Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Taliban is ready to talk peace'

Drayno

http://news.yahoo.com/taliban-ready-talk-peace-says-senior-afghan-official-142519174.html;_ylt=A2KJ2UjyesBRp2sAslnQtDMD

By Hamid Shalizi

KABUL (Reuters) - The Taliban is willing to consider peace talks with the Afghan state following secret discussions, a senior Afghan official said on Tuesday, in what may be the first significant step towards an end to the long-running war.

"Peace talks will certainly take place between the Taliban and the High Peace Council," said the senior official, referring to the body created by Afghan President Hamid Karzai in 2010 to broker peace with the insurgency.

The Taliban has until now said it would not countenance peace talks with the Karzai government, it calls a "stooge" of the United States and other Western nations.

The peace talks, if they go ahead, could also lead to a reduction in fighting across Afghanistan, the official said.

I'm sure they would be. What better way to seize back power than by talking your way into positions where you can grab power whenever you like by elbowing aside the gullible "democratic" politicians who believe that you want Peace.

• Like 1

Yeh...right...

They will be peaceful as soon as they can terrorize the Afghans again...

• Like 2

We can but hope... but the Afghan Govt is better prepared now, still not hopeful however, and we must not get involved again IMO

• Like 1

We can but hope... but the Afghan Govt is better prepared now, still not hopeful however, and we must not get involved again IMO

We will stay involved, and be it only out of principle.

• Like 2

I'll believe it when it happens and they stop trying to cause problems.

• Like 2

A leopard can never change its spots. The best way to defeat an enemy is to make them believe that you want to talk peace.

• Like 2

Well, someday it will all be over,, when we finally find Osama .. er... Sadama ... um ,somebody really bad anyway. Then all the people will come out with all of the flowers they've been saving to shower us with for freeing them from.. uh themselves.

The MB gets financial aid and Al Queda gets weapons so I suppose they feel like they're being excluded from the party.

• Like 1

Another perfect end to a great war of freedom. What a joke. The Taliban were defeated, that is obvious because we have to negotiate peace....

A leopard can never change its spots. The best way to defeat an enemy is to make them believe that you want to talk peace.

I hope you are wrong. Remember that the present Taliban has had its leadership killed several times and that the senior leadership is now thin on the ground.

Edited by Frank Merton

I hope you are wrong. Remember that the present Taliban has had its leadership killed several times and that the senior leadership is now thin on the ground.

So how many times do the leadership have to be killed? It's like Al Qaeda's #2, who is killed by a Drone every couple of weeks,

• Like 2

So how many times do the leadership have to be killed? It's like Al Qaeda's #2, who is killed by a Drone every couple of weeks,

I dunno, but those at the top early on are gone. Lower down types who have now moved up are not the same people and may be less competent or less determined or less fanatical.

I dunno, but those at the top early on are gone. Lower down types who have now moved up are not the same people and may be less competent or less determined or less fanatical.

it'sd always the trouble with these kind of loose organisations, though, isn't it, like with Al Q, that kiling the leadership isn't the same as deposing the leader of a country; the government won't collapse as a result, because there is no government. There's never any shortage of people ready to take up the flag (as, perhaps, the Viet Cong demonstrated). And even if the new people rising to positions of power int he taliban may not be as competent or fanatical, well, that would hardly seem to be too much of a problem considering how competent and trustworthy the Afghan Security Forces and the puppet- er, democratic Afghan govt. that the US put in place are.

In this case, hope breeds eternal misery. What we are fighting is an ideology, an ideology that exists beyond the borders of Afghanistan. It is an ideology akin to a virus in the way it spreads. Good leadership is not necessary. A good leader will make it more deadly but killing off people doesn’t kill the mindset. The only way to change that ideology is to make it so sour in the pit of one’s stomach that they seek a new ideology.

Now how do you do that? You have to completely destroy the body. That’s not necessarily just killing people. It’s destroying their family and their way of life utterly. Make it so ugly to them that they give up. Now at first, they will be indignant and stubborn and will fight back. But this is the point in which we would have to redouble our efforts and when we think it can’t get any uglier, push it over the edge.

In recent memory that is what Hitler failed to do to the British and Russians, but how we succeeded with the Germans and Japanese. The world has the resources to accomplish this with really minimal effort but is the civilian stomach and political will there? I doubt it. We already know that the moderates that live under this ideology can’t or won’t reform from within so if the world does not want to live with this threat any longer, we need to take care of business on our own. How sour are our stomachs under this threat? How tired are we of it? If we do nothing, it *WILL* only get worse.

