giving your life for other also qualify as suicide?

If your trying to help someone and you know you will probably die I wouldn't think that would be suicide in the true sense of the word. If a bear attacked my son I would attack the bear even knowing I would most likely die but I wouldn't see it as committing suicide.
  • Like 3

Is giving your life for other also qualify as suicide?

''greater love for no man hath this, that a man lay down his life for his friends''

John 15:13.

• Like 1

it was BM.

she was fine, a normal person, until her youngest was born, then everything changed for her. she became scared of everything & everyone, and became a total recluse.

the last time I saw her was when my twins were born, shortly before she was taken into hospital. we took them to her house to show her, but she only saw them through the window, as she was too afraid to leave the house, and too scared to let us in, even though i'd known her for 20yrs.

she killed herself the first night in hospital because she was terrified of being there, with people she didn't know, and couldn't handle the situation.

her middle son also has an anxiety disorder, not as bad as hers, but enough to bring him out in hives when he's nervous, and sometimes won't leave his house for weeks at a time, so maybe there's a genetic predisposition?

her other two sons are fine though.

It could be genetic...I don't know but it sure sounds like it... Awww reading that just makes you want to cry... I have suffered from depression, it was scary, ..It took me a year to pull myself out of it... I never want to go down that road ever again...I fought it and won...I don't want to fight that sort of thing any more... I'll be honest with you, I was ignorant about it, I never could understand why people treated depression so seriously.. Until years later I found myself in the same boat...It really does open your eyes ... I wouldn't wish it on anyone..

.Gosh, I remember back feeling that all hope was lost ( it was after the death of my baby girl ) I felt like it was my fault, then i felt scared everything all at once... I never slept or ate much, I couldn't face answering the phone, this did scare me.... Nightmare, and it shakes you.... Years later I am free from it, I love who I am, my kids keep me sane lol..and I enjoy life.. But only because I fought hard.. .My depression was not as bad as some people, where I wanted to take my own life, but it could have gotten that far, it scares you to think about it....My view on these things have changed dramatically... I am no longer the ignorant one who would have said - People are selfish that commit suicide etc etc...I think what happened to me opened my eyes for good...

• Like 2

~snip

...I think what happened to me opened my eyes for good...

76887_10150306328835475_2990925_n.jpg

seeing wonders makes wonders of small miracles ....

~

• Like 2

I have seen what it does to those left behind. I couldn't do that to my loved ones and friends. The great thing about the Universe is everything changes. What is going on now isn't going to be going down the road. I what to see what round the bend on the road. The only thing I have seen people locked in their own bodies unable to move, talk or see, maybe I don't know, but death might be better than that.

But thats just it some people may be in so much pain and turmoil that down the road isnt even a thought to them, I mean Iv been in some SERIOUS pain and when your in that type of pain your not really thinking about the future, your thinking is how can I get through this pain or how can I end this pain

you've got me welling up now BM!

I've never really been down, much less depressed, so I can't imagine what it feels like. i'm just glad you came out of the other side alive. losing a child must be horrendous, and i'd probably be in the same boat if I lost one of mine, but, touch wood.....

i've had three friends who've hung themselves, one a very close friend, and no-one knew any of them were depressed enough to commit suicide. they weren't 'cry for help slash your wrist' type affairs either, they'd all gone out of their way to make sure they weren't stopped (one of them wasn't found for 11 days), so they were serious about the intent.

depression can kill, it isn't just 'feeling sorry for yourself' like most people think, as you're only too well aware, but thank the gods you've got people around you who love you, as that can be the greatest help of all!

• Like 1

*would like to like the above comments, but i've run out of likes. again.*

• Like 1

What a bunch of kind, compassionate people. You give me hope, thank you all.

• Like 3

I would not qualify as "suicide" someone who dies in the line of duty, as a soldier or fireman, nor someone who dies trying to save others. These are heroes.

Nor should people left behind by a suicide grieve otherwise than those left behind by any death. The death is caused by a brain malfunction or disease. This needs to be realized by anyone experiencing guilt (which is almost unavoidable -- you think, "If only I had said something," or similar thoughts) and it needs to be realized by anyone with suicidal impulses. This is especially true during crises, such as being arrested or there being a major family dispute or severe financial pressure.

The problem with the presence of guns is that it makes it easy to act on the impulse before the brain chemicals have a chance to adjust. It is of course not the only thing that can contribute to an impulse suicide, but it is the most important one.

I can't remember who said it, but they said suicide is like being in a burning building. It's the fear of the flames that makes you jump, not the concrete down below.

As someone who has tried to kill themselves a few times, I can agree it's exactly like this.

>Love yourself

Tell that to major depression, I can tell you don't have mental issues as it's really not that easy. It can't go away at a snap of fingers.

• Like 3

But thats just it some people may be in so much pain and turmoil that down the road isnt even a thought to them, I mean Iv been in some SERIOUS pain and when your in that type of pain your not really thinking about the future, your thinking is how can I get through this pain or how can I end this pain

Pain? I am expert. Which kind physical or mental. I was amazed how bad physical pain can get before you pass out. I have Multiple Sclerosis sometimes if feels like someone has a hold of my foot and is crushing it. Yet to find a pain medication that works, Believe it or not for the most part I ingnore it. Spent 3 months in a wheelchair and was told I would never walk again. Fooled them, those doctors and PT's didn't actually know anything about MS or me. I am wonky but I walk with a walker or cane. When my wife died the thought of killing myself actually entered my mind but I truly love my family and friends, I couldn't have them going through the pain I was going through.

