Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

2 sleep paralysis and 1 possible

I Am Not Resisting

I have had 3 "shadow people" experiences, 2 of which can be explained by sleep paralysis. Those 2 that I had of sleep paralysis, I felt immense terror as I could not move while they approached me after waking from a dream. The other though, my first "shadow person", was not the case and from what I have read makes me quite perplexed.

I am not a true believer in the supernatural (though there are parts of me that wouldn't mind seeing a ghost), so any explanation would be appreciated, even sleep paralysis.

Like I said, all of the accounts I have read of that were about sleep paralysis were of malevolent hallucinations, and I've had those 2. The first one though, I was in high school and my bedroom was downstairs along with my grandfather's bedroom (we moved in to take care of him after my grandmother passed away) and my parent's and brothers' room were upstairs. Anyways, I awoke to someone tapping me on my left side (as I usually sleep on my right side). As I woke and looked up, it was a completely dark figure in the shape on my mom at the foot of my bed, and it was moving like she had bent over the bed and was straightening up. I looked at her questionably and asked what she wanted but got no response so I fell back asleep. The next day I asked my mom if she was in my room and she told me no. I told her what happened and she insisted I was dreaming but I wasn't, I was wide awake. I know what it's like to have a vivid dream and think it's real until I wake up and realize it isn't. I have had sleep problems and nightmares for at least 17 years.

If anyone can give insight to my first situation, even and especially if it's sleep paralysis, please do.

I'm sorry it's so long, I've just been curious lately.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• I Am Not Resisting

• SpiritWriter

• Mindscanner

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Peoples experience vary. Ive had sleep paralysis that didnt envolve shadow people (that I recall) but have seen shadow people in my waking life. At the time that I saw them they seemed malevolent to me as well. Weither or not it is a hallucination (I say that its not). The sightings of shadow people are very commonly reported, if not the most commonly reported "supernatural" experience, at least that ive seen so far on this site.

Oh also that could have been a doppleganger in your dream/experience. I dont know exactly what they are or what they do but they often take the form of moms doing chores, im not trying to be funny I read at least four or five stories. If it is our subconscious mind that wouldn't be surprising seeing how most reports are made by children and many children have moms. Anyway yeah shadow people make big impressions on those whove experienced them. I think your gifted and blessed and thats the reason you've seen some.

Perhaps you saw the dream form of your mom or a shadow pretending to be her or combination of spirits which included you and your mom and the spirit realm.

I don't know if it helps but the lasts 2 times I had my "shadow people" experiences, and I truly believe they were sleep paralysis because I could not move (the first I could), they were terrifying. The first being a very tall, skinny and scary figure that stood at the corner of my room and slowly walked to me and stood there. The second being a small, childlike form, running around the bed in the same room and giggling (not in a very nice way but "I'm going to kill you" kind of way) to get to me.

What doesn't make sense to me is the entirely different room, different city, many years apart, but most importantly, the feeling of being content during my first one. I just turned back over and went back to sleep.

I used to suffer the sleeping paralysis quite a lot which I started in the early age. Now, I don't get it as much but once in the blue moon, beside this days it never last that long. I actually learned my own therapy in tackling it before it happens. I know it can be so frightening because when you scared, your heart beat rates would be increased, which would effect your breathing function. So the most important thing at this stage, you have to try focusing on your breathing technique, (inhale deeply and hold for few seconds then exhale, and try repeat this session until it finally stop) once it stopped try to call your name in your mind, then tell your self to move your fingers, but remain control your breathing slowly till you feel calm, from now you can tell yourself in your mind to get up, and sit up right and keep awake for a little and make sure you always have a bottle of water beside your bed at all times.

This scenario usually go through stages, that's why I am using my technic and it helps a lot in building resistant to it. In the past I had the worst part of the scenario where I could not breath, and totally paralyzed but always managed to get up though. I still never know how far could it go, if you just let your self go with it, I could imagine it can be so scary! possibly lead to death caused by breathing difficulty.