Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Passing Gas and weight

Rob Awesome

I've often wondered and asked this question and I've never come close to a consensus. When you pass gas do you gain or lose weight?

Your gas is usually warmer than the ambient temperature and it makes its way to your nose, so I assume it rises and therefore must be as light or lighter than air. So is releasing it like letting the hot air out of a ballon?

On the other hand is the gas dense or compressed enough that you actually get lighter by releasing it?

I'm sure science could tell us but why ruin the wonder?

Well if you are so worried about science 'ruining' the wonder then why ask?

Edited by Ryu

My vote would be for yes... if something was part of your total mass and then became separated from it then the total would have to be reduced. Good luck finding that scale to prove it though :)

Passing gas is a natural sitiuation.

For humans, it's about 14+ times a day. Very much normal.

For women, they tend to hold it in, which can make more of an unpleasent odor when expressed, due to the "back-up" in the colon.

For men, they tend to do it "on the spot" and as such much less "smelly'

EDIT: Don't hit me. That's what Doctor OZ said a few weeks ago.

As far as any true weight reduction from passing gas, forget it.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

I've often wondered and asked this question and I've never come close to a consensus. When you pass gas do you gain or lose weight?

Your gas is usually warmer than the ambient temperature and it makes its way to your nose, so I assume it rises and therefore must be as light or lighter than air. So is releasing it like letting the hot air out of a ballon?

On the other hand is the gas dense or compressed enough that you actually get lighter by releasing it?

I'm sure science could tell us but why ruin the wonder?

You've posted this before -

http://www.unexplain...opic=232765&hl=