Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

opinion needed on unexplained photo I took

interstatemook

i was taking photos of the sun for my astro collection yesterday and noticed while going thru the photos a object in different postions in every photo. it seemed at first like maybe dust in the camera or a bad reflection but after zooming in 400x the object seemed to have a shape and form to it. it didnt make any sounds and didnt seem like a bird or airplane of any sort. maybe im right, maybe im wrong whats your take? i also have a video i took the next day which also showed the same objects moving around the sun. i captured screen shots that i can post also if you are interested. All photos were taken on a tripod outdoors from Valley Stream,NY SORRY FOR THE LARGE PICTURES BUT IF YOU LOOK IN THE TOP LEFT CORNER YOU CAN SEE. I have more photos of the same object in multiple places around the sun

1-DSC02550-001.jpg1-DSC02550.jpg1-captionufo.jpg

Edited by interstatemook
  • Like 1

You may want this in the

Astronomy and Astrophysics

Section. Lot of experience there.

Welcome iam from Long Island also very cool pic.could it be a planet or ufo

You may want this in the

Astronomy and Astrophysics

Section. Lot of experience there.

ok thank you very much i will move it over there. but can you tell me how to do it lol =0D Edited by interstatemook

Welcome iam from Long Island also very cool pic.could it be a planet or ufo

thanks i am kinda excited because everyone keeps telling me i MAY have something. but noone is sure of what it exactly is

I usually shrug these things off as people looking for attention, but you got me kinda interested.

Can you post the other images so we can see?

I usually shrug these things off as people looking for attention, but you got me kinda interested.

Can you post the other images so we can see?

sure i will post all the original images i have. give me a few minutes to upload them

Almost looks like there's two separate objects :no:

1-DSC02545spot.JPG2-DSC02546spot.JPG4-DSC02548spot.JPG5-DSC02549spot.JPGCheck Out These Last Three Images In The Bottom Left Hand Corner. It Goes From Two to One Back to Two

6-DSC02553spot.JPG7-DSC02554spot.JPG8-DSC02555spot.JPG

Probably if you can post the exact time and place of the photos, people could tell what was in the sky at that time.

Personnally, my guess would be satalites. Perhaps several of them seen at different times.

Another option might be an asteroid. Unknown ones are passing by pretty much all the time and even NASA says they miss some now and then.

Could you explain what equipment was being used, and how much experience you have with it and its behavior when pointed into the Sun?

In particular, were you using manual focus? I have a reason for asking - have you looked carefully at all the 'stuff' captured on these images? There's a lot...

Off the top of my head, it looks like the images were very much out of focus, to the extent that close up dust and other debris (on the sensor or in/on the lens/filter) is being resolved, hence all the bits of 'stuff' and what looks like hairs, eg:

post-95887-0-05429900-1371881673_thumb.j

The bright spots are most likely small specks of nearby dust floating past or perhaps a close insect or three, but it could also be bits of debris in/on the camera at exactly the right angle to reflect the Sun, or perhaps a lens flare or small optical defect in the lens (these might only flash into visibility at very precise angles). I also note that much of the stuff is showing what appears to be 'coma' or similar optical effects - that could be a result of the very small aperture that was used or perhaps a less than perfect lens or teleconverter attachment.

The important thing here is that image shows all the signs of NOT being focused anywhere near infinity, and that means that anything remotely sharp (like the 'debris' I've circled) and anything else, like the bright specks are in fact very *close* to the camera.

Sorry.

And please go easy on the enlargements - 400x?? Presenting images that have been zoomed beyond 1:1 pixel level is only useful if:

- the images are not severely compressed (these clearly are...)

- no interpolation is used (it looks as if it has...)

A few notes for other budding sun/moon/star photographers..

- shooting into the Sun for more than a few seconds may result in damage to your camera's sensor - best to use a proper solar filter

- AF (autofocus) is pretty much useless for this sort of imaging. MANUAL focus on infinity.

