Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia to Unveil New Piloted Spacecraft

Waspie_Dwarf

Russia to Unveil New Piloted Spacecraft at MAKS Airshow

NOVO-OGARYOVO, June 14 (RIA Novosti) – A mock-up of Russia’s new piloted spacecraft will be showcased in August at the MAKS airshow near Moscow, Russia’s space chief said Friday.

The new craft, being developed by the Russian spaceship manufacturer RKK Energia, is expected to make its maiden flight in 2018.

arrow3.gifRead more...

No pictures?

No pictures?

If there were pictures then they wouldn't need to unveil it in August.

There have been a few artists impressions on the net, but how close to reality they are is anyone's guess. Even the name they have chosen for it isn't known, as far as I'm aware.

Well, this should please NASA.

Can't wait to see the pictures of this new Russian spacecraft. Hope it more imaginative design than NASA Orion Apollo retread.

If only the Exploration of Space could be seen as Human Exploration rather than National Exploration then the combined budgets, IMO, could lead to some startling advancements.

I know, I'm whistling in the wind :whistle:

• Like 1

If only the Exploration of Space could be seen as Human Exploration rather than National Exploration then the combined budgets, IMO, could lead to some startling advancements.

To be quite honest, I think it's been the assumption that the US will automatically lead the way (thanks largely to Gene Rodenberry's flag-waving) that is, certainly, now holding things back, since the current President clearly has no interest in it at all. Perhaps Russia might be able to take over as the flag bearer for Humanity as a whole. (Some are of the opinion, for example, that Buran, which was cancelled when the USSR folded, would have been a better design, and arguably safer, than the Shuttle).

Tell me about it. I'm hooked on Star Trek: TNG right now and a big part of that is the idea that it's the "best case scenario" for humanity. No more need for "things", stopping all wars and coming together for a common purpose. Or as Picard puts it, "growing out of our infancy"

• Like 1

Well I'm sure its better than the first Russian crafts. After reentry they had to jump and parachute before it hit the ocean or ground cant remember which.

Well I'm sure its better than the first Russian crafts. After reentry they had to jump and parachute before it hit the ocean or ground cant remember which.

The didn't jump, the ejected and it was BECAUSE they landed over ground. Why does that make it a poor spacecraft?

Recovery costs were a fraction of that of the US Mercury, Gemini and Apollo spacecraft because you didn't need to launch a fleet of ships to recover the crew and capsule.

What's more no Vostok capsule was lost, unlike Gus Grissom's Liberty Bell 7, which sank and no Vostok cosmonaut was nearly killed in the landing process (Gus Grissom came close to drowning).

Vostok did what it was designed to do and it did it well.

• Like 2

Can't wait to see the pictures of this new Russian spacecraft. Hope it more imaginative design than NASA Orion Apollo retread.

It's not about being imaginative, it is about building what is safe and practical. NASA have gone back to a capsule design because that is the best design for a re-entry vehicle travelling at interplanetary speeds.

Since the new Russian spacecraft is also designed for deep space missions (the Russians want to build a base on the Moon) it too will be a capsule.

It's not about being imaginative, it is about building what is safe and practical. NASA have gone back to a capsule design because that is the best design for a re-entry vehicle travelling at interplanetary speeds.

Since the new Russian spacecraft is also designed for deep space missions (the Russians want to build a base on the Moon) it too will be a capsule.

Screw that, I want my Prometheus!

Saying that, you're probably right :unsure2:

The didn't jump, the ejected and it was BECAUSE they landed over ground. Why does that make it a poor spacecraft?

Recovery costs were a fraction of that of the US Mercury, Gemini and Apollo spacecraft because you didn't need to launch a fleet of ships to recover the crew and capsule.

What's more no Vostok capsule was lost, unlike Gus Grissom's Liberty Bell 7, which sank and no Vostok cosmonaut was nearly killed in the landing process (Gus Grissom came close to drowning).

Vostok did what it was designed to do and it did it well.

I quite agree the Russians make some kewl stuff. Sorry i generalised to give it more drama. Edited by McNessy