Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Yulin dog meat festival

redhen

Pretty disgusting to know how financially beholden we are to our rich Chinese masters, whose human rights record is appalling and whose animal rights record is virtually non-existent. I don't know what else to say about this story, other than it was hard to read.

I've fallen in love with my girlfriend's dog who was rescued from the back of a Chevy van by her best friend from an abusive owner who either couldn't or wouldn't care for him when he was nine months old. She adopted him from her friend when he was three, he's 11 years old now and has brought more joy into my life than most people I've met ever could. He's not nearly as active as he used to be but it's fun to exercise him on potty breaks where I let him investigate around the apt complex at his leisure as much as I can. Chevy, I love you and can't wait to see you again soon!

"If a man aspires towards a righteous life, his first act of abstinence is from injury to animals." --Albert Einstein

Einstein's is an abstinence I can live with.

Bittman's video is worth watching. Slaughter soy; save a chicken:

http://www.nytimes.c...ating.html?_r=0

If anyone else shops at Kroger, they have a 'Simple Truth' brand of organic meatless chicken and the texture and taste is fantastic. Pretty healthy too (though I buy the breaded ones) and I'd never know it wasn't chicken if I didn't already know what I was buying.

• Like 1

I was invited to a Filipino BBQ once and had dog meat without knowing. My Pinoy buddy gave me some meat and said try it. I ate it, and thought it was tasty. He then told me it was dog meat and laughed. At first i was sick, but then i was like , it wasn't bad, it was tasty. I didn't eat anymore dog that night, but thought to myself if there was ever war or famine, i could just eat dog, lol.

Its a tribal thing ... some would say it is a last grasp straw at holding on to a distinct 'Cultural heritage'

It is just a few minority group and branding all Chinese is not factual ... fact is more dogs are having a better standard of living than most China nationals , Asians too for that matter.

They keep up the practice with this festival mainly because of the old ancient methods of surviving the cold in that part of the world, days when beggars cant be choosers.

Some still don't have access to the modern means of surviving the cold climates in those areas.

Never had dog meat myself as I know of alternate sources to use with the herbal and natural remedies, hare or rabbits for instance.

~

Pretty disgusting to know how financially beholden we are to our rich Chinese masters, whose human rights record is appalling and whose animal rights record is virtually non-existent. I don't know what else to say about this story, other than it was hard to read.

I've fallen in love with my girlfriend's dog who was rescued from the back of a Chevy van by her best friend from an abusive owner who either couldn't or wouldn't care for him when he was nine months old. She adopted him from her friend when he was three, he's 11 years old now and has brought more joy into my life than most people I've met ever could. He's not nearly as active as he used to be but it's fun to exercise him on potty breaks where I let him investigate around the apt complex at his leisure as much as I can. Chevy, I love you and can't wait to see you again soon!

"If a man aspires towards a righteous life, his first act of abstinence is from injury to animals." --Albert Einstein

Einstein's is an abstinence I can live with.

Bittman's video is worth watching. Slaughter soy; save a chicken:

http://www.nytimes.c...ating.html?_r=0

If anyone else shops at Kroger, they have a 'Simple Truth' brand of organic meatless chicken and the texture and taste is fantastic. Pretty healthy too (though I buy the breaded ones) and I'd never know it wasn't chicken if I didn't already know what I was buying.

I have to agree with you and not 3rd Eye.

I understand and believe traditions and the reason for preserving them. But the inhumane methods are not required, and I do not see why the meat canot be substituted and as such any original lesson to be passed on retained as history, not practise.

I could not knowingly eat dog myself.

• Like 1

nothing wrong with eating a dog ! dont forget the fact that we are humans ! i wouldn't mind going to some other planet and eating some aliens :D . that looks really cute ! food food food thats what we all are ! every living creature is food for something else !

only if you are a true vegan . you can say that it is wrong to eat a dog ! but i have a hard time hearing those words coming from someone that is eating meat .. while having a pet ! thats just discrimination !

nothing wrong with eating a dog ! dont forget the fact that we are humans !

non sequitur

only if you are a true vegan . you can say that it is wrong to eat a dog ! but i have a hard time hearing those words coming from someone that is eating meat .. while having a pet ! thats just discrimination !

Tu quoque

[media=]

[/media]

Dog is just as fair game for dinner as is a cow, pig, chicken, etc. Unless someone is a vegan and uses/eats NO animal products whatsoever, they don't have a right to complain if someone is eating a dog just because said dog looks cute, etc.

Until Americans resolve the horrid treatment of animals in their own food chain they have little right to comment on other societies.

Begin with the way cows and chickens are treated and move forward.

Until Americans resolve the horrid treatment of animals in their own food chain they have little right to comment on other societies.

Begin with the way cows and chickens are treated and move forward.

Criticisms can certainly be laid against the inhumane slaughter methods on these dogs (and cats). In America there are federal policies that supposedly oversee the kill procedure. Of course many times things go wrong and sometimes the animals are tortured just for fun as witnessed by several undercover videos. But in Asia, torturing the animals allegedly increases the flavour. That and dog meat is supposed to keep you warm in winter and probably helps your chi or some other nonsense. Any meat will raise your metabolism and body temperature so this whole argument is hogwash.

That said, you are correct, there is no moral difference between eating dog, cow or chicken flesh. As I've remarked many times on these forums, if you live in a modern agricultural society it is not necessary to eat animal flesh to stay healthy.

When it comes to choice of animals to eat, the question is not how intelligent it is, or how cute it is or how friendly it is, the question should be; can it feel pain?

• Like 1

Agreed, mostly, but we do this on an industrial scale not just during a festival in the alley.

Huge difference as having traditional motives versus profit motives too.

Edited by The world needs you