Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Visual Art

Grandpa Greenman

What pulls you into a painting or sculpture. Do you feel the emotion of what is trying be said or is it the skill of the rendering that draws you in? Is there a need to have an object or figure or can you feel it with abstraction?

What is your diffinition of art?

Art is the raw psychology of the mind, the visual thought. Where do you think it comes from?

Edited by Darkwind
  • Like 1

Can't define art, maybe it's in the eye of the beholder? Op art is crazy because the canvas appears to be full of motion. I love Velasquez, he seems to be able to convey emotion & character in his work. Saw some Henri Moore macquettes that I wanted to take home & put on my nightstand so they would be the first thing I saw in the morning, I can't tell you why I was so taken with them. Temple art in Bali moved me far more than European religious art, more visceral maybe? I'm in love with dance, music, I think any kind of art that reveals something of its creator that mirrors something of myself. Revelation, maybe?

• Like 2

Art is the raw psychology of the mind, the visual thought. Where do you think it comes from?

Hi DW, I can’t say I am an expert on art although I know what I like, it would be more than likely be something to do with Nature. I couldnt say exactly why I would like a particular piece, it either touches me or it doesn't. I was listening to the BBC ‘discovery’ radio program about some of the new scientific findings to do with the human heart. In it there were some quotes about the Heart. One was by Mark Shagal,

“If I create from the heart nearly everything works, if I create from the head almost nothing.”

If you are interested in the program you could try to listen or download from BBC world service

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/discovery/all Take care.

• Like 1

the very first step to distance one from art is to attempt to define or redefine art .... there are many various forms today when there was only one in the beginning ...

today there is functional or practical art .. not good or bad but effective only in its place, within its functionality....

other than that ... art is reduced to life and life is elevated to art ... it does not matter how or why ... or what ...

the source of it all seeks the questions it has always provided answers for ... provide the questions and the answer awaits ...

knock and ye shall be answered ?

seek and ye shall find ?

the questions begins the seeing ...

~peace

`

• Like 1

I'm no expert on art. I just go by how I feel when I see something I like, mostly paintings, and photographs can be considered a form of art too. Scenes of nature are my personal favourites.....anything to do with the Natural World I like best.

I enjoy visual art because it takes me away from the mundane world I live in into some higher spiritual realm of human endeavor. All great art has an element of the spiritual as well as telling a story. I think. My mother liked "pretty pictures", but the great artists are able to infuse much more into their art than just depicting a pleasant scene to look at.

We must remember, in Western art at least, the great artists have their own personalities, and oftentimes have complex motives for what they create. Michelangelo, for instance, sculpted his Moses with his head turned away from the church alter, as Michelangelo disagreed with some of the Catholic Church dogma. Monet painted a lot of haystacks because they were selling and were profitable.

There's a great BBC series on Youtube, "The Power of Art".

Michelangelo, my hero, It is it not even his great skill, but the stuff he got past the Church at that time was unbelievable. They really p****d him off. Always pay your artist.

I'm just curious in what people take from art. I have gotten back into doing watercolor from making jewelry. My stuff doesn't match the sofa and it is to make people think. I am just trying to figure out what makes people stop and go mmmm... There is a whole world of psychology in a Van Gogh or a Hoffman.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.gericondesigns.com/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/hoffman3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.gericondesigns.com/weblog/?p%3D2096&h=429&w=516&sz=44&tbnid=cJ98OipXa6ZMVM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=108&zoom=1&usg=__-vLS8but1VhXzbW1C0Mkqzk-48k=&docid=6sg0Z88N7Sn9iM&sa=X&ei=BYbIUY6TIYn68QTZnIGoBg&sqi=2&ved=0CEQQ9QEwAg&dur=5019

• Like 1

no u want to manipulate others minds into an idea that is nt true, by abusing the ignorance of art sense or perspective

art has nothing to do with self expressions or therapy, when it is proven that artists are almost all sick heads, they dont even got a self but they have a sense of all positive existence ends

art is bc existence is true, so objective is absolutely present positive thing

so any shape could b brought out as being positive superior thing

that is why art is mostly meaning the beauty of what is obviously beyond being positive, so definitely superior while there object to see

that is how since god the evil art exist through satan by putin wat is up down

but basically art confirm the truth being infinite superiority really existing

Been painting with "oils" for 15, yrs or thereabouts and I love it. My interests are thhhe "Classic Works" from the 14th, 15th,16th, Centuries. So one thinks they are good at apinting, pass along a bok on "Classical Art', not just the artists but about how colors were created, mixed, etc. It will get ones "ego" back where it might need to be for a while. Als there are other subjects that appeal to me, as topics depicted from a certain "time period" on the canvas, regardless who painted it, if I like it, I like it, if not, it has no interest, regardless of what name is in the lower right /left ccorner.

