Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Self check out

sod_2011

Are self-check out machines in supermarkets more trouble than they're worth? Does anyone else see less Humans getting jobs, being replaced by robots. Is it fair that Huge supermarkets who have alot of money running through them are replacing humans with self service machines. Surely it will all come crashing down soon

Edited by sod_2011
  • Like 3

I don't like using them too much unless I am in a hurry. It is fine for packaged stuff but when it comes to produce like kale, romaine or such...you either have to sift through the catalog or ask for help. Depending on the time of day you might not find it.

I suppose it can be ok if you just have one or two items but I agree it seems like a way for stores to save money on wages.

• Like 2

Since you can't purchase alcohol at them without it having to get an associate to come over, I always just go to the regular lines.

• Like 2

I have never even tried a 'DIY' checkout .............. even when staff have been very insistent(because of long queues at manned checkouts)!

• Like 1

If i have the time, I love using them just to pea off the assistant.

Need a swipe for the booze.

Then need to call them over because i have not "put the item in the bag" quick enough. (hehe)

Then they need to come over again because I move the bag off its weight thing.

Then more booze goes through!

Childish, of course and I love it! There is an assistant there, then let them earn their money!

• Like 4

I don't like them and won't use them. For awhile this one discount store here tried making everyone use them and people just about stopped shopping there, I did.

They take peoples jobs, don't need to be losing more jobs. Bet if we did use them the prices of merchandise wouldn't go down.

• Like 3

In my experience some stores already limit employees (cashiers at registers) and thus the long lines to check out. So we use self-checkout all the time. But ours do limit the number of items allowed at self-checkout.

What about the new pizza delivery drones they are trying out? Our delivery guy the other day must have been close to 70, and I doubt he was delivering pizza for the fun of it.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

At my local Walmart they shut down four "20 items or less" human check out lanes and installed self check out lanes instead. Now there are long lines for the self check outs, and long lines at the three or four human check outs.

The result of all this is some humans lost their jobs. I suppose Corporate America think they can earn more profits by deleting more and more jobs and keeping customers in poverty. Short-term thinking.

My mom and dad has some problems with them. Since I started working at Giant, I've seen some people having problems with them. I prefer a check out line with a clerk. |: It seems faster?

You know, not all of those "Self Check-Out" stations are easy to use even if they have big buttons.

If you have to look up a particular item, it can be easy at times if they have it alphabetized but in some places if you buy, say, a few bismarks...it can be a pain trying to find the price for them even if it is supposedly under the "Baked Good" category.

The system needs a bit of tweaking......like I said, they can be nice and convenient at times (especially if you're traveling) but for many being a cashier is the only job they can find.

the store I work at is getting them. And, it will help customers steal better because they will put them next to the exits...

There isn't enough cashiers to begin with.

They look too fiddly for my liking. I've never used one.

• Like 1

The grocery stores here mostly use them. (Coles and Woolworths). They don't take too much out of the huge register line and probably take the space of two registers but also requiring an assistant so one job (given every register is fully manned which isn't always the case) is not too much of a sacrifice when you look at the benefits of efficiency for customers buying a few items.

The only Coles store I've seen with more self serves than proper registers is the one near the railway station of my city, Melbournes CBD. This is usually because people are usually buying a small amount of items from this store and there are thousands of people that go through the doors each day.

My mom and dad has some problems with them. Since I started working at Giant, I've seen some people having problems with them. I prefer a check out line with a clerk. |: It seems faster?

I agree sort of for the younger generation. But the overall point being more jobs are being lost and being replaced by robots. I like to speak with humans they pester me to use them i say NO i'd like to speak with a human thank you.

Has anyone used those scan card readers? instead of entering you pin, you just hover over something?

• Like 1

Has anyone used those scan card readers? instead of entering you pin, you just hover over something?

Proximity card readers? Yes, but never for shopping.

Edited by The world needs you

Are self-check out machines in supermarkets more trouble than they're worth? Does anyone else see less Humans getting jobs, being replaced by robots. Is it fair that Huge supermarkets who have alot of money running through them are replacing humans with self service machines. Surely it will all come crashing down soon

We have self check outs over here in many of the big supermarkets.. Personally I find them most annoying and slow... If I use one, I know for a fact I will wind up calling someone for assistance... They only have about 2 - 3 at most in the bigger stores, along side the many checkout operators.. I think it is to make it quicker and the lines move faster... But they are annoying...I prefer the check out operators, they can get the job done much faster.............Besides, I cannot have small talk and chit chat with a self service check out :D

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

I've heard of touch readers but not hover readers. There is a major security flaw with touch scanners. I have put through many $100+ transactions where all that is needed is a touch and go.

That is why I stick with a debit card that will only allow transactions of whatever amount I have contained in the account. While being able to process the same transactions a credit card would. Losing my card I would have the security of controlling the cash on the card while minimising losses if they are in quick use by the user.

The Wal-mart where I live installed self-check-out lanes, and I like them.

I guess the reason why, for me, is that for one thing, I'm not standing behind 3 people with baskets full of 700 million items.

The store I go to has I think 8 seperate self checkout kiosks. So, it can be fast at least for me in that store.

Another thing is, yes, actual checkers are much quicker than I at one of those kiosks, but with my anxiety disorder it works well for me, as there is no-one directly in front or behind me and I am in total control. Weird, I know, but I feel better. Just my take on it.

Again, I would like to emphasize that my experience might be somewhat unique, as there are 8 and very little to no wait.

Could be a vastly different story in a large town.

I use them exclusively now for several months, at that store.

• Like 4

The only place I use them is at my local BJ's Wholesale Club.

My main reason for using it there is I can sometimes get away with using two of the same coupon or a coupon that's close to what I'm actually purchasing. It doesn't have to be exactly what the coupon says.

If the machine opts not to take a coupon, the helper comes over and usually manually over-rides the system and puts the coupon in for me without even checking to see if I have the item at all. :w00t:

The only place I use them is at my local BJ's Wholesale Club.

Please tell me this is some fast food restaurant or something like that. :cry:

• Like 2

I can't believe that a thread about supermarket checkouts is already onto it's second page!

• Like 1

Please tell me this is some fast food restaurant or something like that. :cry:

LOL!!! No, it's actually a very large wholesale distributor where you can go and purchase items in bulk.

BJs-MF.jpg

BJ's Wholesale Club

• Like 1