Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Texas Abortion Bill Fails

Kowalski

Chaos reigned in the final minutes of the Texas Senate late Tuesday night as opponents of a strict abortion bill succeeded in killing the measure, using a sprawling Democrat-led filibuster, egged on by noisy "unruly mob" protests, to blunt last-ditch efforts by Republicans to save the legislation.

The drama centered largely around Democratic state Sen. Wendy Davis, who staged an hours-long, old-fashioned filibuster on the Senate floor against a bill to ban abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy.

Republicans initially succeeded in cutting her filibuster off, in part by objecting when another lawmaker helped her with a back brace. But protesters picked up where she left off, jeering at lawmakers as they rushed to meet a midnight deadline for the bill.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06/26/texas-lawmaker-filibusters-against-abortion-bill/?test=latestnews#ixzz2XMaBjZcc

This whole bill got me thinking....

​Most of you know, I'm not a big fan of abortion...I never have been. I do think under certain circumstances, it should be allowed, medical emergencies, incest, and rape....But, I also know, you can't make people be responsible, either. So, instead of trying to ban abortion, how about we legislate some common sense laws on it...

1) No abortions after 20 weeks, unless it's a medical emergency. I mean we as talking about a five month old baby here...

2) No using abortion as birth control....

​With all the birth control methods out there, we really shouldn't be having this conversation. Honestly, I don't want a woman, who is "suddenly" pregnant to die from a botched abortion because she can't afford a child. But I also don't want idiot women having multiple abortions or aborting a five month old baby, either....

Why can't their be some common ground here? Why does it have to be a all or nothing approach?

• Like 4

I think this shows what a joke much of the political process can be. It's an important decision, and both sides have valid arguments. That the decision hinged on whether someone could talk non stop for 10 hours shows how puerile politics can be.

That said, there does need to be common ground.

Whatever anyone's opinion on abortion, it will happen. Societies have to decide whether they accept this fact and legislate that it happens safely, or ignore it and compel women to return to back street butchers.

As I understand it, the effect of the Bill would have been the closure of nearly all abortion clinics in Texas. That seems to be the equivalent of banning it completely. If a service is not accessible then it might as well not be there.

• Like 2

I agree with you :tu: . Your compromise you posted is exactly how i feel. Why cant we just use common sense.

• Like 2

Whick is worse front yard butchers or back yard butchers.

A front yard butcher I give you the gentleman who was just found guilty of murder, for killing birthed babies.

Edited by danielost

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c...s#ixzz2XMaBjZcc

This whole bill got me thinking....

​Most of you know, I'm not a big fan of abortion...I never have been. I do think under certain circumstances, it should be allowed, medical emergencies, incest, and rape....But, I also know, you can't make people be responsible, either. So, instead of trying to ban abortion, how about we legislate some common sense laws on it...

1) No abortions after 20 weeks, unless it's a medical emergency. I mean we as talking about a five month old baby here...

2) No using abortion as birth control....

​With all the birth control methods out there, we really shouldn't be having this conversation. Honestly, I don't want a woman, who is "suddenly" pregnant to die from a botched abortion because she can't afford a child. But I also don't want idiot women having multiple abortions or aborting a five month old baby, either....

Why can't their be some common ground here? Why does it have to be a all or nothing approach?

I also wanted to add; This is a one gender only issue, so I think only one gender should be allowed to vote on this issue. I'm a male, and I don't think I should have the right to tell a woman or women what they can or can't do on an issue that is a woman only issue.

For the gentlemen that say, "Well that's my baby too" or the classic "If she can choose to get rid of it, I should be able to sign away rights to the child if I don't want it," life's not fair and balance. Men don't carry a mass that will become a person for 9 months, they don't have a menstrual cycle. What everyone seems to forget in the Western World is that pregnancy can be very dangerous to the mother and the unborn. Anyone pay attention about 6 months ago in Ireland?

