Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Possible time warp...help?

stars11

I asked this in yahoo! answers and it's pretty long (please be patient), but obviously no one could help. Thank god for this site though.

Anyway, here's my story and question:

Okay first off, I don't want anyone thinking that I, or any of my family members are weird. I will however clarify that I sleep in the master bedroom and my mom sleeps in my room because she has bad back problems and recently underwent surgery, and my bed is a lot softer and more comfortable for her. Okay, so here's the story about the odd thing that has happened. I usually listen to music on my smartphone late at night and before I go to sleep. It helps and relaxes me. Well, one night I got up to look in the hallway to see if my mother was still awake. I checked and sure enough, the light under her door was still on and I could hear the t.v. playing in the background. I'm thinking, okay well that answers my question right there. I go back to sit down and listen to music again, only to get up and check a few minutes later. I do this because sometimes she likes to talk to me before she goes to sleep, and then she usually reads her book for about a half hour, turns off the light and goes to sleep. Well, as I get up again, I go to the hallway and see that none of the lights were on. I thought that was a little weird. I'm still thinking this is about 11:15 as I had checked at 11:09 and for some reason I really wanted to remember those times. Still thinking this was too bizarre, I open the bedroom door and asked her if she was ok. She then asks what am I doing. I told her that I thought it was a little bit weird that she wasn't reading or that her light had been on. She then goes on to tell me that she had been asleep for over an hour. I said, "That can't be because I just checked the hallway and saw that you were in the other room about a few minutes ago. I could hear the tv on and everything." I left, looked at the clock in the living room and saw that it was past 12:30. I'm thinking, that can't be right. So strange! This happened for real, too. I didn't doze off while listening to music, or have some sort of psychotic episode, nor did I go off into some sort of trance. My mind is totally normal. Something very strange happened that night. Has anyone ever had something as unusual as this happen before? What could it be? What could've caused it?

• Like 1

very interesting, not sure why it would be significant but why did you really want to remember those times before the event? and are there any other odd details that you may have left out?

• Like 1

in the first instance you imply your mother was in her bedroom as you say; 'the light under her door was still on and I could hear the t.v. playing in the background' and then later you imply that she was in another room watching tv and not her bedroom as you say; 'That can't be because I just checked the hallway and saw that you were in the other room about a few minutes ago. I could hear the tv on and everything'. Can you clarify please?

Thread cleaned

Gentle reminder here, please be civil and courteous to other members at all times. Silly one-liners designed to bait will be removed

• Like 2

Before jumping face first into the paranormal.... maybe you should try looking for answers in reality!!

Missing time is often reported as a symptom of multiple personality disorder.

The subject is mistaken about the time, such as a departure time, so that an event seemed to take longer than it actually did.

The memory of the event, real or imagined, is traumatic so that the mind repressesit. The concept and reality of repressed memories is debated among psychoanalysts and scientists, however, and many do not support the concept at all.

The event itself did not happen and the subject instead imagined as part of a hallucinationcaused by drugs or a seizure, or implanted during hypnosis.

Highway hypnosis, or losing track of time while driving and having one's mind distracted.

The person slips into a trance similar to Highway Hypnosis under duress, stress, or similar circumstances in which conscious memories are no longer created; during this time the person can perform normally but have no memory of the actions they performed.

They could experience a case of Hypnagogia with out fully realizing it, similar to how one might doze off in the middle of something and have no recollection of the time between just before falling asleep and awaking.

Time warp my butt.

• Like 1

Well first off, DBunker, I think a multiple personality disorder, or some mental disorder of any kind would have already been diagnosed. I've had issues with anxiety and mild depression my entire life and analyzed over and over since I was 7 years old. Something about a personality disorder would have shown up already.

To PJ Bandit: What I meant is that I was checking all of the rooms in the hallway. There are four doors altogether; two bedrooms on one side, the bathroom in the middle, and the master bedroom on the other side. She was in my bedroom (the left) one because of the reasons I explained above (surgery, back problems, softer bed, etc). She gets ready to go to sleep i.e. brushing her teeth, removing makeup, etc., in her original room (the master bedroom). That's what I meant.

