Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Updated] Dog 'Grieves' By Burying Dead Puppy

Still Waters

Heart wrenching footage of a dog burying a dead puppy has emerged.

Posted on YouTube on 23 June, it features the hound stumbling across the pup and gently using its nose to nudge dirt over its lifeless body.

The act is bound to reignite the debate as to whether canines are capable of feeling grief or loss.

http://www.huffingto...l?utm_hp_ref=uk

Aww....bless :(

• Like 4

Heart wrenching footage of a dog burying a dead puppy has emerged.

Posted on YouTube on 23 June, it features the hound stumbling across the pup and gently using its nose to nudge dirt over its lifeless body.

The act is bound to reignite the debate as to whether canines are capable of feeling grief or loss.

http://www.huffingto...l?utm_hp_ref=uk

Aww....bless :(

Of course they do! When my cat lost one of her kittens (my father in law accidentally ran it over, and he was very upset, bless his heart) we buried it, but for a while she was grieving, pretty bad. She's a natural mother though. She's taken in another bunch of stray kittens....again....

I've grown up in the country, around animals, and I think they feel pain and loss.

• Like 2

Whenever my dog or cat lost a baby poor thing showed great sorrow. When my horse was down in the field near death my other horse whinnied for her and was obviously upset. He whinnied for her for days.

• Like 2

As much as I think animal have feeling too, there are a number of reasons for the dogs behavior. I have seen them eat dead pups. They cover dead things to eat later, waste not want not. A neighbor's dog buried all her pups alive. I ask my Dad who knew a lot about dogs and he said they left the male dog in the pen and she was hiding them. I think mammals and birds, have feelings like we do, but they express them in different ways. This is touching but it might not be what we think it is.

• Like 1

I think dogs are smarter than we think. I have had a Staffy for 12 years now and she constantly suprises me, not only verbal comands, but face and head movements, and even eye movements. We don't give them enough credit. Does anyone remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF870OIRUII

We might be judging it's behaviour by human standards. It could just as easily be storing some meat for future consumption. It's nicer to think of it as a canine undertaker.

• Like 3

Although i don't agree, i can't prove a negative.

Edit : Hit a colon instead of an apostrophe

Edited by Odds

We might be judging it's behaviour by human standards. It could just as easily be storing some meat for future consumption. It's nicer to think of it as a canine undertaker.

I have experience with stray dogs and puppies, and I've seen some things that really upset me.

There was a litter of seven pups, I found one of the pups dead one morning, I was sad, so I took the dead pup and placed it else where, well away from the mother or the pups.

The next day, I saw the other pups eating the dead pup. Someone, I think probably the mother dog brought the dead pup back to feed it's living ones when I wasn't noticing. The other pups seemed quite happy to be tearing into one of it's own... and as soon as I went there, a little shocked and upset, of course, the pups embraced me like they always do, like nothing happened.

I'm not saying that's the case with the link the OP, I'm just putting it out there.

Animals don't save each other? Maybe a subscription to Nat Geo will help. ;)

Edited by Yamato

I think the dog on the highway is a diffent kettle of fish from the "burying "one.That is probably instinctive,but the highway dog was probably pulling the other one to safety.