• Like 3

I think this shows what a joke much of the political process can be. It's an important decision, and both sides have valid arguments. That the decision hinged on whether someone could talk non stop for 10 hours shows how puerile politics can be.

That said, there does need to be common ground.

Whatever anyone's opinion on abortion, it will happen. Societies have to decide whether they accept this fact and legislate that it happens safely, or ignore it and compel women to return to back street butchers.

As I understand it, the effect of the Bill would have been the closure of nearly all abortion clinics in Texas. That seems to be the equivalent of banning it completely. If a service is not accessible then it might as well not be there.

I agree. :tu:

While I agreed on the bill's "20 week ban" I didn't like those other restrictions, nor the fact in an emergency medical situation if the woman was over 20 weeks, she couldn't abort, even if the baby was dead! How cruel is that? And closing down all those clinics? What did they want women to do, die from back street alley abortions? :no:

Abortions are going to happen, no matter what. Why not have some regulations and laws, that most people can agree to? I think a 20 week ban, except in a medical emergency, is something most people could agree with.

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 4

I also wanted to add; This is a one gender only issue, so I think only one gender should be allowed to vote on this issue. I'm a male, and I don't think I should have the right to tell a woman or women what they can or can't do on an issue that is a woman only issue.

For the gentlemen that say, "Well that's my baby too" or the classic "If she can choose to get rid of it, I should be able to sign away rights to the child if I don't want it," life's not fair and balance. Men don't carry a mass that will become a person for 9 months, they don't have a menstrual cycle. What everyone seems to forget in the Western World is that pregnancy can be very dangerous to the mother and the unborn. Anyone pay attention about 6 months ago in Ireland?

Pro choicers kill it a parisite. The man should have something to say. That is husbands.

I agree on no abortions after 20 weeks unless it is to save the life of the mother. I also don't like the idea of people using abortion as a form of birth control. I don't want to see women to have to get a back alley abortion which often times killed the mother. So I don't want abortion made totally illegal but there has to be some limits.

EDIT: Actually I could go for 16 weeks, that's about 4 months.

Edited by Hilander
  • Like 1

Pro choicers kill it a parisite. The man should have something to say. That is husbands.

Not sure what you're saying, I think you meant "Pro choice people call it a parasite, the man should have something to say, which is the husband".

I disagree. I think it's easy for you to say that because you never in your life will be faced with the dangers of carrying a fetus. To each their own opinion though.

• Like 1

I agree. :tu:

While I agreed on the bill's "20 week ban" I didn't like those other restrictions, nor the fact in an emergency medical situation if the woman was over 20 weeks, she couldn't abort, even if the baby was dead! How cruel is that? And closing down all those clinics? What did they want women to do, die from back street alley abortions? :no:

Abortions are going to happen, no matter what. Why not have some regulations and laws, that most people can agree to? I think a 20 week ban, except in a medical emergency, is something most people could agree with.

That bill might of had a chance if it hadn't been for the other restrictions which I felt were too extreme.

I think we need to get rid of abortion on demand. That is whole sell murder. A real docter should be involved and maybe done in a hospital in case something goes wrong.

People are getting rich off of murder.

How come the two ladies seem to be more flexable than the men

Edited by danielost

I think we need to get rid of abortion on demand. That is whole sell murder. A real docter should be involved and maybe done in a hospital in case something goes wrong.

People are getting rich off of murder.

How come the two ladies seem to be more flexable than the men

I don't see it that way, there are some men that see it about the same way Kowalski and I do. Name me something that people do that takes expertise and a Phd that they don't get rich off of.

That bill might of had a chance if it hadn't been for the other restrictions which I felt were too extreme.

That's what makes me so mad! That bill could have put an end to late term abortions (except in emergency circumstances) and they put all this c**** added to it! :no:

It's almost like they wanted it to fail, and keep people divided...

I think we need to get rid of abortion on demand.

True.

There are women out there, that use abortion like birth control, and that has to stop. I think most people would agree with you on that.

