Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Buddha

Grandpa Greenman

Sure, you can strip out the religious and metaphysical aspects of Buddhism to make it more palatable in the West, but that's like "Christians" who strip away Jesus's teachings on the eternal fires of hell.

If all you are after is Vipassana meditation and mindfulness based stress reduction, you're just as well off taking MBSR or CBT programs.

It is a neutral approach, it won't be for everyone.

It is a neutral approach, it won't be for everyone.

I wouldn't call it neutral, I would call it an ideological reformulation of Buddhism for the West. This may be just what the doctor ordered for some people, but I think it's important that they realize it for what it is; no going for refuge, no rebirth, no beliefs at all.

I wouldn't call it neutral, I would call it an ideological reformulation of Buddhism for the West. This may be just what the doctor ordered for some people, but I think it's important that they realize it for what it is; no going for refuge, no rebirth, no beliefs at all.

As I said neutral, I think from what I know of Darkwind (if he finds this sparks his interest, I have no preference in the matter.) He will glean from it what works for him or not. Personally, I would look at many perspectives, this is just one and not the only one (to be fair to you, too.) IMO,The beauty of Buddhism is one does not need to ascribe to religious anything to find value/or not in its teachings. The same can be said for Christianity, strip away the dogma and you have the same ideas said in different ways. Do no harm basically. Just my two cents though.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2