Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What are your favorite ruin/ruins?

kannin

what is your favorite ruin/ruins? and why? ive always wanted to see peoples opinions on different ruins ill start off

Delfi- because of its rich mystic history

Detroit.

lol for its stunning culture?

• Like 3

I would have to say Tikal in Guatemala although Palenque in Chiapas would be a close second. Spent New Year´s Eve on top of a pyramid in 2000 with one of my best buds and his GF. When dawn broke it was almost surreal. :tu:

• Like 2

I would have to say Tikal in Guatemala although Palenque in Chiapas would be a close second. Spent New Year´s Eve on top of a pyramid in 2000 with one of my best buds and his GF. When dawn broke it was almost surreal. :tu:

amazing that sounds like it was alot of fun! troy is another one for me, given its legens and all

My favourite are the Tudor ruins dotted around England. There are many English Heritage sites packed with history from that period from Castles to Manor houses and they are really beautiful.

http://www.google.co...iw=1093&bih=495

Edited by Star of the Sea

what is your favorite ruin/ruins? and why? ive always wanted to see peoples opinions on different ruins ill start off

I loved Greece's (Isles too) sites and history! I was amazed at the distance traveled to receive an answer from the Oracle. It was a fir bit with wheels and a engine!

I loved Greece's (Isles too) sites and history! I was amazed at the distance traveled to receive an answer from the Oracle. It was a fir bit with wheels and a engine!

indeed thats why i fell inlove with it such a mysterious but important city she was, if only we could walk its streets in its prime the wonders wed behold

The only two I've actually visited were the Great Wall (BaDaLing) and the Coliseum. I'd choose the Coliseum as the more inspiring.

• Like 1

I must say it has to Olympus in Greece. I visited some 5 years ago and what an amazing place. It is made better because you are not roped off from the site and can actually see the ruins. Great place.

• Like 1

I must say it has to Olympus in Greece. I visited some 5 years ago and what an amazing place. It is made better because you are not roped off from the site and can actually see the ruins. Great place.

nice ive always wanted to go

Just back from Peru so I'll go with Machu Picchu for its remote location and Sacsayhuaman for the incredible stonework.

I would like to visit Machu Picchu. Its amazing that they built that city on top of a mountain plus they built several roads too it so it was quit the center of trade.

There are other place I would like to see like the Egyptian Pyramids or the great wall of China.

I would like to visit Machu Picchu. Its amazing that they built that city on top of a mountain plus they built several roads too it so it was quit the center of trade.

There are other place I would like to see like the Egyptian Pyramids or the great wall of China.

when i see it it kind of gives me a personal idea what olympus might look like(mythical one)

I've always wanted to see Masada.

Post a link

Visiting Angkor Wat was a blast. The entire complex is so huge and the buildings look so different to a German fella like me.

I also love the ruins of Tintagel in Cornwall, England. The entire scenery is beautiful. No wonder it has been attributed to the King Arthur Legend.

Edited by FLOMBIE

Ancient Ostia, far less tourists than Pompei and many places to explore, the Mithraeum in particular.

Skara Brae and the pre-historic ruins of Orkney and NE Scotland (Caithness) such as Camster Carns. Capaddocia (Turkey). Alhambra. Nemrut Dagi. Ruined Tibetan buddhist temples in the valleys around Xiahe (China). The good old pyramids of Egypt still rank high, especially when seen in moonlight from the back of a camel or an Arab horse. Too many to choose a favourite from, and I'm green with envy of those who have visited Angkor Wat, Macchu Picchu.........

nan madol for its pure beauty

Dun Aonghasa, on Inis Mor, off the Western Coast of Ireland... A Stone age fort built right up against the 600 foot drop off...

IMG_1184_zps778b118f.jpg

Outside of the wall...

IMG_1219.jpg

Inside the fort looking at the drop off...

IMG_1218.jpg

• Like 1

Dun Aonghasa, on Inis Mor, off the Western Coast of Ireland... A Stone age fort built right up against the 600 foot drop off...

IMG_1184_zps778b118f.jpg

Outside of the wall...

IMG_1219.jpg

Inside the fort looking at the drop off...

IMG_1218.jpg

holy wacky batman that is amazing, wouldnt want to be stone drunk walking around in that thing!

holy wacky batman that is amazing, wouldnt want to be stone drunk walking around in that thing!

Apparently part of the cliff and fort fell into the sea... I'm not sure if there ever was a 'back wall or not'... Except for safety - why would they need one?... And I was wrong - it's not 600 feet it's just over 300...

Edited by Taun

Apparently part of the cliff and fort fell into the sea... I'm not sure if there ever was a 'back wall or not'... Except for safety - why would they need one?... And I was wrong - it's not 600 feet it's just over 300...

lol still enough to make you sweat to your socks looking over the edge

• Like 1