Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Files shed light on MoD UFO desk closure

Newly declassified files have provided new insight in to the reason the MoD stopped looking in to UFOs.

The Ministry of Defence closed its UFO desk because it served "no defence purpose" and was taking staff away from "more valuable defence-related activities", newly released files show.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Which suggests one of two things, doesn't it; either that the MOD really do know the truth about UFOs, and knows without doubt what they are, or, and possibly more likely, that Nick Pope and the "X-Files Desk" was only ever a front , which was designed to give the impression that the MOD wasn't really that interested, while of course the real investigation of the UFO Phenomenon went on behind the scens, and is of course still going on.

• Like 1

The MOD UFO Desk was always a one-way interface to procure and collate reports from the public and civilian/amateur UFO groups, never more so than during Pope's paper-pushing tenure.

• Like 1

From the article:

"A report from a man from Cardiff who claimed a UFO abducted his dog, and took his car and tent, while he was camping with friends in 2007"

That guy had one hell of a weekend. Those pesky aliens, they cross interstellar space and turn out to be nothing but common thieves and dog nappers.

Edited by EnderOTD

Which suggests one of two things, doesn't it; either that the MOD really do know the truth about UFOs, and knows without doubt what they are, or, and possibly more likely, that Nick Pope and the "X-Files Desk" was only ever a front , which was designed to give the impression that the MOD wasn't really that interested, while of course the real investigation of the UFO Phenomenon went on behind the scens, and is of course still going on.

umm, those are the only two possibilities you could come up with? Where's Occam when we need him..

• Like 2

The intelligence gatherers must have decided that any 'visitors' popping in indeed pose no threat to the military or defence.

umm, those are the only two possibilities you could come up with? Where's Occam when we need him..

So the more likely possibility is what, in your view? That the MOD have concluded that UFOs are nothing for them to be concerned about? That would surely imply that they must know what they all- all of them - are. Really, does that seem likely to you?

it's more likely the MOD shut it down due to budget cuts

• Like 1

So the more likely possibility is what, in your view?

What the article says... And as the UFO/ET sections of this forum show quite well, the simple fact is that the vast majority of ufo's are explainable, and those that are left unexplained or even vaguely interesting, are of no real interest as they are no threat to anyone or anything.

That the MOD have concluded that UFOs are nothing for them to be concerned about?

Yes. Or to be a little more accurate, they have explained most of them (and some no doubt are still threats, like lightning damaging a plane's avionics..) and the number of remaining, truly unidentified things is very low indeed, and doesn't contain anything worthy of having a special branch.. (And I'd hazard a guess that Nick Pope didn't exactly help to make that branch seem worthwhile... - sorry Nick, but it has to be said..)

That would surely imply that they must know what they all- all of them - are.

All? That's silly. So no, it most certainly does not. Just from one viewpoint - there are many natural atmospheric phenomena we don't understand (ask any storm expert about lightning & ball lightning, sprites, plasma, and the like). Then consider the human perception problem, and the huge past incentive to drum up the-aliens-are-coming bull to ensure higher levels of defence spending. Those days are over - there is too much science and good recording technology around nowadays for pilots to get away with making up stories.

So what's left? Nothing of interest. If you have anything new, let us know..

Really, does that seem likely to you?

Ah, no, of course not. I forgot, gubmints are ebil and they always lie about everything, even when they tell the truth... Happy?

As it has been confirmed in the Disclosure project and the 2013 Citizen Hearing on Disclosure, these craft, whatever their origin, are capable of disabling dozens of nuclear missiles simultaneously. They have been documented to do so mid-air as well. The accounts are numerous and confirmed by a high number of military personnel, retired and active, high ranking and low-ranking. And the MoD says they are not a threat. And I'm sure these can be explained away as natural phenomena. You know what? Call them natural, I don't care, these are labels we like to stick on stuff. Point is, there is something going on and it needs further investigations, because the bottom line is, and let's be honest and humble here for a change, we don't understand what's going on, what or who they are, why they are here, why they do the things they do, how they do it, etc. You can't keep shouting swamp gas and weather balloons all the time, coupled with mass hallucinations and mental problems, and ignore all the abductions, mutilations, radiation, multiple radar tracks, foreign materials with weird properties, and now this Atacama humanoid, not to mention crop circles and the like. If it was one or two of these then the alternative explanations (in this case the natural ones) could be considered a possibility, but all this stuff all together? You can't just ignore the testimonies of all these jet fighters and nuclear silo military officers. Ben Rich wasn't exaggerating.