Basically, the US government is admitting defeat. Fine! They should never have gotten involved in this idiot "nation building" adventure in Afghanistan in the first place.

But why did they have to waste these enormous amounts of funds and so many lives for this nonsensical mission?

Obama and the rest of the dimwits who supported this should be sent packing.

In this case, hope breeds eternal misery. What we are fighting is an ideology, an ideology that exists beyond the borders of Afghanistan. It is an ideology akin to a virus in the way it spreads. Good leadership is not necessary. A good leader will make it more deadly but killing off people doesn't kill the mindset. The only way to change that ideology is to make it so sour in the pit of one's stomach that they seek a new ideology.

Now how do you do that? You have to completely destroy the body. That's not necessarily just killing people. It's destroying their family and their way of life utterly. Make it so ugly to them that they give up. Now at first, they will be indignant and stubborn and will fight back. But this is the point in which we would have to redouble our efforts and when we think it can't get any uglier, push it over the edge.

I agree that we are fighting an ideology. I disagree that the solution is to "destroy their family and their way of life". The solution is to openly address and take on the ideology of political islam.

But our politicians and media have not the will to do it and are shackled by Political Correctness. So yes, it WILL get worse. Much worse.

Edited by Zaphod222

Ya can't kill them all! The "trouble" with these loose organizations. Like some of us haven't been saying that for the past 11 years.

"Links to Al Qaeda" are talked about constantly in the media and nobody knows what that means. We've been told for 11 years that the Taliban has those links, what are we doing negotiating? According to doctrine and the parrot on TV, we don't negotiate with terrorists. But when the headline is that the enemy is ready to negotiate we're doing what we say we don't do, and on their timetable.

Of course we're admitting defeat. The only way the racket ends, I've said this 100 times, is when someone in Washington gets the political will up to end the war. Afghans aren't leaving. They're already home, they have nowhere to go. They'll stay until we leave, and after we do, they'll go back to what they do without us sticking our noses in their business. This was obvious 10 years ago, it's just as obvious now. It's so obvious it shouldn't need to be said; I'm saying it still, shockingly, for the benefit of others. The difference in ending the war now is, we're hundreds of billions of dollars in the hole to China, and we're now subsidizing China's Iraqi oil.

Borrowing money from China to spread democracy in the Middle East so China can reap the benefits? If I was China, I'd call that an investment. Investment using American labor, doing all the hard work and paying all the interest. When interest rates go from zero percent to five, six, seven, ten and whatever percent, and the cost of all this ponzi scheme borrowing increases enormously, even some democrats and republicans are going to start blathering hollow words about this money-waste and it'll be just as if they couldn't see it coming for years already.

So congratulations, US taxpaying dupes! The bipartisan republicans and democrats have indoctrinated you into sheep quite well.

• Like 2

I agree that we are fighting an ideology. I disagree that the solution is to "destroy their family and their way of life". The solution is to openly address and take on the ideology of political islam.

And how are you going to openly address the ideology of Islam?

The MB gets financial aid and Al Queda gets weapons so I suppose they feel like they're being excluded from the party.

We have already funded the Taliban. We paid so they would keep the roads clear so we can get our shipments to our troops. We also payed them not to grow opium. There have been other ways our funding has found its way to them as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-hughes/how-us-taxpayers-are-fund_b_1556454.html

http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/how-washington-funded-taliban

http://www.thenation.com/article/how-us-funds-taliban#axzz2WgoBTkVp

Anyways, talking and communication is always worth it.

• Like 1

And how are you going to openly address the ideology of Islam?

Through education. You can't modernise a backward culture through force which is basically what our western policies have been doing in Afghanistan and Iraq in the last dozen years.

There are most likely other interests involved (oil, gas, strategic positioning...) that may have placed our troops there but if you or anyone truly believes we went there to time warp the Afghans into the new millennium then I'm afraid we've been doing it the wrong way.

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Like 1

We have already funded the Taliban. We paid so they would keep the roads clear so we can get our shipments to our troops. We also payed them not to grow opium. There have been other ways our funding has found its way to them as well.

http://www.huffingto..._b_1556454.html

http://www.cato.org/...-funded-taliban

http://www.thenation...n#axzz2WgoBTkVp

Anyways, talking and communication is always worth it.

Yeah, I knew about the funding in the past but wasn't aware they were still getting conned. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1