Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wolf urine and lion roars to keep deer away

Still Waters

Wolf urine and lion roars are being used by transport bosses in northern Japan to tackle the growing problem of collisions caused by deer.

The number of accidents caused by the animal has more than doubled in Hokkaido - the northernmost of Japan's four main islands - in the past ten years.

As a result, transport officials have taken drastic action. As well as spraying wolf urine near roads and railways they will also be broadcasting the roar of lions to try to keep the deer away.

http://www.dailymail...ng-highway.html

Interesting, a friend of mine has problems with deers getting into her garden and eating the leaves and berries off her plants. I will tell her about this trick.

• Like 1

Interesting, a friend of mine has problems with deers getting into her garden and eating the leaves and berries off her plants. I will tell her about this trick.

For the homeowner I say yeah, it's a good way to keep the pests away. For a government I wonder why they don't just allow hunting, culling of the over population? If the deer are feeding in such built up areas then apparently they are outgrowing their habitat. Maybe it's a cultural thing. I wonder if the anti hunting crowd will seize on this method to annoy hunters?

collisions caused by deer.

Caused by deer??

Hmmmm, maybe the increase of drivers and cars on the road may be the real CAUSE over the past ten years.

Maybe I should try that. The deer around my house don't even run when I pull up in my truck and get out to walk into the house. They play havoc on my garden. I'm hoping this year I have finally got the fence tall enough they can't jump and the wire close enough together they can't squeeze through.

A lot of people here hit deer. They will run right out in front of you and sometimes you miss the first one across the highway but the second or third one gets you.

For the homeowner I say yeah, it's a good way to keep the pests away. For a government I wonder why they don't just allow hunting, culling of the over population? If the deer are feeding in such built up areas then apparently they are outgrowing their habitat. Maybe it's a cultural thing. I wonder if the anti hunting crowd will seize on this method to annoy hunters?

They do hunt here, even extended the season but people aren't as interested in it as they use to be.

Maybe I should try that. The deer around my house don't even run when I pull up in my truck and get out to walk into the house.

Wow, really, so they just stand there? Will they run off if you walk up to them? When I was in yellowstone at a campground, some of them would take handouts of food from you. They'd also casually walk in between buildings and sniff around as well. I guess they're used to being around people.

Edited by WoIverine

Sounds like a lion, smells like a wolf? It's a Lolf! Run away!

Interesting, I know others who use fox urine to keep pig dogs out of their cars

Sounds like a lion, smells like a wolf? It's a Lolf! Run away!

Interesting, I know others who use fox urine to keep pig dogs out of their cars

Whats a pig dog?

;)

very good. :tu: