Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Supreme Court voids key part of Voting Rights

Wickian

WASHINGTON (AP) — A deeply divided Supreme Court on Tuesday halted enforcement of the federal government's most potent tool to stop voting discrimination over the past half century, saying it does not reflect racial progress.

In a 5-4 ruling, the court declared unconstitutional a provision of the landmark Voting Rights Act that determines which states and localities must get Washington's approval for proposed election changes.

link

This is important since it voids federals blocks on many States that passed voter ID and early voting laws that the government felt were discriminatory.

At least I'm pretty sure that's what it means.

edit: Forgot to post the link.

Edited by Wickian

Change government to democrat and you have it correct. The democrats don't want voter ids because the majorty of illegal votes are cast for them. Besides, the dead don't need to be represented or do they?

• Like 1

Change government to democrat and you have it correct. The democrats don't want voter ids because the majorty of illegal votes are cast for them. Besides, the dead don't need to be represented or do they?

Well if you want to suggest that the Democrats are the only ones who'll try and manipulate this law...

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/06/26/2216721/thanks-to-the-supreme-court-wendy-davis-will-probably-lose-her-senate-seat/

Suggests that both sides will use the laws to their own end, just like all other laws.

• Like 4

Maybe you need to look up the word most. I didn't say all. But, most illegals vote democrat, they want no id laws. Most of the military votes republican, they were sent the wrong ballets in afganistan. The democrats also blocked giving troops an extra two days to vote in ohio.

• Like 2

Maybe you need to look up the word most. I didn't say all. But, most illegals vote democrat, they want no id laws. Most of the military votes republican, they were sent the wrong ballets in afganistan. The democrats also blocked giving troops an extra two days to vote in ohio.

Illegal Aliens don't have the right to vote. If the immigration bill gets passed and they become legal citizens then they will have the right to vote, but will no longer be Illegal Aliens.

• Like 1

Illegal Aliens don't have the right to vote. If the immigration bill gets passed and they become legal citizens then they will have the right to vote, but will no longer be Illegal Aliens.

In. Ten years.

I seem to recall Bsh-era Repulicans pulling similat stunts and people saying the soldiers vote Democrat on the ehole.

I seem to recall Bsh-era Repulicans pulling similat stunts and people saying the soldiers vote Democrat on the ehole.

I don´t know who pulls more stunts, but I find the argument that asking for a picture ID is somehow "discriminatory" and "suppresses votes" both stupid and insulting.

If casting a vote is supposed to be a serious thing, you should dam well ask for a picture ID to prove that you are a real, living person (and not a multiple one at that.)

• Like 3

I don´t know who pulls more stunts, but I find the argument that asking for a picture ID is somehow "discriminatory" and "suppresses votes" both stupid and insulting.

If casting a vote is supposed to be a serious thing, you should dam well ask for a picture ID to prove that you are a real, living person (and not a multiple one at that.)

Exactly. As an example of what is imo boundless hypocrisy, you have to show an ID to borrow a book from most (if not all?) libraries. Or at least show an ID to get the library card, I mean. You have to show an ID to buy booze if you're young. I remember one case where a WWII veteran was understandably upset because he had to show ID for the beer he was buying! He was probably in his 80's? But show ID to vote? No, we can't have that... :(

• Like 1

we can be asked for photo ID here in Oz when we vote. Mostly (as it's compulsory to vote here, if everyone was carded it's take two weeks to vote not one Saturday) the invigilators just ask for your name and address - if you know where you live and how to spell your name that's usually a sign that you are who you say you are.