Edited by Rolci

What the article says... And as the UFO/ET sections of this forum show quite well, the simple fact is that the vast majority of ufo's are explainable, and those that are left unexplained or even vaguely interesting, are of no real interest as they are no threat to anyone or anything.

Yes. Or to be a little more accurate, they have explained most of them (and some no doubt are still threats, like lightning damaging a plane's avionics..) and the number of remaining, truly unidentified things is very low indeed, and doesn't contain anything worthy of having a special branch.. (And I'd hazard a guess that Nick Pope didn't exactly help to make that branch seem worthwhile... - sorry Nick, but it has to be said..)

All? That's silly. So no, it most certainly does not. Just from one viewpoint - there are many natural atmospheric phenomena we don't understand (ask any storm expert about lightning & ball lightning, sprites, plasma, and the like). Then consider the human perception problem, and the huge past incentive to drum up the-aliens-are-coming bull to ensure higher levels of defence spending. Those days are over - there is too much science and good recording technology around nowadays for pilots to get away with making up stories.

So what's left? Nothing of interest. If you have anything new, let us know..

Ah, no, of course not. I forgot, gubmints are ebil and they always lie about everything, even when they tell the truth... Happy?

:rolleyes: . I'm not one of those " gubmints are ebil " people, for heaven's sake. Is that the best your argument can come down to? I am, however, one of those "gubmints wouldn't be competent to organise a nice cup of tea" people, and my point was that the likelihood of the Ministry of Defence knowing all there is to know about the subject of UFOs does not seem very likely to me.

And they do lie as a matter of routine, surely you're not naive enough to think that they don't, only their lies are usually to cover up their lack of knowledge and/or that they've cocked up again, not because they know the Truth and they're covering it up.

• Like 1

Those days are over - there is too much science and good recording technology around nowadays for pilots to get away with making up stories.

I'm glad you brought that up. However it saddens me to see people being so gullible as to believe that these recording technologies are set up in a way that they will tell us everything we want to know about UFOs. If you HAD done any research you would've found out that all this "too much science and good recording technology" is set up in a very specific way. To give you a clue I recommend you watch a video in which Senator Bartlett and Congressman Cook ask FAA's John Callahan and USAF's Maj. George Filer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USdAyg6h7qQ Hope this helps a little.

Edited by Rolci

As it has been confirmed in the Disclosure project and the 2013 Citizen Hearing on Disclosure, these craft, whatever their origin, are capable of disabling dozens of nuclear missiles simultaneously. They have been documented to do so mid-air as well. The accounts are numerous and confirmed by a high number of military personnel, retired and active, high ranking and low-ranking. And the MoD says they are not a threat. And I'm sure these can be explained away as natural phenomena. You know what? Call them natural, I don't care, these are labels we like to stick on stuff. Point is, there is something going on and it needs further investigations, because the bottom line is, and let's be honest and humble here for a change, we don't understand what's going on, what or who they are, why they are here, why they do the things they do, how they do it, etc. You can't keep shouting swamp gas and weather balloons all the time, coupled with mass hallucinations and mental problems, and ignore all the abductions, mutilations, radiation, multiple radar tracks, foreign materials with weird properties, and now this Atacama humanoid, not to mention crop circles and the like. If it was one or two of these then the alternative explanations (in this case the natural ones) could be considered a possibility, but all this stuff all together? You can't just ignore the testimonies of all these jet fighters and nuclear silo military officers. Ben Rich wasn't exaggerating.

Where is the documentation of UFOs disabling nuclear missles?

I thought it interesting that...

"The level of resources diverted to this task is increasing in response to a recent upsurge in reported sightings, diverting staff from more valuable defence-related activities."