To everyone--

I always want to know why things happen and this one really stuck out to me because it was so unusual. I've just always been like that I guess (wondering, not unusual lol). I also posted on this site because I feel like I almost have to be careful who I'd tell this to because some people would think I belonged in the nuthouse, or possessed (I'm from Oklahoma, and YES, some people would actual say possessed). But of course, I strongly beg to differ.

Edited by stars11
  • Like 1

It was not a "time warp", we all lose track of time. I've had times where I swear only 10-15 minutes have passed, but in reality, it's been a half an hour. And vice versa, feel like an hour has passed and it's only been 20 minutes. The latter usually happens at work...

Welcome to UM :st

So the house was dark, your mom had been asleep for over an hour.. And you woke her up to ask her if she was ok? Why didn't you just let her sleep?

IMO, some time slippage is pretty normal, losing track of time. An incident of it probably isn't anything to wonder about. If this was happening regularly it might be cause for concern.

Edited by rashore
  • Like 1

Rashore--

I really asked her if she was okay because she's usually reading at the time (which I thought was the correct time) and thought it was slightly weird that she hadn't been. Another possibility is that, since she was very alert that day, maybe she skipped reading and went straight to sleep. But the fact that an hour went by was still on my mind.

After I posted this, I've recently read up on similar incidents with people and time. Hmm...I guess it's just becoming the norm.

The person slips into a trance similar to Highway Hypnosis under duress, stress, or similar circumstances in which conscious memories are no longer created; during this time the person can perform normally but have no memory of the actions they performed.

Highway hypnosis. Didn't know there was a name for the phenomenon.

I experience that sometimes while out walking. I have a regular route I take a walk every evening. I stop off at the same shop on the way. I regularly arrive at the shop thinking "how the hell did I get here?" having no memory of the journey from leaving home.

Edited by JesseCuster

Highway hypnosis. Didn't know there was a name for the phenomenon.

Yep.... Not as exiting as alien abduction or time warp, I know.

Maybe that is why lots of people like the paranormal better than the mundane explanations?

I'm open to mundane explanations and it could be any one of those that you guys have mentioned. Just odd because it seemed so unusual.

Just odd because it seemed so unusual.

Thats exactly why some events are called paranormal, because people arent educated enough. I truly believe that every and all paranormal phenomenon could be explained as something mundane if we only had all the information.

As always when it comes to this type of stuff, sufficent information is always the problem. Fantastic stories and blurry pictures is perfect for the mind to run wild.

Hi, I dont think you understand me. You said she was in her (your) room watching tv first, then later you implied she was watching tv in the 'other room' so she wasnt in her (your) bedroom but in another room. I am pointing out the inconsistancy in the story and i wanted to know was she in her (your) bedroom or the 'other room' wen you first checked on her.

Hi, I dont think you understand me. You said she was in her (your) room watching tv first, then later you implied she was watching tv in the 'other room' so she wasnt in her (your) bedroom but in another room. I am pointing out the inconsistancy in the story and i wanted to know was she in her (your) bedroom or the 'other room' wen you first checked on her.

My bedroom doesn't have a tv but her room (the master bedroom) does. She was getting ready and watching tv in her room first and then went into the other room (my bedroom). My bedroom is the room where I checked on her.

Edited by stars11

My bedroom doesn't have a tv but her room (the master bedroom) does. She was getting ready and watching tv in her room first and then went into the other room (my bedroom). My bedroom is the room where I checked on her.

Is there room in your room, or her room for a TV, or in another room maybe the master bedroom, or your bedroom?

That would freak me out to. Maybe she fell asleep quickly and when you woke her up she just thought she been asleep for that long. With the time thing, maybe you just misinterpreted what you seen the first time. It happens to everyone.

Ok, so....

