Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

too predictable?

willowdreams

I am having a lot of trouble getting into movies/tv series.. it seems that every one of them is really just like all the others.

My daughter says it is my age, she is in her late 20's, but still can find things enjoyable.

The only movies I seem to be able to get into now, are movies like Hunger Games and such, and mostly because I have read the books and want to see how close they were. I love the Hobbit, and I adored Lord of the Rings Movies. I can even say I love Princess Bride and Willow, not to mention Space Balls.

But the new stuff coming out, not based off books and such, I have issues with. I used to love watching thrillers/horrors, but they all seem to be about 'gore' and 'sex'. When I was growing up, there was at times some gore and such, but it was more hinted at, and sudden like.. anyone here seen Psycho?

I still love some of my oldies movies, that even my children do not mind.. 7 brides for 7 brothers.. oklahoma.. et et.. and yes I love petes dragon.. and bedknobs and brooksticks as well as mary poppins! (hey... when I have grand kids, they will love me!!)

I absolutely hate the saw movies, and final destination.

Freddy Krugar movies, Jason movies, Michael Meyers.. those are what I call my bored silly and watching because it is 2 am and cannot go outside and not wanting to watch infomercials.

I now find myself watching nothing much on tv other then Morgan Freeman (through the wormhole), carl sagon cosmos.. documentaries by Brian Cox or Machio Kaku (hope I did not mispell here)

Yes, there are series I like, Big Bang Theory, Bones, Dr. Who (woohoo).. reruns of Eureka, and I do like Warehouse 13.. i did like Fringe, but something went wrong with fringe and I got turned off.

Is there any movies out there NOW that you guys can recommend, I also have netflix streaming plan as well.

From the info I gave, is there anything you guys suggest, from most any genre?

I am on layoff till second week of august, and other then going outside and doing poor pples fun stuff during late evening ( i work second shift, so used to being awake till 4 am).. i need something to do.. rest of family is in bed by 11. So all housework and noisy activity is done by then.. I have loads of books, rereading wheel of time series.. and for those days i want light reading, rereading books by Gail Carrington, Tamora Pierce (love her magic circle series and daine).. mercedes lackey, (really into her valdemar) as well as anne bishop (black jewels and other spinoffs she did on it).. so you can tell the style i like. But basically when I do not wish to read, I need movies!!!!!!!!!

Ideas.. suggestions.. help? Even if its another author/titles that seem close to those i mentioned that I may like? the carrington books i like is the parrosol protectorate series!

Thank you ahead of time for suggestions!

(ignore typos/misspellings, tablets suck for size, and the other itme i have is netbook.. sizewise it sucks as well)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• willowdreams

• FLOMBIE

• Arbenol

• Frank Merton

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You did have to mention "7 Brides For 7 Brothers", didn't you?

When my daughter was four she loved that movie and we had to watch it daily (sometimes twice). I thought I'd recovered from the trauma, but now I'm going to get get mugged by 'Bless Your Beautiful Hide' going through my head for the rest of the week.

Thanks a lot! :cry:

Although, I did like the house-building punch-up.

I think it is true that as we mature in some ways we get wiser, and one of these ways is resistance to advertising -- especially the stuff on TV. Since older folk aren't influenced by that stuff, the advertisers naturally want young audiences, and to an extent dumber more easily manipulated young audiences. Hence TV with an advertising business model has to be pretty damn dumb and juvenile.

Are you ok with subtitles? If yes, I could recommend you a couple of non US movies, mostly from Europe or Asia. The script writing is often a lot more creative, and the plot does not have to lead to a happy ending.

Edited by FLOMBIE

Are you ok with subtitles? If yes, I could recommend you a couple of non US movies, mostly from Europe or Asia. The script writing is often a lot more creative, and the plot does not have to lead to a happy ending.

subtitles do not bother me at all heh, blame my two adult kids, they watch anime in japanese with english subtitles. heh.

I am soo used to it that even when i watch english speaking shows, i put subtitles on.

subtitles do not bother me at all heh, blame my two adult kids, they watch anime in japanese with english subtitles. heh.

I am soo used to it that even when i watch english speaking shows, i put subtitles on.

Alright then! I will provide a (short) list when I get back home. :)