Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Synchronicity

DeWitz

Of late I have engaged in a new review of the phenomenon of synchronicity. In re-reading Fibonacci, da Vinci, Maria the Copt, St. John of the Cross, Carl Jung and Fesmire, I am convinced that there is an objective reality to synchronicity, but that's as far as I've gotten. My own experiences with this phenomenon seem attributable to mere coincidence. In fact, my awareness of so-called synchronous events increases in proportion to the time I spend studying it. I'm aware of another thread regarding synchronicity, but it focuses on anecdotal accounts. I'm interested in what UM members think about this subject in the abstract. Thanks.

• Like 3

In my neck of the woods we call it magic. It is a hobby of mine. I use to focus on an object in my brothers house that I had given him. Then I would tell him to call me and he would call and say I don't know why I am call you. I really don't recall it not working until he gave the object back. I started thinking I shouldn't do that to my brother, anyway. He thinks my magic is hog wash and I am going to hell. I think that would be for the best, heaven would be hell in that case.

Edited by Darkwind
  • Like 1

Interesting SZ. I have heard of this phenomona before, but have to yet to study it. Time to hit the books...

In my neck of the woods we call it magic. It is a hobby of mine. I use to focus on an object in my brothers house that I had given him. Then I would tell him to call me and he would call and say I don't know why I am call you. I really don't recall it not working until he gave the object back. I started thinking I shouldn't do that to my brother, anyway. He thinks my magic is hog wash and I am going to hell. I think that would be for the best, heaven would be hell in that case.

Can you describe the connection between "magic" (black capes, rabbits out of the hat; or perhaps something more primal or sophisticated) and synchronicity (seemingly unrelated objects, situations, events, insights occurring in close proximity temporally or spatially)? I'm not clear on how these are related. Thanks.

Observational Selection Bias

This is that effect of suddenly noticing things we didn't notice that much before — but we wrongly assume that the frequency has increased. A perfect example is what happens after we buy a new car and we inexplicably start to see the same car virtually everywhere. A similar effect happens to pregnant women who suddenly notice a lot of other pregnant women around them. Or it could be a unique number or song. It's not that these things are appearing more frequently, it's that we've (for whatever reason) selected the item in our mind, and in turn, are noticing it more often. Trouble is, most people don't recognize this as a selectional bias, and actually believe these items or events are happening with increased frequency — which can be a very disconcerting feeling. It's also a cognitive bias that contributes to the feeling that the appearance of certain things or events couldn't possibly be a coincidence.

From my point of view. synchronicity is something Im still looking into - I find it interesting, however also hard to concieve.

Edited by The Id3al Experience
  • Like 2

Of late I have engaged in a new review of the phenomenon of synchronicity. In re-reading Fibonacci, da Vinci, Maria the Copt, St. John of the Cross, Carl Jung and Fesmire, I am convinced that there is an objective reality to synchronicity, but that's as far as I've gotten. My own experiences with this phenomenon seem attributable to mere coincidence. In fact, my awareness of so-called synchronous events increases in proportion to the time I spend studying it. I'm aware of another thread regarding synchronicity, but it focuses on anecdotal accounts. I'm interested in what UM members think about this subject in the abstract. Thanks.

It's a complicated topic, isn't it? The best I've been able to make of it is to consider that the universe is divided up into 3 planes, the mental, the physical, and the spirit. While the first two are fairly self-explanatory, when I say the spirit, I don't mean the place where ghosts hang out, but what Jung referred to as the Unus Mundus - concept of an underlying unified reality that everything emerges from and returns to, which would include the physical and mental planes, where they are not divided into such there, non-duality, no division in mind and matter but the source of each of these. So when synchronicity occurs, the 2 events that seem to be related some way, one physical and one mental, are actually manifestations of the same thing from the same source, but in our conscious world of duality would appear separate events. Why does it just show up sometimes? I really don't understand that, maybe at our subconscious level we are able to access that and we have little control over it.

Edited by ChloeB
  • Like 2

It's a complicated topic, isn't it? The best I've been able to make of it is to consider that the universe is divided up into 3 planes, the mental, the physical, and the spirit. While the first two are fairly self-explanatory, when I say the spirit, I don't mean the place where ghosts hang out, but what Jung referred to as the Unus Mundus - concept of an underlying unified reality that everything emerges from and returns to, which would include the physical and mental planes, where they are not divided into such there, non-duality, no division in mind and matter but the source of each of these. So when synchronicity occurs, the 2 events that seem to be related some way, one physical and one mental, are actually manifestations of the same thing from the same source, but in our conscious world of duality would appear separate events. Why does it just show up sometimes? I really don't understand that, maybe at our subconscious level we are able to access that and we have little control over it.

I like this Idea. Coming from my buddhist perceptive, Id agree that there is an existence were everything comes and returns, however I beleive it to all be the same thing, not different planes or what have you. I beleive the illiusion of self creates the reality we are in, the common collective consiousness creates the overall experience while you have your own also. Might not be a matter of different planes, more of different perceptions.

nice Chloe, got me thinking.

• Like 1

The Fibonacci series and the Golden ratio are found to be ubiquitous in nature and are expressed in art and architecture as the ideal forms. This is probably not what you want, since you said you didn't want anecdotes. But to me it seems one of the best pieces of evidence for synchronicity.

Why they exist, how they fit in the grand scheme of things, I have no idea. Not even a guess, sorry. But yet, it's beautiful.

• Like 2

In fact, my awareness of so-called synchronous events increases in proportion to the time I spend studying it.

Bingo.. But I would go further and say that synconocity are lessons we either choose to follow and learn/grow from, or ignore and put down to coincidence.

what you pay attention to you become conscious of, therefore if you put it synconocity down to coincidence you end up loosing out on awakening or widening your consciousness.

• Like 5

Can you describe the connection between "magic" (black capes, rabbits out of the hat; or perhaps something more primal or sophisticated) and synchronicity (seemingly unrelated objects, situations, events, insights occurring in close proximity temporally or spatially)? I'm not clear on how these are related. Thanks.

I am sitting in a chair thinking (unrelated event,) about my brother calling and he calls. (event) No black hats,rabbits, black cape, that is stage magic. What I am doing is witchcraft sometimes called magic. I can put a "k" on the end if you like, Magick. You wanted an example of synchronicity. I got more, but they are more complicated. Jung explanation for synchronicity is really a good explanation for how I think witchcraft works.

• Like 1

I have lived through syncronicities sets of events that in my mind cannot possibly be a cognitive bias. It's even a major part of my life. Simply congestive revelations the pregnancy example are far the simple to consider these other strings of events related to this particular cognitive bias.

My take on it.

Reality is intertwined. Events linked together in unseen threads that tug and pull on other parts of reality. Conciousness slides along these threads, but every once in a while or the particularly aware, one becomes concious of these connectionts.

I have also view them as bread crumbs. Ill see something in a dream or a vision. It will manifest latter, then i will follow it. I ll turn a corner or open a book.and behold another synchronicity will send my down another path. At the end of the tunnel there is always something important. The last major one sent a young aspergers guy to my classes, and in a round about way discovered his sisters diabetes. Syncronicities have taught me so much. I have had symcronistic evens surrounding movies about... Syncronicities events.

• Like 2

Synchronicity is a trip but its real stuff. I could go on and on for years and sure it would bore you, but when its happening in your own world its quite exciting and curious.

This is how I found out about Carl Jung and this was about a year ago. Me and my friend were at work talking and I told her how I wanted to start reading psychology books, I had already purchased a couple by that time. We left out of the back entrance like we normally do but she forgot something which led us back into the building and out the front instead. We were walking down the street and right there. On the sidewalk was a box full of books about psychology. And this was after a long string of other synchronicistic happenings. I got memoirs / reflections, psychology and alchemy , and letters between him and frued, which on amazon priced at $105.00.. I started reading the memoirs and I was amazed. I dont like everything about Jung but I did find his books and him through synchronicity and find him very interesting indeed. This is not my only synchronistic event. Many times they are very intense and last for months, weeks or days and involve different people and even animals. Even had some synchronicity with people on this site. Most recently its been happenning in dreams and interpretation of dreams shared with different people.

So: synchronicity speaks of happenings in the spiritual realm affecting the physical realm as evidence of 'as earth as it is in heaven' or 'as above it is below etc' it is confusing just as dteams are and seem like puzzle pieces but they are not pieces we need to but together but rather they put themselves together over time and we see or feel or get some kind of poetic/parable type understanding about the spiritual realms.. this is how I see it. Sometimes it seems secretive and sometimes it is blatently clear just like dreams.

In the past synchronistic events seem to surround me getting with any kind of boyfriend or something to do with church. Synchronicity happens a LOT with scripture verses and or spiritual messages. Im sure this is the case with other faiths...

We will see how it all unfolds.

We should be writing this stuff down though guys. I know I have not shared a lot of things, especially on this site because of all the A-holes (no offence anyone). But I think we should be writing it down so we can remember. It really is quite amazing. So much I havent recorded I have to get better at that....

Peace

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 2

what you pay attention to you become conscious of, therefore if you put it synconocity down to coincidence you end up loosing out on awakening or widening your consciousness.

What you just said is important

• Like 1

What you just said is important

Thanks..

I like this kind of feedback, Here's some more that might elighten you or someone else reading.

From another thread:

Is interesting that you saw "The selling of soul" as a warning, because so did I.. In the context in the dream though, I felt the warning came from within, as a response to part of the topic. The Irony is that just after reading your response I found a thread that has the selling of soul in it's topic, and which deals with & sums up pretty much the same thing, though from a darker perspective... and strait after that, a strong resonance in a picture that Spiritwriter drew that said "No, it's not a coincidence.." so, there was a pretty strong & blatant Synchronicity there, which I chased..

