Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Archaeologists Return to Richard III's Grave

kannin

Archaeologists are about to break fresh ground in the place where the long-lost remains of King Richard III were discovered.

Last summer, excavators found the monarch's battle-scarred bones underneath a parking lot in Leicester, England, in the medieval ruins of Grey Friars church. On Monday (July 1), the same archaeologists will begin a four-week dig at the site, hoping more discoveries lie in Richard's final resting place.

Three other tombs were exposed during the zealous search for the king, including a 600-year-old lead-lined stone coffin. In the expanded excavation, the University of Leicester team will investigate this grave; they believe it may contain the body of Sir William Moton, a knight thought to have been buried at Grey Friars in 1362, more than 100 years earlier than Richard III's death in 1485. [image Gallery: The Search for Richard III]

http://www.livescience.com/37835-archaeologists-return-to-richard-iii-gravesite.html

• Like 1

That's interesting! Thanks for posting this. :)

I know it won't happen, but I really wish they would compare the DNA from Richard's bones, to the bones in the urn in Westminster Abbey, (the bones found under the stairs, supposed to be the Princes in the Tower). It would be nice to know for sure, who they are, even if we don't know, how they died, or if they were murdered.

I remember reading, that in the 50s or so, they did a DNA test, from the bones in the urn, to DNA collected from a tooth taken from Anne Mowbray, a cousin of the Princes, and it was shown that they shared similar familial origins.....

• Like 1

That is a mystery I would like to see solved; what happened to the two young princes in the tower.

• Like 1

That's interesting! Thanks for posting this. :)

I know it won't happen, but I really wish they would compare the DNA from Richard's bones, to the bones in the urn in Westminster Abbey, (the bones found under the stairs, supposed to be the Princes in the Tower). It would be nice to know for sure, who they are, even if we don't know, how they died, or if they were murdered.

I remember reading, that in the 50s or so, they did a DNA test, from the bones in the urn, to DNA collected from a tooth taken from Anne Mowbray, a cousin of the Princes, and it was shown that they shared similar familial origins.....

I know right its such an intrigueing story, guess we will never know

• Like 1

DNA in the fifties....I don't think so.

I just found the book I read that in, which is "The Princes in the Tower" by Alison Weir, and the testing was done in 1964. Sorry about the mix up on the dates.....