Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's fastest supercomputer - Tianhe-2

Still Waters

The Tianhe-2, a supercomputer developed by China’s National University of Defense Technology, has overtaken US rivals to become the world’s most powerful computer by a significant margin.

The annual Top 500 list was unveiled at the International Supercomputing Conference in Leipzig on Monday, with the Chinese Tianhe-2 (it means Milky Way 2) making a surprise entrance – analysts had not expected the computer to be ready until 2015.

http://www.independe...er-8663035.html

So China is building new supercomputers, Russia new manned space vehicles and what is America doing? Playing "Keystone Cops" with a runaway "spy". My head aches.......

• Like 2

So China is building new supercomputers, Russia new manned space vehicles and what is America doing? Playing "Keystone Cops" with a runaway "spy". My head aches.......

Yes, but is it faster than this one?

http://www.dwavesys.com/en/products-services.html

The USA might already be on the brink of quantum.

Edited by WoIverine

holy wacky batman thats fast

• Like 1

Huh. Well, more power to them.

Oh wait, that could be taken out of context.

In any event, having read the article, it's nice that their experts seem to recognize Intel processors as an integral part of their supercomputers.

I sure do like "inovation competition" like this. I presume it will encourage other countries such as the US and Japan, to raise the bar even higher. Perhaps when the petaflops are high enough, we will find a solution to many issues in medicine, environmental concerns, science in general, etc...

And the latest on the "runaway spy" is...

Snowden is a former CIA employee who later was hired as a contractor for the NSA. In that job, he gained access to documents that he gave to newspapers the Guardian and The Washington Post to expose what he contends are privacy violations by an authoritarian government.

Snowden also told the South China Morning Post newspaper in Hong Kong that "the NSA does all kinds of things like hack Chinese cellphone companies to steal all of your SMS data." He is believed to have more than 200 additional sensitive documents in laptops he is carrying.

Some observers said in addition to the sensitive data, Snowden's revelations have provided the Kremlin with propaganda arguments to counter the U.S. criticism of Russia's crackdown on opposition and civil activists under Putin.

"They would use Snowden to demonstrate that the U.S. government doesn't sympathize with the ideals of freedom of information, conceals key information from the public and stands ready to open criminal proceedings against those who oppose it," Konstantin Remchukov, the editor of independent daily Nezavisimaya Gazeta, said on Ekho Moskvy radio.

For one thing, D-Wave is a Canadian company.

And technically their machine is a ``quantum calculator'', not a ``quantum computer''.

Hmm, apples, oranges. :D