Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did unicorns really exist?

LostSouls7

Narwhal...unicorn of the ocean.

Also in my top 7 favorite animals.

That is all.

Youtube wizardry! Lol.

Sometimes I remember that narwhals are real animals and it makes my day.

• Like 2

Real wizard! ...convinced the OP via youtube he's a real wizard! SHAZAAAAM!

Dolphins....Panda Bears of the Sea!

Your shazzam could never match my shizzah muahhaha

I don't suppose anyone has a proof or even strong evidence that unicorns don't exist and never have.

• Like 1

a unicorn tattoo? seriously?? ;)

Yeah, really.

• Like 1

Your shazzam could never match my shizzah muahhaha

it's SO on.......! ;)

Well, since no one offers evidence they don't really exist, we should conclude they do. That at least is the argument for the existence of a lot of other things bandied about, including God.

Sometimes I remember that narwhals are real animals and it makes my day.

you and me both.

i see a narwhal excursion in our future.

• Like 2

Guest Nathan DiYorio

Were they always described as "beautiful" or even horse-like? Or is that a modern interpretation?

This is a good question.

Of course they existed... here's why you never see them any more...

[media=]

[/media]

(how many times do you ever get a chance to work this song in to a conversation? :) )

• Like 1

you and me both.

i see a narwhal excursion in our future.

Oh no! You started the narwhal song playing in my head! I shall put a curse on you! If I knew any curses :blush:

Oh no! You started the narwhal song playing in my head! I shall put a curse on you! If I knew any curses :blush:

Well, you know, youtube has wizards! I bet you could get some proper curse techniques there!

• Like 1

Isn't there a species of gazelle or antelope in Asia that has one horn?

I swear I heard about something like that...

Edit: Nevermind, I was thinking of the Saola.

Edited by Skeptic Chicken

wait in european folklore a unicorn is more like a deer or goat... There are mutants of those that have one horn or antler as the case may be, so they technically do exist, not as a species but as a mutation.

In one sense, you technically could make a unicorn, but it'd require nails, a horn, and some very upset animal police. But I wouldn't go with that one.

Personally, I think they were just made up to spice up stories. Heck, if I thought I could make up a mythical this popular and enduring I'd put it into stories. :)

My own theory is that unicorns resulted from Greeks describing the Indian rhino to the folks back home as "a hippopotamus with a horn on its nose." (Greeks knew about hippos.) Since 'hippopotamus' is literally 'river horse' in greek, the description probably mutated from 'a river horse with a horn on its nose' to just 'a horse with...' as soon an someone who didn't know what a 'river horse' was heard it.

• Like 3

My own theory is that unicorns resulted from Greeks describing the Indian rhino to the folks back home as "a hippopotamus with a horn on its nose." (Greeks knew about hippos.) Since 'hippopotamus' is literally 'river horse' in greek, the description probably mutated from 'a river horse with a horn on its nose' to just 'a horse with...' as soon an someone who didn't know what a 'river horse' was heard it.

That is what I was curious about. And why I asked how has the description has evolved? The source material would help a lot to disregard our "fairy tale" beautiful horse with an attractive horn.

Edited by QuiteContrary

it's SO on.......! ;)

SHIZZAH!

• Like 1

so i must admit while i do find the idea of a unicorn possible, i tend to think its unlikely. as a horse with a horn or even horn like protrusion has not been noted in the fossil record. I must admit the fossil record is only a small percentage of the actual animals that existed. As there are many different species with "horns" why could one in the equestrian species existed.

It may be possible that a specie was lost thousands of years ago, a bred of wild horse with a kind of horn on it's head. Nothing of the kind as yet been discovered but who knows where they could have been and if they can now be retrieved. So, I guess that's a possibilty even if it's a myth in our days, I found more likely that a fair bred of horse now lost may have thread the Earth ages ago, then let's say the existence of mermaid for instance.

Edited by sam_comm

The norse traders from greenland started this myth, with norwhales and their ivory/horns, and the fact that most people didn't believe these horns could come from a sea creatures. And the myth (at least the northern european one) was born. Quiet simple. So yes, unicorns did/do exist. :)

"I saw this one real wizard on youtube..."

Wait... Please, tell me you're kidding?