• Like 1

:P I got to go get couple of my painting on a jump drive, they are too big for my printer and then I'll post them. I am studying the Mabinogion and the paintings are of moments in the stories when things turn from sorrow to hope. Some people write a book of shadows. I draw mine for the most part. Yes, you're right I am an evil man. You have no clue just how evil I am.
  • Like 1

Been painting with "oils" for 15, yrs or thereabouts and I love it. My interests are thhhe "Classic Works" from the 14th, 15th,16th, Centuries. So one thinks they are good at apinting, pass along a bok on "Classical Art', not just the artists but about how colors were created, mixed, etc. It will get ones "ego" back where it might need to be for a while. Als there are other subjects that appeal to me, as topics depicted from a certain "time period" on the canvas, regardless who painted it, if I like it, I like it, if not, it has no interest, regardless of what name is in the lower right /left ccorner.

You know who I really like from the 15th century is El Greco. When you see his stuff in person, it looks 3D. It looks like a 3D movie, no stupid glasses needed. It doesn't come through in photos. If you get the chance to see his stuff in person do it.

I know several artist who I have some their pieces, I think they are a good investment, because their stuff is great and might be worth something someday. If it isn't then I have something I enjoy having.

This is one I really like. He is a musician but I like his glass and computer drawings.

http://www.shawnbowenarts.com/documents/images_1.html

Support your local artist.

To me, Art is life.

Its a way to portrait what you consider to be life, your feelings, your views, your perception on all.

Hence why when others view your art, they can make assumptions on what the artist was feeling or trying to portrait, however they add their perception into their interpretation.

Art = Expressed Perception of our existence.

• Like 1

who cares how much evil will u r when evil cant b alone and when all wills are gonna b judged down regarding the down they did to positive rights

n callin urself artist dont make u one, on the contrary it confirms how u invent urself so u r not or enjoyin limitin arts to ur work, confirm on the contrary that arts has never anything to do with all existence so not only urs

arts is to truth that u take advantage of by dreamin how easy u can pretend that it is what u feel so of u

true artists are the first ones to testify that thy never care about what they do, it is just a relation with everything that seem superior magical way of bringin all together out, never about anyone

while perception of own existence is reality through objective realisations so the opposite of arts, the present which is all to limited time and nothing to form or reference

Edited by absols

:passifier:
  • Like 2

Colors, shapes, subject, and scenery are what is most enjoyed and noticed in paintings for me.

Landscape, the feminine, and abstract all draw me in.

When it comes to sculpture modern abstract, clear lines, and color blocking are nice to look it.

It all is about feeling for me. It either hits me right away or not but of course there is also this:

The last TED Radio Hour discussed how a drawing is presented to others, they are asked what they think about it, some would be like, "mhmm, OK, not much here".

Then they are told it was drawn by a girl right before she died of cancer. Slowly for many their expressions change, some even cry, and it becomes beautiful. So context has much to do with art than anything else too.

• Like 1

My friend is a great artist, Musican and artist. I juist asked him what he thinks.

He told me what he thought art was and I love it.

"You cannot define art. Art is a word, its the meaning of that word, and the assoication of that word to your work that. A true artist doesnt do what he does to be considered an artist. A true artist doesnt do what he does for anything. A true artist does what he does because he knows. He knows that art comes from creation itself. He knows he didnt create this or that. He knows he has re-created what once was created before, only he created it anew. From his view, his angles, his sence of self, redefined with sound, with sight, with feel. Artist don't really create, They recycle, just like the circle of life recycles our souls."

Very long reply, however I find it to be a beautiful take on art.

• Like 2

My friend is a great artist, Musican and artist. I juist asked him what he thinks.

He told me what he thought art was and I love it.

"You cannot define art. Art is a word, its the meaning of that word, and the assoication of that word to your work that. A true artist doesnt do what he does to be considered an artist. A true artist doesnt do what he does for anything. A true artist does what he does because he knows. He knows that art comes from creation itself. He knows he didnt create this or that. He knows he has re-created what once was created before, only he created it anew. From his view, his angles, his sence of self, redefined with sound, with sight, with feel. Artist don't really create, They recycle, just like the circle of life recycles our souls."

Very long reply, however I find it to be a beautiful take on art.

yes unfortunately artists are mostly sensitive to creations knowledge, the way to burry rights violations by creating of that matter a fallacy that sounds positively living

wat i meant with art is smthg else, true positive objective ends reasons, is truth superiority, absolutes constancies ways

that is why to me literally as soon as i see any lie immediately i see ugliness and inferiority

so ur sense of art is about takin advantage from true existence weaknesses, since truth cant support relative things that cant too support themselves for long, so the way to abuse those weak existence in truth and turn it positive in lies

Edited by absols