Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I think Shrinks and Society are crazy not me

LostSouls7

After many years of thinking and reading so called work of experts I have found my own truth.

I feel society and most mainstream religion sells you limited beliefs to hold you back.

However I saw through this at a young age.

Well here is an example. A Shrink will say I am crazy.

But don't you think being "normal" Dress like, looking like, talking like,

and thinking like everyone else is crazy?

For example to express my freedom. I shall dress in a Wizard Robe and Hat..

everywhere I go.. YES this includes Walmart.

What would the experts say that I am nut?

But no I am actually much wiser than them.

Their fancy books and medications have no effect on me.

I am truly free.. most people don't even have the mental freedom to Dress as they choose...

What do you think? let the games begins!

The battle of wits has begun

• Like 6

I'm not sure why'd you be labeled as "crazy" based on the way you dress.

Don't societal mores on freedom of expression such as the way one dresses or doesn't dress depend too on where you are/attitudes of the people there?

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 4

What is freedom?

Your turn.

• Like 3

I also think, that shrinks and most mainstream society is crazy, not me....I've been saying this for years.... ;)

I think it's crazy to go to a 9 to 5 office job you hate for 30 years....monatony is the mind killer....

Rousseau says, "Man is born free, yet everywhere he is in chains!"

People don't seem to realize it is not just government, that limits people's freedoms, but also our habits, jobs, or our ideological thinking....some people are so indoctrinated into their way of thinking, by school or religion, that they really can't see the bigger picture....

In every cry of every man,

In every infant's cry of fear,

In every voice, in every ban,

The mind-forg'd manacles I hear.

-- William Blake

• Like 9

There are TONS of people who don't have 9-to-5 jobs, dress unusually and live outside the mainstream and there aren't herds of doctors calling them crazy... not in the medical sense anyway.

If you walk around the store in a big pointy hat with gold stars on it, people may call you crazy, but that's not a diagnosis. lol

What battle of wits are you talking about? To me it sounds like you expect people to all go, "Oh yes, you're nuts!" and then you will flex your opinionated mental muscles and counter them with some "you're a slave to society!" hoopla.

Sure, there are plenty of limiting beliefs in our society. Most people just accept them. I don't call that crazy either.

• Like 4

I think it's crazy to go to a 9 to 5 office job you hate for 30 years....monatony is the mind killer....

But would it be crazy for someone with a dependent family?

I think too many people (not singling out you) equate freedom with hedonism or licentiousness. Freedom can have many denotations and connotations. One aspect that rings true to me is that freedom necessarily entails sacrifice and hard work. Lebron James is free to throw more scoring basketball shots than most other people precisely because of these sacrifices

nice Blake quote.

Edited by redhen

There are TONS of people who don't have 9-to-5 jobs, dress unusually and live outside the mainstream and there aren't herds of doctors calling them crazy... not in the medical sense anyway.

Correct. These people are called non-conformists, nothing wrong with that or sub-cultures, neither is it a mental disorder.

• Like 1

After many years of thinking and reading so called work of experts I have found my own truth.

I feel society and most mainstream religion sells you limited beliefs to hold you back.

Good for you and whatever rocks your boat! The only 'caveat' I would apply is 'no man is an Island'.

Edited by Star of the Sea
  • Like 1

If you walk around the store in a big pointy hat with gold stars on it, people may call you crazy, but that's not a diagnosis. lol

What battle of wits are you talking about? To me it sounds like you expect people to all go, "Oh yes, you're nuts!" and then you will flex your opinionated mental muscles and counter them with some "you're a slave to society!" hoopla.

Sure, there are plenty of limiting beliefs in our society. Most people just accept them. I don't call that crazy either.

But would it be crazy for someone with a dependent family?

I think too many people (not singling out you) equate freedom with hedonism or licentiousness. Freedom can have many denotations and connotations. One aspect that rings true to me is that freedom necessarily entails sacrifice and hard work. Lebron James is free to throw more scoring basketball shots than most other people precisely because of these sacrifices

nice Blake quote.

I think you guys are misinterpreting what I am saying, so bear with me....

