Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'I applied for 60 jobs but got nothing'

Commander CMG

• Nearly one student in ten was unemployed six months after graduating
  • Women graduates fare better than men in the job market, data suggest
  • But two-thirds of graduates still make it into 'professional' occupations

arrow3.gifView: Read more

From the article:

The number of new graduates taking menial jobs such as shelf stackers and rubbish collectors has almost doubled in six years, official figures reveal.

These are the jobs which the less educated would have taken, so if the companies are employing graduates in these positions, and the less educated earn more being on the dole, add this with the age of the computer which can do 100 peoples job (at least) in one hit, plus the fact that many immigrants are willing to work for jobs which should not be minimum wage based, but they will do it for that to get a place in this country, this could explain why this country is in a mess.

• Like 2

Rubbish collecting is not a bad job with decent wages though. Its people afraid to do it

• Like 3

Where have all the graduates gone

Work in McDonalds everyone

When will they ever learn

Rubbish collecting is not a bad job with decent wages though. Its people afraid to do it

Do you need a Maths degree ?

Where have all the graduates gone

Work in McDonalds everyone

Do you need a Maths degree ?

No, a job is a job.

Some University people don't want work hard, they just want to get paid high and do little

• Like 1

No, a job is a job.

Some University people don't want work hard, they just want to get paid high and do little

Most of the Students I know,try to work to gain extra cash to see them through Uni,its tough when you live away from home and your parents cannot afford to send money so you can have a reasonable standard of living,and not starve to death.These people are our Future,and should be treated accordingly.
  • Like 2

I recently finishes my duel course in Business and Business administration and can't get a job. I went to a group interview for a alcohol retailer because I have retail/hospitality experience and when I got there I was up against people with like 20+ years in management experience. So yes it sucks that overqualified people go for the smaller jobs. If I had 20+ years experience I would not be applying for a 20-25 hours a week casual job.

I mean I guess, maybe they don't want fulltime. But it still sucks, I know quite a few people that this has happened to as well. And it probably come's across as petty, but it's frustrating when we lose out to really experienced people taking up casual jobs.

Edited by krypter3

Just because somebody has a degree, doesn't necessarily mean it's a useful degree. And over the last 10 or 15 years there has been a surge in universities offering degrees in totally absurd subjects.

Actual examples :-

Parapsychology

Golf Studies

Wine Studies

Surfing

Outdoor Leadership

Puppetry

David Beckham

Edited by itsnotoutthere

From the article:

"Mr MacDonald, 22, who gained a 2.1 degree in medical and veterinary biochemistry from Swansea University, repeatedly applied for graduate jobs in finance."

Perhaps if he had taken a degree (Finance, banking; marketing, MBA etc) that was at least marginally focussed on his Career Preference then he would have a little more success.

Why on earth take a Biochem degree then think it will get you a job in Finance???

Bloke is a fool, and I am tired of hearing about these whingers...IMO

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 1

From the article:

"Mr MacDonald, 22, who gained a 2.1 degree in medical and veterinary biochemistry from Swansea University, repeatedly applied for graduate jobs in finance."

Perhaps if he had taken a degree (Finance, banking; marketing, MBA etc) that was at least marginally focussed on his Career Preference then he would have a little more success.

Why on earth take a Biochem degree then think it will get you a job in Finance???

Bloke is a fool, and I am tired of hearing about these whingers...IMO

I was kind of wondering the same thing. Why was he applying for finance jobs instead of trying for the job field he actually had a degree in. Like if I were the manager of a bank, I would look at his degree and go great, you know vet science, do you know anything about banking?

these people might get a degree, trouble is they haven't done the term in the University of Life. - come out of University all Fresh faced with unrealistic ambitions. ambitions fueled by a system which as been geared to make everyone believe they can all succeed, no matter who you are or how good your academic ability is. but i tell you what when they finish university reality hits and hits hard. its like a game of snakes and ladders. with most slipping down the slippery snake. its about time this country started accepting reality and made the education system more suitable to the countries needs, and more importantly the individuals needs. it looks good when a hundred people get a degree yet only one job in the field is available, were not equipping for the future.

• Like 1