So when an area needs more people to help investigate phenomena/reports, the better thing to do is close it down?

• Like 1

Where is the documentation of UFOs disabling nuclear missles?

Nowadays it's hard to figure out for what purpose any such superficial enquiry is made. Hoping the one source someone gives out of the thousands will be one the asker will be all to happy to attack and point out the questionable nature of? Anyway, have you tried google? I'm sure if you do proper research you will find what you're looking for. I could recommend the April 30th afternoon session of the Citizen Hearing. Great starting point for anyone. The testimonies of Capt. Robert Salas and Capt. David Schindele in particular. Don't forget, these men were sworn to secrecy. Do you think the military will publish the results of such investigations? All we have is videos, quite a few of those, good enough for some.

Rolci, your claim of alien UFOs disabling nuclear missiles has been discussed to death elsewhere, and there is NO, NADA, ZERO evidence of anything ALIEN.

If you claim otherwise, post that specific evidence here rather than handwave.

it saddens me to see people being so gullible as to believe that these recording technologies are set up in a way that they will tell us everything we want to know about UFOs.

Ah, the obligatory strawman. Thanks for showing your true colours!

Let's be quite specific:

1. NOBODY said the technologies were infallible.

2. NOBODY has ever claimed we can identify everything about unidentified objects in the sky - such a claim is simply ludicrous.

3. And here's the rub, you tell us - WHY are all the 'good' UFO reports from the 50's thru 80's? Show us some from the last two decades - cases that include good footage/data from FLIRs or radar, etc..

That was my point, back in the good ole days, pilots could easily claim it was a UFO when they had performed wild maneuvers or used weapons in peacetime, and not only would you get away with it as the tech wasn't there to verify it, but your superiors would happily accept it as it helped them keep their jobs and justify extra expenditure.

Stop making up fake arguments and putting your words into other people's mouths.

Rolci, your claim of alien UFOs disabling nuclear missiles has been discussed to death elsewhere, and there is NO, NADA, ZERO evidence of anything ALIEN.

If you claim otherwise, post that specific evidence here rather than handwave.

I made NO, NADA, ZERO references to the UFOs being of alien origin. Although one might use common sense after doing the necessary amount of research, or not do the research and believe what one wants. However I am not trying to use this particular topic or even forum to convince anyone of the existence of aliens, it is not my job, and no matter how much evidence is shown to anyone, the ONLY thing that can make ANYONE believe anything is the person itself. If you want to be a genuine hard-core flat-earther, you're welcome. Plenty of those nutjobs around. Even if there was a mass landing with aliens walking out and you could touch them, you could still say it's all a secret US genetic experiment. The bottom and at the same time the top line is simply this: everyone does and will always believe what they want. Some will "put up" with little evidence. Those that need more will love calling them gullible. Yes the representatives of each category can and will call all the others names. Sweat. Let's grow up and move on, respecting others' beliefs.

To answer your third questions: there's plenty of those nowadays. May I ask you if you actually watched the CHD? Plenty of examples there, some a couple years old, some even days, although they are only scratching the surface. I could give more obvious reasons for the apparent change from the 50s-80s to nowadays but I'm afraid they cannot be accepted by the likes of you (no offence intended) without a leap of faith. The thing is, if you're genuinely interested you'll find your answer. If you don't find it, you never really wanted to know. A hint would be: policies change. Let that suffice for this discussion. Fake arguments? Only genuine ones, from someone with a different background to you. Respect?

In particular, Google Capt Robert Salas's testimony, IIRC he was the OIC at the launch site:

http://online.wsj.co...507-908600.html

Ah, Robert Salas and Robert Hastings.. If it's just links you wish to debate with, you could start here:

http://www.scribd.co...itary-Incidents

but I have MUCH, MUCH more if you want.. It's a load of {insert favorite saying)..

I made NO, NADA, ZERO references to the UFOs being of alien origin.

Oh. OK. I humbly apologise for making such an unwarranted assumption. What you did say was:

You can't keep shouting swamp gas and weather balloons all the time, coupled with mass hallucinations and mental problems, and ignore all the abductions, mutilations, radiation, multiple radar tracks, foreign materials with weird properties, and now this Atacama humanoid, not to mention crop circles and the like. If it was one or two of these then the alternative explanations (in this case the natural ones) could be considered a possibility, but all this stuff all together?