I think, besides the rules I stated in the above OP, one thing that would drastically help reduce abortions, would be birth control sold by the pharmacist over the counter, like they do, certain cold or allergy meds... With those meds, you have to show your ID to a pharmacist, and you tell them what medicine you want, and they sell it to you. Maybe they could have a similar system for birth control? I don't know it's just a thought....

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 1

Well the problem is that the abortion lobby (taking a page from the gun lobby) believes that there is zero compromise in this area and that any restrictions placed on abortion are nothing more than backhanded attempts to ban the procedure.

• Like 2

I don't see it that way, there are some men that see it about the same way Kowalski and I do. Name me something that people do that takes expertise and a Phd that they don't get rich off of.

The gent. I mentioned above didn't have a medical license. He was also the father of abortion on demand. He helped to win roe vs wade.

True.

There are women out there, that use abortion like birth control, and that has to stop. I think most people would agree with you on that.

I think, besides the rules I stated in the above OP, one thing that would drastically help reduce abortions, would be birth control sold by the pharmacist over the counter, like they do, certain cold or allergy meds... With those meds, you have to show your ID to a pharmacist, and you tell them what medicine you want, and they sell it to you. Maybe they could have a similar system for birth control? I don't know it's just a thought....

Have you ever met one? Do you really think that there are women out there who take abortion that lightly? I hear that claim made a lot, and while it may be true, nobody has ever produced a shred of evidence to support it.

I'm mostly anti-abortion, except I'm too pragmatic to think that banning it is at all a good idea. If you're against abortion, use contraception and you'll probably never need one. If you're a man who is against abortion, how about focussing on your role in conception and take responsibility for your penis.

• Like 2

Well the problem is that the abortion lobby (taking a page from the gun lobby) believes that there is zero compromise in this area and that any restrictions placed on abortion are nothing more than backhanded attempts to ban the procedure.

One of the more intelligent responses I have read....

bec99

That's because a lot of bills that place restrictions on abortion are nothing more than backhanded attempts to ban the procedure. Like this one in Texas, it would have made it virtually impossible for anyone to get an abortion, no matter how far along they were. I have no problem with the 20 week limit, I would go lower then that even. If that was the only thing on the bill it would have passed with almost no opposition.

• Like 2

That's because a lot of bills that place restrictions on abortion are nothing more than backhanded attempts to ban the procedure. Like this one in Texas, it would have made it virtually impossible for anyone to get an abortion, no matter how far along they were. I have no problem with the 20 week limit, I would go lower then that even. If that was the only thing on the bill it would have passed with almost no opposition.

So you don't believe that the procedure should be done in a medical facility? From what I read the main point of contension in the legislation was to improve the medical facility requirements. Is $5,000 -$10,000 per facility really going to put every single clinic out of business? Maybe they'll have to raise their prices $50 per customer, so they can pay the upgrades off in less then a year??

I agree with banning abortion after 20 weeks unless the mother's life is in jeopardy or the baby has a serious defect like anencephaly (born without a brain) I don't think many women use abortion as birth control. If you only made abortion legal in cases of rape, there'd probably be women claiming they've been raped when they haven't or having back ally abortions. No birth control is 100 percent effective. There's always that slight chance it will fail. Some women can't take hormonal birth control because of medical conditions. I know someone who had a nonhormonal IUD(which is apparently quite pricey) and it failed. I know another woman who got pregnant using condoms. Most doctors will refuse to tie your tubes unless you already have children. Some women don't ever want children.

Sorry guys this vote doesn't count. The vote was three minutes late. They have to try again.

Have you ever met one? Do you really think that there are women out there who take abortion that lightly? I hear that claim made a lot, and while it may be true, nobody has ever produced a shred of evidence to support it.

Yes, I have met women like this, unfortunately...

I know of one instance, this one woman, who is, 24, and she's had 3 abortions since she was 16...And she is quite proud of it...

Honestly, I'm glad she hasn't had kids, since she's a crack-head, but abortion isn't the answer, she should just be sterilized.

She also sleeps with any guy that comes around her, too. :no: