Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dubious social studies coming to an end

redhen

Fiscal restraint and unpopularity have caused the demise of many "social studies" academic programs.

"Thirty years ago, postmodern literary critical theory was booming, as scholars saw everything from the Bible to the TV Guide as endlessly interpretable “texts.” Their influence showed in university investment, publishing output and grant applications. Now, however, the field is frequently mocked for its over-hyped ideas, and its advance guard has retreated into the tenured redoubts of the Ivory Tower’s English or education departments."

"“On a much longer arc, think of all the courses that were rooted in Marxist theory, whether openly or not. You’d be hard pressed to find any of them today, or if they are there, they’ve radically changed their curriculum,” he said."

All I can say is; Right on!

One commentator posted a valid question; "But where would our lecturers on Eastern european erotic puppetry and indigenous people's urinary rites come from?" - Mahou Shoujo

Edited by redhen

Fiscal restraint and unpopularity have caused the demise of many "social studies" academic programs.

"Thirty years ago, postmodern literary critical theory was booming, as scholars saw everything from the Bible to the TV Guide as endlessly interpretable “texts.” Their influence showed in university investment, publishing output and grant applications. Now, however, the field is frequently mocked for its over-hyped ideas, and its advance guard has retreated into the tenured redoubts of the Ivory Tower’s English or education departments."

"“On a much longer arc, think of all the courses that were rooted in Marxist theory, whether openly or not. You’d be hard pressed to find any of them today, or if they are there, they’ve radically changed their curriculum,” he said."

All I can say is; Right on!

One commentator posted a valid question; "But where would our lecturers on Eastern european erotic puppetry and indigenous people's urinary rites come from?" - Mahou Shoujo

Good riddance. How are subjects or degrees in "social justice" suppose to prepare you for the real world and a job?

Good riddance. How are subjects or degrees in "social justice" suppose to prepare you for the real world and a job?

From C.P. Snow's essay, The Two Cultures;

“A good many times I have been present at gatherings of people who, by the standards of the traditional culture, are thought highly educated and who have with considerable gusto been expressing their incredulity of scientists. Once or twice I have been provoked and have asked the company how many of them could describe the Second Law of Thermodynamics. The response was cold: it was also negative. Yet I was asking something which is the scientific equivalent of: Have you read a work of Shakespeare's?

I now believe that if I had asked an even simpler question -- such as, What do you mean by mass, or acceleration, which is the scientific equivalent of saying, Can you read? -- not more than one in ten of the highly educated would have felt that I was speaking the same language. So the great edifice of modern physics goes up, and the majority of the cleverest people in the western world have about as much insight into it as their neolithic ancestors would have had.”

• Like 1

From C.P. Snow's essay, The Two Cultures;

“A good many times I have been present at gatherings of people who, by the standards of the traditional culture, are thought highly educated and who have with considerable gusto been expressing their incredulity of scientists. Once or twice I have been provoked and have asked the company how many of them could describe the Second Law of Thermodynamics. The response was cold: it was also negative. Yet I was asking something which is the scientific equivalent of: Have you read a work of Shakespeare's?

I now believe that if I had asked an even simpler question -- such as, What do you mean by mass, or acceleration, which is the scientific equivalent of saying, Can you read? -- not more than one in ten of the highly educated would have felt that I was speaking the same language. So the great edifice of modern physics goes up, and the majority of the cleverest people in the western world have about as much insight into it as their neolithic ancestors would have had.”

:lol: That's funny...

Just because someone has gone to college, does not make them intelligent, sadly. I went to college, so not mocking it or putting it down, but I have seen some of the biggest idiots come out of higher learning...sure, their book smart, but don't have any common sense... :no:

I hate to see social studies stopped . I always liked it school . I think it's good for kids to learn a little about other societies and cultures.

Before they are all destroyed or absorbed into mediocrity .

:lol: That's funny...

Just because someone has gone to college, does not make them intelligent, sadly. I went to college, so not mocking it or putting it down, but I have seen some of the biggest idiots come out of higher learning...sure, their book smart, but don't have any common sense... :no:

you know I thought this same way "book smart no common sense" but now I think it goes a lot deeper. we Christians have a saying "so heavenly minded as to be no earthly good" and this is how I view our current higher education system. the college graduates have degrees in specific areas but have never learned how to apply it in a general sense.

• Like 2