There is nothing wrong with having a 9 to 5 office job, but to me, that would drive me crazy...There are all different types of jobs out there. Why stick to just one way of making money? Be different. Do something your interested in.....my husband is a great example of this. He's done everything, from owning his own business, to mechanic work, and now he works as a welder....it pays the bills, and he's not stuck in the same boring rut every day. I understand this is not for everyone, and that's okay, too. Whatever floats your boat.... :)

But, I do think, in the case of someone working a 9 to 5 office job, with 3 kids to support, is in a way, slavery. You don't have a choice. You have mouths to feed, a mortgage to pay, car payments, taxes....in a way, we are all slaves to something, our jobs, money, drugs, habits, religious views, or ideological thinking....

That's just my two cents though....

• Like 4

Picks up camera to take to Walmart. A long time ago I discovered I wasn't insane, I am a Pagan. That is my story and I am sticking to it. I don't wear ritual garb everywhere I go. It is too hot. But I get looks when I duck in the store for a bottle of wine, on the way to ritual. What I wear to ritual is special and if I wear it everywhere then it is not special. It is like putting on a uniform when you go to work, it gets you into the right frame of mind.

• Like 4

Wear what you like,do what you like (apart from criminal activities),say what you like (no swearing),and don't give a hoot what people say about you,as long as you don't break any laws.You may be called crazy but more likely eccentric.

Have you tried walking through a precinct talking to an imaginary friend, people wont look you in the eye,and shy away from you.You tend to become "invisible".

(They're coming to take me away haha)

• Like 3

I think, in some situations, even 'the truth' can be relative.

I agree to an extent.

I disagree with a lot of American culture- the standards, the norms, the ideals that we are encouraged to strive for. Like beauty, for example. I have been told that I am odd, or strange (rarely crazy) for associating strength with beauty, especially in females. But I think if a girl can pick me up, well that's just swell.

But I have to say that there are times where the limitations imposed upon us are a good thing. The outlawing of hate crimes, for instance. Of course, some of, or maybe even most of, the root causes of hate crimes come from organized religion or the way a society handled itself. Still, the point is that the members of a society work together to fix their collective flaws. Ideally.

That says nothing for the sorry state of the American media, though. I can't find it in myself to believe that enough people care that the interrupting cow cheated on the woman who is only famous because her father is a high profile lawyer enough for it to be news. It brings to mind some lyrics from a P!nk song; "The world believes it and I'm going crazy. I can not take any more."

However, the song goes on to say "I'm so glad that I'll never fit in, that will never be me." So, there's hope yet, I suppose. At the same time, it seems that young people have no interest in the messages of songs like these. What I hear blasting from cars that speed down the road in front of my house is songs with horribly sexist, borderline racist lyrics that encourage 'bad' behavior, like drinking excessively and being promiscuous.

However I saw through this at a young age.

I feel like a lot of people do, but their 'free spirit's are tramped down by their parents beliefs, friends feelings, the medias messages, etc. I made sacrifices of my own values to peer pressure. Shyt happens.

Well here is an example. A Shrink will say I am crazy.

But don't you think being "normal" Dress like, looking like, talking like,

and thinking like everyone else is crazy?

For example to express my freedom. I shall dress in a Wizard Robe and Hat..

everywhere I go.. YES this includes Walmart.

What would the experts say that I am nut?

But no I am actually much wiser than them.

Their fancy books and medications have no effect on me.

To hold oneself as better than could be some sort of complex or at the very least a bitter feeling toward that one person that got generalized over time. This is how racism and sexism get their foundations. It's a dangerous and slippery slope.

If you want to wear wizards clothes, that is your prerogative. As long as your naughty bits are covered and you follow the dresscode of the establishment you enter, more power to you.

I wear what is comfortable to me and comes in the colors I like(and I can afford). I will shop in both the men's and women's departments and rarely do I ever get heat for my choices... That is, now that I'm out of high school.

There are actually some folks who do require the medications to function normally. I believe (and have no facts to support this idea, so it is merely an opinion) that a lot of mental illnesses are overdiagnosed. But pharmaceutical companies have to make their money somehow.

I am truly free.. most people don't even have the mental freedom to Dress as they choose...

I think what society and religion offers is merely a suggestion and should be considered along with ones own beliefs, thoughts and opinions before making your own decisions. You have the ability to change your mind later on.

There is nothing wrong with having a 9 to 5 office job, but to me, that would drive me crazy...There are all different types of jobs out there. Why stick to just one way of making money?

I agree, but that's just my preference, not a rule.