The master bedroom has a TV, bedroom 2 does not. Mom was watching TV in the master bedroom when you first checked on her, and she was in bedroom 2 the second time you checked on her. Some time between your first checking and second checking, she turned off the TV in the master bedroom, and went to lay down in bedroom 2.

Where were you during this? I'm going to guess you weren't in the master bedroom or bedroom 2 at all, but was somewhere else in the house?

• Like 1

Yea did you not indicate at the start you were in the master bedroom?

'I will however clarify that I sleep in the master bedroom and my mom sleeps in my room because she has bad back problems and recently underwent surgery, and my bed is a lot softer and more comfortable for her. Okay, so here's the story about the odd thing that has happened. I usually listen to music on my smartphone late at night and before I go to sleep. It helps and relaxes me. Well, one night I got up to look in the hallway to see if my mother was still awake. I checked and sure enough, the light under her door was still on and I could hear the t.v. playing in the background.'

Hi,

You lost some amount of time, as time "jumped"?

I think this has happened to me and friends before. Not sure why.

Once I was in bed after being awake for a while, and then this flash of light appeared, but instead of going, it stayed there. I hid under the bed and noticed it still there. When I looked up again, I understood that this light was daylight! I mean how did it appear as a sudden flash bang? Daylight gradually appears although this one incident in the morning had it come on as if switched on by a button.

Ok, so....

The master bedroom has a TV, bedroom 2 does not. Mom was watching TV in the master bedroom when you first checked on her, and she was in bedroom 2 the second time you checked on her. Some time between your first checking and second checking, she turned off the TV in the master bedroom, and went to lay down in bedroom 2.

Where were you during this? I'm going to guess you weren't in the master bedroom or bedroom 2 at all, but was somewhere else in the house?

^THIS but to finish the rest of this I was in the living room listening to music on my smartphone and then I got up and that's when I checked the hall way and went into my bedroom (or bedroom 2...my ORIGINAL room...the one with NO tv). Done! Edited by stars11

I had to move back in with my father after he had two heart attack in two days, so i know what it's like to be concerned if the routine changes, and i have experienced these slips of time, but i just put it down to having unintentional naps. I have my earphones in basically every night, either for music or watching movies on my laptop and it's easy to drift off without even knowing it.

• Like 1

^Also this (because it's very similar). And I do the same thing as I'm addicted to my phone and listening to music on it. But I know for a fact that I didn't take a nap.

• 1 year later...

I was searching Google to see if anyone experienced a real time warp because this happened to me this morning. I to listen to my cell phone radio in bed and not that I think there is a connection but here is what happened today. I usually get up at 5:30 but over slept and my girl said you better get up. I asked her what time is it she said and I also confirmed shortly after looking at my cell it was 6:05 am. I have to be at work at 7am. With at least a 30 min drive. Seeing that I have my morning routine down to the minute I would not have enough time to take a shower and get my stuff together so I figured I would pass on the shower get my stuff together and head out to work. Now where I live takes me at the least on a good day 30 minutes from my door to my works door. I was stressed out because I could not find my car keys. So my girlfriend got up and helped me find my keys. Now by the time I got my keys and was in my car it was 6:37. At this point I know I am going to be late but I still hall ass to work. I pull into the parking lot and I am the first car in the lot. I thought that was very strange because of it being a Monday and no one was there yet. I did not look at the clock I just wanted get my ass in the building to swipe my key card at the front door because that clocks us in and unlocks the door. I get in turn the lights on and plug my laptop in and see it is 6:36am on my laptop. At this point I am very confused. So I text my girlfriend and I said. Babe I feel off today and I asked her I thought I left around 6:30. She told me I Did. The text I sent her was Time stamped at 6:36am and I was already at work. So when I got home from work tonight I wanted to retrace my steps with her to make sure that what I thought happened really did happen. She confirmed the time I left and the time stamp of the text I sent her. I also was 1/2 hour early to work. I don't believe in any paranormal stuff or do drugs anything like that. Just don't understand how I made it to work so fast or what happened. Very very weird.