Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stonehenge festival 2013

shrooma

21,000 people had a terrific night at stonehenge on thur/fri as they celebrated the summer solstice.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/3476668

the weather was good, the police & security were low-key, and the atmosphere at what must be the spiritual home of the mushroom marketing board was rarely better.

the music was brilliant all night, and wandering around the site at 2am to take it all in was a joy in itself.

shame about the lack of sunrise, but it hardly mattered, and by 5am people were just too happy to be there to care.

definitely one of the best years ever, and with the announcement of a £27m restoration project, next year promises to be better still!

only 363 days to go.....

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 6

welcome back !!

great to hear you had fun ... while I on the other hand had to sit through something alike this at a karaoke bar ...

984200_512216698838811_769805159_n.jpg

Ayyy ay ay ayyyy ayyy ayyy .... my ears are still ringing ...

`

• Like 2

Thank you, love to see so many Earthling children. :)

• Like 2

unlucky 3i!!

there were lots of people there with big, expensive, tv-type cameras, so my guess is, yoochoob'll be full of quality video!

dunno what it'll sound like though, as stonehenge has some really weird acoustic properties, and the bass throbs like a broken tooth, but the recordings i've seen/heard really don't do it justice!!

but the musicians there this year were especially good (unless it was just especially good chemicals making them seem that way??), so hopefully they captured well!

:-)

• Like 2

DW, you HAVE to go one year to experience it for real!

I spoke to dozens of people who'd never been before and were completely blown away by it all.

'i can't believe all this is real' was a bit of a catchphrase this year, especially among the hundreds of spaniards who made the journey.

it really is the most amazing thing around 2am, when everyone's comestibles are kicking in, they're all going wild, and the atmosphere is through the roof!

there really is nothing on earth like it.....

• Like 1

DW, you HAVE to go one year to experience it for real!

I spoke to dozens of people who'd never been before and were completely blown away by it all.

'i can't believe all this is real' was a bit of a catchphrase this year, especially among the hundreds of spaniards who made the journey.

it really is the most amazing thing around 2am, when everyone's comestibles are kicking in, they're all going wild, and the atmosphere is through the roof!

there really is nothing on earth like it.....

Man that sounds so awesome! Were you guys allowed to be in the circle itself? Or was the festival only surrounding it?

we were right in the middle jesse, at our usual spot, sat against the R/H upright of the moonrise trilithon, which is the best seat in the house to watch the sunrise!

and the entertainment!

there should be some pretty good stuff on youtube by now, 'stonehenge summer solstice 2013' should do it!

• Like 1

21,000 people had a terrific night at stonehenge on thur/fri as they celebrated the summer solstice.

the weather was good, the police & security were low-key, and the atmosphere at what must be the spiritual home of the mushroom marketing board was rarely better.

the music was brilliant all night, and wandering around the site at 2am to take it all in was a joy in itself.

shame about the lack of sunrise, but it hardly mattered, and by 5am people were just too happy to be there to care.

definitely one of the best years ever, and with the announcement of a £27m restoration project, next year promises to be better still!

only 363 days to go.....

Freaking amazing!!! One of the only times people can go into the ring :) I love it!

• Like 1

honestly jesse, what you see on tv or youtube can't prepare you for the real thing!

the atmosphere, the sounds, the people, it's got to be experienced to be believed!

I was talking to a security guard, it was his first time there, and he was blown away! all he could say was 'no bands, no dj's, and have you HEARD it!!'

betcha he's there next year.

and I bet he won't be working either.....

;-)

• Like 1

We should take note of the phases of the moon and the position of the sun and the comings and goings of the planets more than we do, not because we think they have paranormal powers, but just because they are there and are part of our existence.

• Like 1

Youtube said:

Stonehenge Summer Solstice 2013 in the Circle at Sunrise with speaches and expressions of wow.

Indeed.

Never been there, not even on a Skool trip. I'm more of a fan of Glastonbury, I'm afraid.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh
  • Like 1

* Not the vast commercial enterprise known as the "Glasto Festo", I wish to emphasise; I mean the Tor, and the Hippy vibe.

• Like 2

I first went to glastonbury in '85 (and didn't come home for four years!), and last went in 2003, the year the big fence went up, and it was dreadful.

light up a joint and half the field moved away from you, the greenfields were completely empty, as all the young, rich, twentysomethings were only interested in the music stages, nothing else.

the spirit of glastonbury died with jean eavis i'm afraid, and if she could see what it's become she'd be turning in her grave!

michael eavis' big mistake was allowing emily eavis to run it, inviting radio one to take over and destroy the ethos of glastonbury in their attempts at being 'down with the kidz' to boost their ratings.

it's a mockery of what it was, a corporate entertainment venue, populated by people who wear ties to work and their 'glamping' offspring. there are no politics there anymore, no-one's interested in greenpeace or water aid, just how close they'll get to the camera's when

[insert sh!t band of the week name here] are playing.

when the sugababes played the main stage I nearly cried, but managed to vent my anger with a few, well targeted bottles, and a lengthy haranguing of michael eavis for his ill-advised choices.

now it's like every other festival- a money-making machine, nothing more.

there are very few festivals worth going to nowadays, and stonehenge is the only one run by us, for us, with only a burger van as a commercial enterprise.

the spirit of freedom is still strong there, like nowhere else, unfortunately.....

• Like 2

We should take note of the phases of the moon and the position of the sun and the comings and goings of the planets more than we do, not because we think they have paranormal powers, but just because they are there and are part of our existence.

that's why I celebrate the equinox's & the solstices frank, because they MEAN something, because they're the points at which the world changes, and they're worth celebrating!

at the winter solstice, the nights start getting shorter & the days longer (better than the birthday of a jewish carpenter!), until the vernal equinox, when the days become longer than the nights, up until the summer solstice, the last, long day, as they begin to get shorter, until the autumnal equinox, when the nights become longer than than the days, until you get to the winter solstice and the whole thing starts again!

those times are worth celebrating, it's how the world works, it's how nature works, and THAT matters more than the imagined goings on of a mythical creator.....

;-)

• Like 2

And today is a super full moon. I was on the roof last night having a little party for the purpose of trying to see it. Unfortunately, it rained.

• Like 1

it's been cloudy as hell here too frank, but i'll still be watching out for it tonight!

god, as they say, loves a trier!

And today is a super full moon. I was on the roof last night having a little party for the purpose of trying to see it. Unfortunately, it rained.

yes, I saw about that. That's probably why it's been windy the last few days.

Why should that have anything to do with it? Well, it's traditionally windty around the Equinoxes, isn't it, I expect the Mooon probably has something to do with it.

yes, I saw about that. That's probably why it's been windy the last few days.

Why should that have anything to do with it? Well, it's traditionally windty around the Equinoxes, isn't it, I expect the Mooon probably has something to do with it.

*whispers*

(this is solstice time Col. the equinox is three months away.....)

*whispers*

(this is solstice time Col. the equinox is three months away.....)

Yes, that's what i mean. It's often windy around the Equinox, isn't it, so it might be the same at the Solstice. It might be something to do with the Moon. That might be why it's windy today. That's my theory, completely unsubstantiated as it may be.

What's that you're going to say? The Equinox is nothing to do witht he mooon? Well, technically, perhaps, but it's all connected in one big astromological way, isn't it.

only 363 days to go.....

Welcome back!