My life over all is good. I have made a difference in lives of a lot of people who were in really bad places and times, because I understand what they are dealing with, been there, done that. I'm not bragging it is what I had to do to pull myself out of a deep dark hole. When you help others you end up helping yourself.

• Like 1

you've got me welling up now BM!

I've never really been down, much less depressed, so I can't imagine what it feels like. i'm just glad you came out of the other side alive. losing a child must be horrendous, and i'd probably be in the same boat if I lost one of mine, but, touch wood.....

i've had three friends who've hung themselves, one a very close friend, and no-one knew any of them were depressed enough to commit suicide. they weren't 'cry for help slash your wrist' type affairs either, they'd all gone out of their way to make sure they weren't stopped (one of them wasn't found for 11 days), so they were serious about the intent.

depression can kill, it isn't just 'feeling sorry for yourself' like most people think, as you're only too well aware, but thank the gods you've got people around you who love you, as that can be the greatest help of all!

It is disturbing and sticks with me, but see, as much as it is painful, I knew I had to force myself to carry on..It's not easy, but I don't know if I could be as strong if it ever happens again, for it took a lot out of me....

I now have two lovely kids.....My little one is now 13 months old, and he is one heck of a funny character, he and Becky keep me sane ..Having a boy was a new experience..He is more hyper and strong, it can be work out trying to keep up with him.. I have lost a bit of weight looking after him lol

I think wee boys are generally more challenging ( if that is the appropriate word ) He is forever pulling things down, plundering into anything he finds ( usually the coal bucket ) Climbing up the stairs, and can now stand up and pull the door handle down to push his way in...That's when we hear Becky yell "MOMMY HE IS IN MY ROOM ...AGAIN !!".... We are forever running after him to make sure he is alight.. But, we do have some funny moments with him....He's a handful but a loveable wee character....Our two cats run away when they see him... He tries to copy the cats, once tried to help the cats eat their food..I had to pull a bit of cat food out of his mouth, the cat didn't look impressed lol.......I am forever cleaning him up and pulling him out of things that can cause a mess . :D

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

~snip

Yet to find a pain medication that works, Believe it or not for the most part I ingnore it.

~snip

Ever considered or tried acupuncture ?

~

~snip

Our two cats run away when they see him . :D

and cats hates running .... :lol:

532227_497484713645343_709244020_n.jpg

~edit : double post bypass

`

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 2

We can learn to manage or ignore pain, even deep emotional pain, but this is too much to expect of most people, and even for those who can, it is too much to expect them to do it all the time.

• Like 2

being a manic depressive with intense emotional and social anxieties, I can fully understand the need to end it all - when I was 35, I made a valiant attempt at suicide and the only reason I'm alive today is because of an equipment malfunction - instead of going for round 2, I drove myself to a hospital and they committed me for 2 months - it was hardcore day-in, day-out therapy and for the 1st time, I found myself taking anti-depressants - now I'm 55 with 20 years of anti-depressants in my blood and therapy in my brain - and guess what, I'm still a manic depressive with intense emotional and social anxieties - sometimes there's no such thing as recovery no matter how hard you try, its a permanent state of being

can I survive my personal nightmare? - no, I'll never survive - my life has already been "ruined", those things the normal well adjusted person consider the simple joys of life are my greatest obstacles and my greatest fears - am I gonna put a gun to my head, no - but I dont see my future being any different than my present or past - its now a endurance test, passing away in my sleep would be such a wonderful relief

sorry to sound like a downer but many of the comments in this thread are from people who dont know what they are talking about, especially the OP

BEST - Ron

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Judgmentalism is the last thing that a person suffering from Mental Illness needs. In fact, it is harmful to that person.

Helping the Mentally Ill should be left to those who understand them. And judgmentalism is not understanding. It is only criticism.

"If you don't understand my problem, I don't need your advice." is the logical answer to anyone claiming to understand Mental Illness while continuing to judge the sufferer.

Definitions of judgmentalism and understanding:

judgmentalism

A value judgment is a judgment of the rightness or wrongness of something, or of the usefulness of something, based on a personal view....

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgmentalism

Understanding (also called intellection) is a psychological process related to an abstract or physical object, such as a person, situation, or message whereby one is able to think about it and use concepts to deal adequately with that object. Understanding is a relation between the knower and an object of understanding. Understanding implies abilities and dispositions with respect to an object of knowledge sufficient to support intelligent behavior.

So, yes, people who suffer from Mental Illness must be extremely careful about whom they turn to advice. Listening to judgmentalism could set them back further and hasten their road to suicide, instead of helping them become well again.

I've experienced this problem quite a lot. I am now much more careful about who I listen to. There are a lot of toxic opinions out there. Be careful.

Edited by SallySang
  • Like 1

People always ask the wrong questions when someone commits suicide. They always ask, "Why?". If you really want to know why someone commits suicide, you have to get inside their head and the question is: "Why not?" Suicides need reasons for living, not reasons for dying. They can come up with enough reasons for dying on their own without anyone's help.

Soulpower, basically you're just telling desperate and suicidal people that they're losers for feeling that way. You're condemning, not helping. Or is that something you want to believe so that you can pat yourself on the back for not being like those terrible people? Anytime someone wants to feel superior by bringing someone else down instead of raising himself up makes me suspicious. And I'll tell you one more thing. if I am at the point of my life where I have more bad days than good and unbearable pain is what I live with constantly, I plan to end it all with as much dignity as I can. And I'm not going to give a cow patty for your opinion on evolution at that point.