"For to one man it is consistent with reason to hold a chamber pot for another, and to look to this only, that if he does not hold it, he will receive stripes, and he will not receive his food: but if he shall hold the pot, he will not suffer anything hard or disagreeable. But to another man not only does the holding of a chamber pot appear intolerable for himself, but intolerable also for him to allow another to do this office for him. If, then, you ask me whether you should hold the chamber pot or not, I shall say to you that the receiving of food is worth more than the not receiving of it, and the being scourged is a greater indignity than not being scourged; so that if you measure your interests by these things, go and hold the chamber pot. "But this," you say, "would not be worthy of me." Well, then, it is you who must introduce this consideration into the inquiry, not I; for it is you who know yourself, how much you are worth to yourself, and at what price you sell yourself; for men sell themselves at various prices. "

Epictetus

• Like 3

for it is you who know yourself, how much you are worth to yourself,

:tu:

as clear as day even in the murkiest corners of the world ....

~

• Like 2

I agree, but that's just my preference, not a rule.

"For to one man it is consistent with reason to hold a chamber pot for another, and to look to this only, that if he does not hold it, he will receive stripes, and he will not receive his food: but if he shall hold the pot, he will not suffer anything hard or disagreeable. But to another man not only does the holding of a chamber pot appear intolerable for himself, but intolerable also for him to allow another to do this office for him. If, then, you ask me whether you should hold the chamber pot or not, I shall say to you that the receiving of food is worth more than the not receiving of it, and the being scourged is a greater indignity than not being scourged; so that if you measure your interests by these things, go and hold the chamber pot. "But this," you say, "would not be worthy of me." Well, then, it is you who must introduce this consideration into the inquiry, not I; for it is you who know yourself, how much you are worth to yourself, and at what price you sell yourself; for men sell themselves at various prices. "

Epictetus

I see what your saying. I, for one, don't feel any job is really beneath me. Consider the Groom of the Stool, in Tudor England. A well-paid job, for wiping the King's rear! People made a lot of money on that! :)

• Like 3

there's an old China adage / saying ~

"not how you make wealth ... it is how you spend ... "

no surprise there are many famous bandits and outlaws still venerated till this day ... funny to us asians that Robert of Locksley is the only one we hear about in the West

`

• Like 3

I wonder if a "shrink" ever goes to a "shrink", or if they consider themselves to be normal above everyone else. :w00t:

I have to go to a "shrink" not because I'm "crazy", but because my health care provider will not prescribe anti-anxiety meds in the form of benzo's. Only anti-depressants. Their internal policy is such that only a psychiatrist can prescribe benzo's.

So, I went to one, and am now back on benzo's that work extremely well for me, and have never abused them. In fact, he is quite pleased with my dosage restraint.

I hate anti-depressants(for myself), and I've tried many types.

They do not work for me and I seem to suffer bad side-effects. Benzo's have been my life-saver, no side-effects(for me). And beer works too.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2

Must get a wizards hat.

• Like 3

Must get a wizards hat.

And I think they have them with LED lights. :w00t:

• Like 3

Believe it our not I have purple wizards hat with LED lights. On Samhain I wore it at drumming circle. I really don't remember that much about that night... But I remember the hat.

• Like 3

I just thought about what my shrink would have said about running around in wizards clothes. He would have said do what makes you happy. Then we would have had an interesting discussion about attention seeking behavior. I wish I could find that guy, I would really truly like to thank him for all his help.

• Like 1

I think shrinks are over rated, give me a few well placed leeches and Ill be fine. :yes:

• Like 1

I once heard... "It's everyone you don't know that's normal."

944668_502314839828997_1241124257_n.jpg

... bet you have tried to try this one before ... :yes:

`

• Like 2

And beer works too.

Just thought that was funny. There's an old joke, two psychiatrists walk past each other and they both say "Hello". As they walk away from each other, both are saying to themselves, "I wonder what he meant by that?"

I know if I saw a psychiatrist and told him/her my inner thoughts, after the first visit he'd sit there rubbing his hands together, thinking, "I can keep up the payments on my Mercedes with this one."

I think psychiatrists are vulnerable though. One had a patient who thought he was Napoleon. After several visits, they both were on the floor pouring over a map of Europe.

This is a true story: a friend of mine was released from a mental institution, and had his release papers framed, hanging on a wall. He'd point to it and say, "I can prove that I'm sane, can your?"

• Like 2