Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost rattles doorknob?!?!?

Rodrey

New member here, previously a dis-believer.....

About 2 am last night, we were awakened by the bedroom door rattling. My wife thought it was a mouse that she had seen a few times, scratching at the door. I turned on the flashlight & went to look, and the noise stopped as soon as I got near the door. I opened the door, & saw nothing. I dismissed it as being air currents, and went back to sleep. The same thing happened about an hour later. Strangely, none of the dogs barked either time. This time the noise stopped as soon as I turned on the flashlight. I opened the door, & searched the house. The dogs were asleep, and everything looked normal. I checked the door, & shook it a bit to try to duplicate the noise we heard. It didn't sound right. The only way I could duplicate the sound was to rattle the door knob by twisting it back & forth. WTF???? There is no way that air, a mouse, or the dogs could do that. I don't believe in ghosts, but this was pretty creepy...... My wife said she has heard it before, last week. Time for Ghostbusters?

• Like 2

Strange, doorknobs do not usually turn themselves back and forth... If you're certain that the dogs did not hang around the door trying to enter your room than I am short of explanations in the context that you suggest.

Is this the only unexplained phenomenon occuring in your house or did you or your wife experience any kind of strange activity?

Edited by sam_comm

This is really the only time something has happened. When the kids were small, they swore the house was haunted. (noises and seeing things) I kind of blew them off. They are adults now & out of the house. It is just my wife & I in the house. Every now & then one of the dogs will stare up at a corner of the ceiling in the living room as if they see something. Different dogs, same corner. I never thought too much about it. About a week before my wife first heard the noises, we bought an old oak set of drawers that is in our bedroom, near the door. I'll try to pay more attention to it tonight. It didn't really creep me out until this morning when I started thinking about it. If it happens, I'll try to see if the doorknob is actually rotating back & forth. Maybe I should leave the door open?

You can try leaving the door open.. or if you happen to have a video camera try filming the knob to see if it moves.

• Like 7

That sounds creepy my mom told me her bathroom door nob rattled one day.. while her husband was in the room... they both thought the other person moved it. But no it was the ghost of Christmas past.

I'll agree with rashore, if you've got a camera try to spot it near the doorknob and see if you can catch anything during the night. An audio recorder near the door could be useful as well to try and hear what's really going on.

It seems that you house as some sort of history and now seeing that more than one people experienced unexplained phenomenon is very strange. For yourself and for others to see, gathering some kind of material eivdences of these phenomenon would confirm a paranormal activity.

Edited by sam_comm

I had the same thing happen. My house is old, and the porcelian doorknob rattled for like 5 whole seconds. About 2 minutes later something, tapped

me on my shoulder as if to say "Hi, just messing with you". I think I have an old thread somewhere on this.

That is rather strange. I'm convinced there must be some logical explanation though. Hope you capture something with the webcam.

• Like 1

Well, I got the webcam set-up last night. It records triggered by motion or sound. The hall is too dark at night to see anything though, but at least I can get an audio recording. I could leave the hall light on, but might that change things? No avtivity at all last night anyway. I still can't believe I am doing this, I would have told anybody else they are full of it.

I'm starting to second-guess myself. I really don't believe in this stuff, but I see no explanation. The dogs are in an enclosed area, and cannot roam the house at night. It was a persiatant rattling that stopped with me getting near or turning on the flashlight, that kind of rules out air currents. How the hell could a mouse shake the door in such a way as to rattle the doorknob?

I hope to find a logical explanation.

Set the webcam inside the bedroom.. Keep the door closed and have it focused on the door knob..If what you are saying is true then something is probably in your house.. They are know to stir up activity for a bit and then things might settle down allowing you to get comfortable again.. then they come back in full force.. It obviously wants your attention so it will return.. Keep us updated please

edit - another suggestion.. if you have a small crack under the door where the hallway light can shine through.. leave the hallway light on.. If you hear the noise again pay close attention to see if a shadow is blocking the light from the hallway.. Dogs are very sensitive to their presence.. you could also have one stay in the room with you.. If something is turning the knob.. the dog will bark and alert you...

Edited by lowester

That's the funny thing, 3 dogs are in the family room at night, one sleeps in our room. None of them seemed to notice or care, they all slept through it. The rattling was loud enough to wake us up. With the bedroom door closed, is sounded like somebody trying to get in as if the door was locked, which of course it was not.

Hooray that you're doing real investigation instead of just posting about it! I have three webcams in my house all ready to capture anything weird. Of course ghosts are scared of webcams so nothing ever happens in my house.

I wonder if some large insect could have gotten into the internals of the doorknob and latch. The interior brass doorknobs in my old house aren't solid. They're just thin metal with voids. In theory something could get into them and rattle around.

Do you live in the vicinity of train tracks? I do. It doesn't always happen but, occasionally, when a train passes, my doors rattle. I've even felt my bed vibrate. Again, it's one of those things you might notice only when all else is quiet/still.

My family had several events happen within about a 3 week period while a friendly spirit made herself known. One of these events was that me and the Mrs. Just said our "good night" and a few moments later we heard the bedroom doorknob twist a few times then the door opened as if someone had opened it.

It wasn't the click of an imporoperly closed latch, we both heard the knob twist. The door didn't simply swing on its own weight or by nonexistent air movement. The knob twisted and the door opened and braked its stop exactly as if someone was there.

We were certain it was one of our kids but looking, nobody was apparently there.

My family had several events happen within about a 3 week period while a friendly spirit made herself known. One of these events was that me and the Mrs. Just said our "good night" and a few moments later we heard the bedroom doorknob twist a few times then the door opened as if someone had opened it.

It wasn't the click of an imporoperly closed latch, we both heard the knob twist. The door didn't simply swing on its own weight or by nonexistent air movement. The knob twisted and the door opened and braked its stop exactly as if someone was there.

We were certain it was one of our kids but looking, nobody was apparently there.

That's pretty cool. I'd love something like that - something so obviously unusual and difficult to explain - happen to me. Unfortunately, the most I ever heard is a small creak from some furniture. :no:

No, we don't live near train tracks, or anything else that would shake the house. We slept all night last night, & heard nothing. The webcam triggered a couple of times, but there was nothing to be seen or heard on the recording. I do have both motion & sound set pretty sensetive.

Mystery solved.... Turns out it was a mouse. He was gnawing on the corner of the door, at the right frequency to make the doorknob rattle. I found tiny droppings and bits of wood on the floor, & teeth marks on the corner of the door. I feel like an idiot for jumping to a paranormal conclusion. Strange, I almost feel disappointed. The mystery was kind of exciting!

• Like 8

Ew, I'd almost rather have ghosts than mice, lol. Glad you kept a level head and figured out what it was though.

• Like 2

WOW it was a mouse the whole time???

I hope the door rattling at my house...

was not a mouse all those years ago...

I do like mice.. the cartoon mice on TV shows are lovely.

Mystery solved.... Turns out it was a mouse........I feel like an idiot for jumping to a paranormal conclusion.

I can only hope a valuable lesson has been learned here.

• Like 2

Rodrey: i give you the "debunker-award" for July! :D great thread to follow, nice to see that people manage to stay reasonable! GOOD JOB