- for stars/moon, etc, use a tripod obviously (and use the self timer to fire the shutter, so the camera is dead still)

• Like 2

Probably if you can post the exact time and place of the photos, people could tell what was in the sky at that time.

Personnally, my guess would be satalites. Perhaps several of them seen at different times.

Another option might be an asteroid. Unknown ones are passing by pretty much all the time and even NASA says they miss some now and then.

I to was thinking satellites crossing between the sun and the earth. I know you can see them moving across the sky at night, I've often seen them while on the boat in the bay. It just looks like a single star moving steadily across the night sky.

Problem with satellites (or venus or similar) is that they aren't all that big or bright in daytime - these images appear to have been taken just before midday, with the camera set to 1/4000 sec and f22, ISO 200... A plane catching the sun might do it, but.. I don't think that is possible because the lens appears to be focused nowhere near infinity..

Just look at all the other stuff that the Op seems not to have noticed - hairs, dust, etc in the image - it's focused very very close, imnsho.. Looking at the last image, there are white specks all over the place. It wouldn't surprise me if OP is also gradually frying his sensor in the sun and pixels are failing.. ('hot' pixels)..

• Like 1

ok thank you very much i will move it over there. but can you tell me how to do it lol =0D

Pm a mod....You can do this easier by hitting the " report " button on your very first post....Just ask for this to be moved.

Problem with satellites (or venus or similar) is that they aren't all that big or bright in daytime - these images appear to have been taken just before midday, with the camera set to 1/4000 sec and f22, ISO 200... A plane catching the sun might do it, but.. I don't think that is possible because the lens appears to be focused nowhere near infinity..

Just look at all the other stuff that the Op seems not to have noticed - hairs, dust, etc in the image - it's focused very very close, imnsho.. Looking at the last image, there are white specks all over the place. It wouldn't surprise me if OP is also gradually frying his sensor in the sun and pixels are failing.. ('hot' pixels)..

it could be the ISS which can be seen if you take pictures of it. In the day tooo

thank you guys for your help. i think i would be more excited if it were a satellite. i knew about all the dust particles on the lens so i tried to see what was dust and other particles and what wasnt. i really appreciate everyone taking the time out to check these out. now that i know for sure they arent anything i can throw them on the back burner lol. i am dropping my camera off to get the lens and sensor cleaned.

here is the info if anyone is interested even though we came to the conclusion that its dirt

the footage was shot on a tripod with MF in Shutter Mode.

I was using a sony nex-vg10.

they were all shot between 11:11 and 11:12am on 6/19/13

using a focal length between 194mm and 200mm

1/4000 Manual exposure f22

Iso 200

Auto White Balance

Now that I've seen the video, yes, it's almost certainly nearby bugs and dust catching the sunlight. Nice camera, by the way, but you really need to use manual focus to focus it on infinity...

but .. I also have to say I winced in pain watching that! You should never point any sort of camera steadily at the sun for that long, no matter what the exposure settings, unless you are using proper solar filters. I'd say you are very lucky if the sensor hasn't suffered permanent damage.

That's possibly a tribute to Sony sensor engineering - although they get a fair bit of flack, they make some of the best sensors and cameras on the planet... (I love my Sony Alpha 57.. and no I don't work for them or have shares..)

• Like 4

Now that I've seen the video, yes, it's almost certainly nearby bugs and dust catching the sunlight. Nice camera, by the way, but you really need to use manual focus to focus it on infinity...

but .. I also have to say I winced in pain watching that! You should never point any sort of camera steadily at the sun for that long, no matter what the exposure settings, unless you are using proper solar filters. I'd say you are very lucky if the sensor hasn't suffered permanent damage.

That's possibly a tribute to Sony sensor engineering - although they get a fair bit of flack, they make some of the best sensors and cameras on the planet... (I love my Sony Alpha 57.. and no I don't work for them or have shares..)

lol im very happy i didnt damage my sensors now that youve told me this. lol but thanks for the advice. i will definetly keep this in mind