Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Salt Sugar Fat

Simbi Laveau

http://michaelmossbooks.com/books/salt-sugar-fat/

New York times investigative reporter,Michael Moss,has written a book,exposing the dangers of processed foods ,and how the food industry makes foods addictive,to boost their sales ,with no regard to health .

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 1

Some of us already knew about it, its also the reason why they have to put the ingredients on the packets. Maybe more people should read them, if they care!

Do you think this woman looked at the sugar content on the side of the box when buying it?

obese_woman_eating_cup_cake.jpg

• Like 2

You know, FTR, I doubt she did. And when she consumes that morsel all she will do is crave another and another...ad infinitum. Barring some sort of moment of clarity and a major life change, she will die in that condition or worse. Fat = unwanted, unloved and even feared on some primal level by the rest of humanity except for the few souls who happened to be close enough through circumstance to actually get to know them as a human beings instead of a caricature. I don't mean to single you out to say you are a bad person for feeling the way you do - that is your business and I actually understand the emotion, at least some...

But ask yourself this - if that picture was of a man drinking his 30 th beer of the day, or a crack head smoking his pipe, or a woman playing a slot machine with a glazed look in her eyes and the children's grocery money on the line...would you be as disgusted? How about if it was an anorexic who was just diagnosed and was just avoiding food because she was so worried about what other kindly souls might think of her obviously bloated body (that is a completely normal weight)?

All I'm saying is that we ALL have things we'd be better to do without and the first step is about being merciful to those who are literally KILLING themselves because they can't seem to meet their own or other's expectations of what they think they should be. I don't mean to offend - it's just that I knew someone like the woman in this photo. She died alone and it was easier for her than putting up with well meaning souls like many of US...even one more day.

• Like 2

2013 has been my year to get myself and my wife eating healthier. So far it's been going great. We rarely buy anything processed, buy low sodium where we can, substitute a lot of condiments and whatnot with all natural alternatives, etc. Not a major life change, but still making an impact. We've been sleeping better, feeling better, feeling more energetic and less fatigued mentally. Maybe just a placebo effect, but "when the food is right, the medicine is not needed"

• Like 3

Ah the holy trinity, salt sugar fat.

If that 22 teaspoons of sugar a day is accurate, that is an astonishing amount of sugar to consume daily, that's just under a half cup of sugar a day.

Don't eat much salt either.

Heh, I am bad about fat, I use real butter, and lard, and olive oil, eggs and whole dairy products. I always use the good stuff- in moderation.

I grew up in a sugar free household. My brother had a problem, so mom controlled it as much as she could, and is a really good from scratch cook. She always used lots of herbs and seasonings and took it easy on the salt too. When I was a teen she had a stroke, and it left her extremely salt sensitive which extra changed our salt consumption since I was her caretaker and I had to get really good at from scratch cooking. Heh, when I went to culinary school I was stunned by how much salt was used, always getting told by my chefs not enough salt. Mom also always used real fats too- in moderation.

I was extremely lucky I was raised is a low processed foods household. Cursed mom for it as a kid, but I thank her regularly now for it. Literally, I call her up sometimes just to thank her for teaching good food habits.

• Like 4

2013 has been my year to get myself and my wife eating healthier. So far it's been going great. We rarely buy anything processed, buy low sodium where we can, substitute a lot of condiments and whatnot with all natural alternatives, etc. Not a major life change, but still making an impact. We've been sleeping better, feeling better, feeling more energetic and less fatigued mentally. Maybe just a placebo effect, but "when the food is right, the medicine is not needed"

Henri Francois believed it too! (Jack LaLanne) :) He changed his whole life with nutrition and lived to a bubbly 96... what a man he was. And hes was only 5'6 tall !
  • Like 3

all things in moderation.

if you go by this standard you will be fine.

• Like 3

all things in moderation.

if you go by this standard you will be fine.

except for beer.

please tell me that you don't include beer in that phrase??

:-o

anyway, I once read somewhere, that said 10pts a day cuts your risk of getting cancer by over 100%!

yaaay! for reading toilet walls in pubs!!

:-)

• Like 4

I won't use margarine, it has to be real butter but I use it as little as possible and I don't salt my food a lot. Do like the sweets though but I try not to overdo it.

• Like 1

I'm going to get the book . He exposes major companies doing this purposely . He spoke to many chemists involved who can no longer abide what's being done to the majority of what most people buy at the average supermarket .

Ah the holy trinity, salt sugar fat.

If that 22 teaspoons of sugar a day is accurate, that is an astonishing amount of sugar to consume daily, that's just under a half cup of sugar a day.

Don't eat much salt either.

Heh, I am bad about fat, I use real butter, and lard, and olive oil, eggs and whole dairy products. I always use the good stuff- in moderation.

I grew up in a sugar free household. My brother had a problem, so mom controlled it as much as she could, and is a really good from scratch cook. She always used lots of herbs and seasonings and took it easy on the salt too. When I was a teen she had a stroke, and it left her extremely salt sensitive which extra changed our salt consumption since I was her caretaker and I had to get really good at from scratch cooking. Heh, when I went to culinary school I was stunned by how much salt was used, always getting told by my chefs not enough salt. Mom also always used real fats too- in moderation.

I was extremely lucky I was raised is a low processed foods household. Cursed mom for it as a kid, but I thank her regularly now for it. Literally, I call her up sometimes just to thank her for teaching good food habits.

I also use real butter because in moderation it is actually better for you than margarine. I never use lard though only coconut oil. There is nothing wrong with olive oil and eggs are fine in moderation. I also use whole dairy products. Since I have fructose malabsorption disorder I cannot eat many sweets which is probably best.

You know, FTR, I doubt she did. And when she consumes that morsel all she will do is crave another and another...ad infinitum. Barring some sort of moment of clarity and a major life change, she will die in that condition or worse. Fat = unwanted, unloved and even feared on some primal level by the rest of humanity except for the few souls who happened to be close enough through circumstance to actually get to know them as a human beings instead of a caricature. I don't mean to single you out to say you are a bad person for feeling the way you do - that is your business and I actually understand the emotion, at least some...

But ask yourself this - if that picture was of a man drinking his 30 th beer of the day, or a crack head smoking his pipe, or a woman playing a slot machine with a glazed look in her eyes and the children's grocery money on the line...would you be as disgusted? How about if it was an anorexic who was just diagnosed and was just avoiding food because she was so worried about what other kindly souls might think of her obviously bloated body (that is a completely normal weight)?

All I'm saying is that we ALL have things we'd be better to do without and the first step is about being merciful to those who are literally KILLING themselves because they can't seem to meet their own or other's expectations of what they think they should be. I don't mean to offend - it's just that I knew someone like the woman in this photo. She died alone and it was easier for her than putting up with well meaning souls like many of US...even one more day.

Hi and then, i am not sure you do know the way I feel about it. I do not look at her in disgust, just like i would not a crackhead, gambler or alcoholic. My father was a gambler, i have had my share of problems with drugs in the past (never again!) But drugs, gambling and alcohol do not affect the price of a loaf of bread.

People have weaknesses and the whole point of the article in this thread is that these companies know it. When you next go to the supermarket, have a look at the large lady with kids round her and see the food which in going into her trolley, have a look at the people who lives are rush rush rush and see what goes into their baskets, fast foods, processed foods, big packets of money saving crisps to keep the kids quiet, bottles of coke to rot their teeth, microwave meals to save on cooking themselves or their children a decent wholesome meal. AND unfortunately this has had a big impact of the foods healthy people want to buy, when was the last time you saw organic or non processed or non GM foods on special offer? These companies play on the weaknesses and the wants with convenient foods and people are addicted to them.

I can not be merciful to people like that woman, purely for this reason:

In some parts of the world people are dying because they can not get enough food.

In some parts of the world people are killing themselves because they are getting far too much of it.

Think about that for a moment!

peace.

• Like 2

Hi and then, i am not sure you do know the way I feel about it. I do not look at her in disgust, just like i would not a crackhead, gambler or alcoholic. My father was a gambler, i have had my share of problems with drugs in the past (never again!) But drugs, gambling and alcohol do not affect the price of a loaf of bread.

People have weaknesses and the whole point of the article in this thread is that these companies know it. When you next go to the supermarket, have a look at the large lady with kids round her and see the food which in going into her trolley, have a look at the people who lives are rush rush rush and see what goes into their baskets, fast foods, processed foods, big packets of money saving crisps to keep the kids quiet, bottles of coke to rot their teeth, microwave meals to save on cooking themselves or their children a decent wholesome meal. AND unfortunately this has had a big impact of the foods healthy people want to buy, when was the last time you saw organic or non processed or non GM foods on special offer? These companies play on the weaknesses and the wants with convenient foods and people are addicted to them.

I can not be merciful to people like that woman, purely for this reason:

In some parts of the world people are dying because they can not get enough food.

In some parts of the world people are killing themselves because they are getting far too much of it.

Think about that for a moment!

peace.

I respect this answer and as I said, I really am not judging. Those who are starving are doing so almost exclusively due to decisions made by their governments and it is a horrible crime. What an addict does in destroying themselves hurts no one outside their immediate circle - and of course, themselves. Seeing that image just brought my friend to mind and it makes me angry sometimes that the fat, the unlovely...are still singled out and the sins of the world deposited on them more than others and only because of their appearance. We all fall short. Not all are strong enough to make it. That woman in the image needs love as much as the starving person needs bread.
  • Like 1