Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Grand Canyon Crossed By Tightrope Walker

seeder

Some people have absolutely no fear of heights. I really envy them!

Edited by Technocrat
  • Like 1

He is truly the best in the world.

Some people have absolutely no fear of heights. I really envy them!

Im not really scared of heights, but I am scared of falling from a height!

My personal phobia is, Im afraid of widths :yes:

Nice to see some old school 'death defying' feats still going on. David Blaine should take note.

Everything David Blaine does is an illusion. That tightrope walk was for real.

It would be interesting to see a video of how they got the rope/wire across. By helicopter I suppose, but how was it secured and then tightened?

Everything David Blaine does is an illusion. That tightrope walk was for real.

I realise that, in fact that is exactly my point.

During his career Blaine has moved from 'magic' illusions to 'feats of stamina' or 'daredevil' illusions, thinking himself to be some kind of modern day Houdini. He has become more and more boring along the way.

His 'stamina' illusions pale in comparison to this stunt even though they are said to be life threatening... Sorry if it was not a great comparison but I am sure most caught my drift. ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 2

It would be interesting to see a video of how they got the rope/wire across. By helicopter I suppose, but how was it secured and then tightened?

Right. Unless they shot the cable across via cannon(possible but very unlikely), there is no way other than a helicopter.

Securing is the tricky part. Don't know about this one, but the ones I've seen before have a seperate 3-point end-connection(total of six)

First a geologist determines whether and at what distance from a cliff edge, that serious support forms are drilled into the ground. Likely hardened steel and placed at an opposing angle to the tension. The 2-inch cable itself must have weighed at least that of an SUV, or several SUV's, so the ground support was likely very deep. Then it's done 2 more times at each end for redundant safety.

Like this: \---\---\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------/---/---/

With the "stakes" penetrating the ground many feet, likely 6-8' or even more, which I can not depict above.

Tensioning is actually the simpler part, as a 6-10 ton hydraulic cable winch can do the job quite nicely.

Again, I don't know in this particular case.

In any event, tension can only be done to a degree. There will still be a downward parabolic curve, however slight, and I'm sure qualified engineers made certain the tension was not too high so as not to cause stress fracturing in the multi-wire 2-inch cable.

I also noticed what appears to be 3 vibration dampening weights, perhaps 6-ft long, attached to and hanging rigidly underneath the cable span.

Anyway, enough of my speel. Again, I do not know what was done in this case.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2

I would love to see a vid on the actual construction, as they may have used a totally different technique. I'm sure that a vid was taken.

Anyone here know if it's on Youtube?(the construction)

• Like 1

Holy Jesus' ghost the savior and king of kings, how has this thread gone unnoticed to me for so many days?

• Like 1

This was amazing. And stupid. If you're going to do this at least use a harness. But despite how omg this is, the cable was.2 inches thick. This isn't like a circus trick where ballerinas dance on a string. Two inches is wider than my foot, and I don't have a small foot. But that doesn't take away from the spectacle, I'm just trying to put it in context - I wouldn't want to walk 400 metres just putting one foot in front of the other.

buddy must of had some tight butt cheaks that whole time, id step 2 inches on that thing and go all amellia airheart to the bottom

• Like 2

This was amazing. And stupid. If you're going to do this at least use a harness. But despite how omg this is, the cable was.2 inches thick. This isn't like a circus trick where ballerinas dance on a string. Two inches is wider than my foot, and I don't have a small foot. But that doesn't take away from the spectacle, I'm just trying to put it in context - I wouldn't want to walk 400 metres just putting one foot in front of the other.

Two inches is not wider than your foot unless you're an infant or a footless amputee. Plus this isn't a hundred foot stretch an arena or a circus tent. That's a multithousand pound cable that needed tensioned like a bridge cable and needed to be as thick as it was. A harness also kind of defeats the purpose and the spectacle of a death defying stunt. Not to mention the wind factor that not even Jesus could stop for him no matter how many times he asked. The weight of the cable and the balancers every 75' were entirely necessary to combat cross winds. Stupid and amazing it was though. This guy makes a living scaring the crap out of his family and I'll bet a million dollars this guy will die on the job sooner or later. These guys all do.

• Like 2

There is nothing boring about this....but I think this is a tad crazy.

• Like 1

I'll bet a million dollars this guy will die on the job sooner or later.

Just like his father before him...

• Like 1

You're right. I forgot they talked about that. This guy did say he is walking from the Empire State Building to something else which is no less deadly than walking over the Grand Canyon or walking a mere 100' high.

You're right. I forgot they talked about that. This guy did say he is walking from the Empire State Building to something else which is no less deadly than walking over the Grand Canyon or walking a mere 100' high.

There is a clip of his father ill-fated walk on posted in this thread on an earlier page. Crazy that people put their lives on the line for stunts like this but we do seem to lap it up.

There is a clip of his father ill-fated walk on posted in this thread on an earlier page. Crazy that people put their lives on the line for stunts like this but we do seem to lap it up.

Hey I say go for it. I ain't gonna do it but I'll watch if you want to do it.

I used to want to skydive but never did get around to it. I wasn't gung ho about it but I did want to. Anyways, I fell off of a roof about five years ago and after that I pretty much lost any dare devil that may have lied within me. It's cool if you were to do it but if you get hurt or die I've come to the mindset that you know you really didn't have to do that.

Hey I say go for it. I ain't gonna do it but I'll watch if you want to do it.

I used to want to skydive but never did get around to it. I wasn't gung ho about it but I did want to. Anyways, I fell off of a roof about five years ago and after that I pretty much lost any dare devil that may have lied within me. It's cool if you were to do it but if you get hurt or die I've come to the mindset that you know you really didn't have to do that.

Age is a great leveller, I think we all become more afraid of injury as we get older. Its just experience teaching us how to stay safe. I experienced this revisiting the skate-park of my youth recently.

Don't discard the skydive yet though, a tandem dive requires no skill or training, just the ability to close your eyes, prey and jump. ;)

Age is a great leveller, I think we all become more afraid of injury as we get older. Its just experience teaching us how to stay safe. I experienced this revisiting the skate-park of my youth recently.

Don't discard the skydive yet though, a tandem dive requires no skill or training, just the ability to close your eyes, prey and jump. ;)

Oh I know all I have to do is let the expert handle it but still there's always a chance of something going wrong and like I said, I don't have to do it. And you are right about age too. That's a definite factor. The older I get the less I care to try the craziest new roller coaster or thrill ride. I used to eat that up. The last time I went to Kennywood a few years back, Pittsburgh's famous amusement park, I couldn't wait to hit all my old favorites as it had been some years since my last visit. Well I rode them and the thrill was gone. I still like rollercoasters but it's the rides that try and make you nauseous that don't do it for me anymore. I get enough thrills at work.

• Like 1

Oh I know all I have to do is let the expert handle it but still there's always a chance of something going wrong and like I said, I don't have to do it. And you are right about age too. That's a definite factor. The older I get the less I care to try the craziest new roller coaster or thrill ride. I used to eat that up. The last time I went to Kennywood a few years back, Pittsburgh's famous amusement park, I couldn't wait to hit all my old favorites as it had been some years since my last visit. Well I rode them and the thrill was gone. I still like rollercoasters but it's the rides that try and make you nauseous that don't do it for me anymore. I get enough thrills at work.

Lol, I know the white knuckle ride feeling. For me its all dependant on who I am at a theme park with, I do need to be pushed into them a lot more than in the past.

• Like 2