Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gravity Wave Detector Set To Go

UM-Bot

Scientists report here that one of the greatest observatories ever constructed works as expected and is now ready to go for goal. The Ligo facility, built at a cost of nearly $300m, is trying to detect gravity waves, the ripples created in the fabric of space-time that occur every time a star explodes or black holes collide.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: BBC News

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• j6p

• Homer

• UM-Bot

• SpaceyKC

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!!!!!!!! It just gets better and better. I can't wait till they build a super collider that goes from the space station to earth. That would be a double or even a triple WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats a good article. I'm amazed at all the recent advances in the past few years.

j6p,

The plan to build the super collider from the space station to earth has been scrapped due to the possible adverse effects of quantum fluctuations caused by the close proximity of the project. The new plan is to build the super collider between the Kuiper Belts and the Oort Cloud. The construction of the project is near completion and is expected to be in place at the Kuiper Belts by the end of the year.

Edited by Homer

Oh, Homer, you're so smart

you don't even realize it! You talk about

these places like we hear of them everyday! laugh.gif

Spacey, You are right, Homer thinks everyone is as informed as he is. I asked a friend of mine, Cliff Claven, to explain this to me so that I could understand. This is Cliffs explanation in laymen terms that we all can understand: The Kuiper Belts - these are thick straps made of a composite material. They are composed of 97% Kuperferritebichroneumsilica. This belt is made into a mobius strip.

Oort Cloud - This is a cloud chamber that when particles of an atom enter they leave a vapor trail of little tiny bubbles.

Now as Cliff puts it, "you get an atom or two and you start them traveling in one direction on this Kuiper belt. Then you get another Kuiper Belt and start a few atoms traveling in the opposite direction. When the atoms reach peak velocity you bring these two belts together and encase the junction in an Oort cloud chamber the atoms smash together and the reaction is recorded in the chamber. The idea behind it is that a mobius strip has only one surface and the distance the atom travels can be infinite but confined to a manageable area. blink.gif

j6p,

The Kuiper Belt is a disk-shaped region past the orbit of Neptune roughly 30 to 100 AU from the Sun containing many small icy bodies. It is now considered to be the source of the short-period comets.

The Oort cloud is an immense spherical cloud surrounding the planetary system and extending approximately 3 light years, about 30 trillion kilometers from the Sun. This vast distance is considered the edge of the Sun's orb of physical, gravitational, or dynamical influence.

In other words, I was messing with your head because there isn't a planned super collider going from the space station to earth, and there never will be.

Yes, we're all familiar with the space elevator, and there was a thread discussing that, but I don't have time to link it.

I wonder what they'll come up with next. Maybe they will build an ion cannon that can shhot into space. The question is what will they be shooting at. wink.gif