I get the fact that you believe in all that and it is all related in your view.. so .. what is your explanation?

• Like 1

"No UFO sighting reported to [the MoD] has ever revealed anything to suggest an extra-terrestrial presence or military threat to the UK."

It is automatically a threat, unbelievable how we think someone who will travel the stars and in the end would share some portion of technology is a threat and would be most likely attacked...

Edited by Tesla II

Well thats all just crap, im not even Brit and I can tell you that that did not happen. Too many of the wrong people knew about the subject. Furthermore if you have a huge secret to keep you generally want to cut off all ties to it. In this case black bagging evidence of advanced weaponary and advanced technology. Why would I say this? This is for the paranoid mind of a super power country.

It is the responsability of all leaders to find all possible threats to the safety and security of the people and their programs and their agenda's. Thats why each nation has spies. If North America or China or Korea or any country that is a threat to Britain manages to make contact with these unidentified beings, they want to know about it, it's a need to know. If a UFO is downed on another nations soil, they need to know about it. It's the nature of competition. The country with the most advanced technology is the nation that can't be defeated or denied.

If you found that technology you don't want everybody to know about it, so you cut the program off and let go of all non-essential personnel. You start up a program somewhere out of sight, out of mind, with people with the right insight and the right mind who are the right element for the job.

If the lay person knows you have this technology, have talked to these visitors, they will be harder to control, it will change the face of the nation and of the world. You can't conduct operations in secret nor use the technology for your own purposes in secret.

Enjoy!

Very interesting replies to say the least. And some replies with such vehement emotion! I did find a very interesting televised event on YouTube from a show from Larry King debating this very topic and most interestingly a video of an UFO disabling a test rocket launched from Malmstrom U.S. Air Force base. If any wishes to see the "evidence" look up "Best Larry King UFO Debate Ever Pt. 1 7/18/08". It is without a doubt the very best debate I, myself, have ever seen. It is a five part video with the most notable so called UFO geeks and scientists. No matter what side of the fence you set on I think anyone will finish watching these with a different frame of mind. I hope those of us who so quick to judge will be as quick to watch the evidence.

So, the amount of reports concerning UFO sightings is rising and this take too much ressources to investigate which could be use elsewhere in other activity of the Defense. They haven't been able to conclude anything so they close the door.

Do not tell me that this shed lights on the UFO phenomenon, this is merely a matter of money savings by a British conservative governement.

Oh. OK. I humbly apologise for making such an unwarranted assumption. What you did say was:

I get the fact that you believe in all that and it is all related in your view.. so .. what is your explanation?

No disrespect but from only a few words you seem to make a lot of assumptions and seem to jump to conclusions. I do not "believe in all that". Well yes I believe there are crop circles, although I do not believe that that is a matter of belief. Same goes for the rest. Do I believe they are related? The way I would put it, I consider that possibility. What is my explanation? Who am I to have one? And why would you or anyone want to know MY explanation or take my word for it? All I have is opinions, although based on a lot of research yet mostly biased, same as everyone else. For all I know, they can be part of a big secret government project. All those who claim to channel messages, all those that make crop circles, all those who use tools working on suppressed tech, they can be working for a government or even private agency whose agenda is to make people believe in ufos, or even just divide the population to fragment it even further as if religion wasn't enough so we are more easily controllable. Or they are related and it's aliens. How would I know? I know one thing for sure though: Not all the evidence in the world is enough to prove one way or another. One side can always cry conspiracy, the other can cry cover-up. The more seeming evidence, the more sophisticated theories and methods needed to explain either way but the spectrum is endless as human imagination is endless. Flat-earthers are serious folks with serious and elaborate explanations for the seeming roundness of the Earth. If you want to explain something away you will, and will even convince others, or at least make them think and wonder. Who cares who believes what? No one knows and everyone believes what they want. No explanations, sorry. Did I say anything new here? I don't think so.