I quess that this prooves that sometimes some of our actions and interations are guided by spirit, whether we realise it or not. Yesterdays Synchronicity event wasn't the first you've delivered to me.. Thanks.. :D

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 1

i like that "breadcrumbs"-analogy. I made the same experience, the more you read and learn about the phenomenon of synchronicity, the more you experience it.

I am sitting in a chair thinking (unrelated event,) about my brother calling and he calls. (event) No black hats,rabbits, black cape, that is stage magic. What I am doing is witchcraft sometimes called magic. I can put a "k" on the end if you like, Magick. You wanted an example of synchronicity. I got more, but they are more complicated. Jung explanation for synchronicity is really a good explanation for how I think witchcraft works.

Thanks, that explains the event. I wasn't being sarcastic, I only wondered if there is intentionality on your part, or causation, in 'making' your brother call. Or does it simply happen? That's why I asked about what kind of magic. For me, spells, incantations--perhaps thoughts--equal intentionality. Or is it an unintentional event, more akin to coincidence or happenstance? To put it another way, is thinking about your brother a causal factor in his call? Or is it an acausal (Jung) companion event?

I like this Idea. Coming from my buddhist perceptive, Id agree that there is an existence were everything comes and returns, however I beleive it to all be the same thing, not different planes or what have you. I beleive the illiusion of self creates the reality we are in, the common collective consiousness creates the overall experience while you have your own also. Might not be a matter of different planes, more of different perceptions.

nice Chloe, got me thinking.

Well thank you! Such a hard thing to put into words, but I could be down with that, different perceptions and it being illusion. Some believe that unified field as the only virtal force in the universe. Just being the expression of it, mental and physical is the 2 planes or perspectives we mention, is the illusion, but being a knower of it is the 3rd I mention, is the spirit or you could say your soul, union of opposites, your whole self. A union of opposites is not possible in our conscious dualistic world so a synchronistic even has no choice but to manifest as what would appear as opposites, a splitting of that unified field into mind and matter, a thought coming to fruition in a physical event, but the making the connection is the attempt at reunion, beyond the illusion, behind the veil. That's my take, though I find this a very topic.

Edited by ChloeB

I have lived through syncronicities sets of events that in my mind cannot possibly be a cognitive bias. It's even a major part of my life. Simply congestive revelations the pregnancy example are far the simple to consider these other strings of events related to this particular cognitive bias.

My take on it.

Reality is intertwined. Events linked together in unseen threads that tug and pull on other parts of reality. Conciousness slides along these threads, but every once in a while or the particularly aware, one becomes concious of these connectionts.

I have also view them as bread crumbs. Ill see something in a dream or a vision. It will manifest latter, then i will follow it. I ll turn a corner or open a book.and behold another synchronicity will send my down another path. At the end of the tunnel there is always something important. The last major one sent a young aspergers guy to my classes, and in a round about way discovered his sisters diabetes. Syncronicities have taught me so much. I have had symcronistic evens surrounding movies about... Syncronicities events.

My take on it.

What do you think initiates it, like what is leading you these directions? I notice it in relation to particular people it seems to happen.

My take on it.

Crap!!! I butchered this post while half asleep on this stupid phone. yikes!!

What do you think initiates it, like what is leading you these directions? I notice it in relation to particular people it seems to happen.

Yes I have noticed this to. There are certain people that when I am around reality starts to go a little haywire.

I don't know really I just have a couple of theories. I have always sort of felt it was the other world communicating with us letting us know it's there, and guiding us... Angels/spirits/God.... Jungusm cokkective unconcious.These are the instances where I follow them then A revelation occurres or Somone is helped.

Other times it's almost like tremors before an earth quake.a distribance in the force if you will. I have seen mountains syncronicities before something big happens.

Still other times, some of the most incredible ones seem to preceed some new growth phase.

The great spirit pulling those strings I guess. I just follow them and trust my inner voice on what to do.

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 3

Thanks, that explains the event. I wasn't being sarcastic, I only wondered if there is intentionality on your part, or causation, in 'making' your brother call. Or does it simply happen? That's why I asked about what kind of magic. For me, spells, incantations--perhaps thoughts--equal intentionality. Or is it an unintentional event, more akin to coincidence or happenstance? To put it another way, is thinking about your brother a causal factor in his call? Or is it an acausal (Jung) companion event?

It is intentional. Otherwise what is the point in doing it. The first time I did it, he was at work and I needed him to call, but I didn't want to bother him at work, it was kind of a job where he couldn't get calls. Within 5 minutes he called and said he did know why he was calling, but he felt he needed to. I was just starting out with spell work, so I kept doing it and it kept working. I started doing other things with a coven. I became interested in why it was working, so being my Father's child I started looking for a science explanation. I have an idea but it might as be just be belief, cause it not something you can prove with the science we have at this time. I think it has something to do with life and how the Universe and life is connected. I read something a woman physicist wrote about it, I'll see if I can find it.

edit to add, can't find it, boy, there is a lot of BS on the internet. Sigh...

Edited by Darkwind
  • Like 1