Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man in coma after eating 413 biscuits

Saru

Food writer Kevin Shalin ended up in hospital after attempting to beat a restaurant record.

A food writer trying to beat a restaurant's customer record of scoffing hundreds of butter-rich cakes failed - and slipped into a coma.

Update: This article turned out to be a hoax: http://www.theglobea...rticle12769890/

• Like 1

Darwin Award.

I have no sympathy for morons like this.

Idiot

I wouldn't have thought it was possible to eat 413 biscuits in one sitting.

• Like 1

"Yesterday hospital officials said they have drained approximately two gallons of butter already and expect him to make a full recovery once the rest is clear."

Whaaa...?

*Note to Red Lobster: Prepare for law suit*

• Like 1

Those biscuits look very unhealthy IMO...I wouldn't even eat one let alone hundreds.

Edited by Lilly
typo

My husband is one for eating biscuits ( of the sweet kind )..His hand is forever in the cookie jar..I should show him this article, maybe he will stop those sneaky midnight snacking trips he makes... !!!

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I wouldn't have thought it was possible to eat 413 biscuits in one sitting.

He shoulda stuck with the digestives.

Remember this? "Police forces spend £3m on tea and biscuits"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1206446/A-new-expenses-storm-brewing-Police-forces-spend-3m-tea-biscuits.html

Edited by Eldorado

He shoulda stuck with the digestives.

Remember this? "Police forces spend £3m on tea and biscuits"

http://www.dailymail...a-biscuits.html

And another £3 million on subway lol

• Like 1

In the USA the buttery unsweetened ones are called biscuits, the sweet ones are called cookies. Eating hundreds of either variety is not recommended. What was this guy thinking?

• Like 1

He may have had Homer Simpson syndrome...Aaaahhhhhhh butterrrrr bickies !!

The only biscuits I like are rich tea..One with a cup of tea is magic..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I love those biscuits but I only eat one or two when I go to Red Lobster. They are very filling. I couldn't imagine eating hundreds of them at one sitting. :unsure2:

I had my first bad experience of overeating the other day. I hadn't eaten much for a few days beforehand, so one night I decided to splurge and make a large meal. I'm not sure if anyone has ever made a porcupine meatloaf, slow cooked in gravy before(homemade gravy), but I recommend trying it.

I ate until stuffed and then a few hours later got tired and went to sleep. I made the mistake of falling asleep on my stomach and woke up in the middle of the night with intense stomach pains, I'm not sure if sleeping in that position clogged my digestive track or I just ate too much on a shrunken belly, but I felt that blueberry girl from Willy Wonka.

• Like 1

Same thing happened to me once eating curry...

I overdone it, fell asleep and slipped into a Korma ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 5

Darwin Award.

I have no sympathy for morons like this.

Those biscuits look very unhealthy IMO...I wouldn't even eat one let alone hundreds.

I agree the guy was a moron for doing that.

Of course the biscuits aren't healthy. That's what makes them taste so good. I usually stop after two when I eat at a Red Lobster, which is rarely.

Does the Full Article not exist for anyone else?

And seeing as I can't check at the mo', because I can't reach the article; are they talking about American or English biscuits?

Does the Full Article not exist for anyone else?

And seeing as I can't check at the mo', because I can't reach the article; are they talking about American or English biscuits?

It was a satire piece made up about American biscuits.

In england (and no doubt elsewhere), we have the cream cracker eating 'competition', where you ask someone to eat min of 3 crackers in a minute, but as many as possible if they can. It usually cannot be done as they are very dry. Not much chance of collapsing when you cant eat more than 3/4!!

Its on wiki too, bizarrely!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltine_cracker_challenge

Um, I'm pretty sure this is a fake. Keven posted the Rock City Times article (a satire piece) on his own FB page on Saturday- the day after the purported event. Looks like other agencies picked it up and ran with it.

http://www.rockcityt...bster-biscuits/

The Mirror (link in OP) no longer works. Think you could be right because they have removed it.

Not very smart, all those eating competitions are extremely dangerous. The shock to the system from Gorging all that food is probably enough to kill you alone.

• Like 1

Yes it appears that this article was in fact a hoax:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/food-writer-eats-413-biscuits-falls-into-butter-coma/article12769890/

Even Sharin himself helped to circulate it, guess he didn't eat 413 biscuits after all. :)

• Like 3

413, unlucky for some, outright lies for others... :td:

• Like 1