Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Guns take lives thread

green_dude777

~snip

Plus that other 10 percent is still there.

~SNIP

In one word: YES!!

You can't trust anyone. Women, especially, shouldn't trust men, even if they are a "friend" or "boyfriend"....

If you are a woman, you must be vigilant, and pay attention to your surroundings. Carrying a gun, pepper spray, or a taser in your purse, can help protect you.

Maybe all parents should put more effort to just bring up the little boys to be upright and respectable men ... till that day comes ...

~

• Like 3

why don't we just trade in the guns that take lives for the guns that save lives? do i have to think of everything!*?

I have seen on those true cop shows, where the police hit the person with a taeser, and the person just jumps up after.

As stated a gun equalizes the confrointation. However this is only true if the person who holds the weapon has training. The most dangers person with a weapon is someone who does not know how to use it.

• Like 2

Even if you have fighting experience, in self defense, you can still be overpowered quite easily by a man. By having a gun, pepper spray, or a taser, it equalizes the playing field.

In one word: YES!!

You can't trust anyone. Women, especially, shouldn't trust men, even if they are a "friend" or "boyfriend"....

If you are a woman, you must be vigilant, and pay attention to your surroundings. Carrying a gun, pepper spray, or a taser in your purse, can help protect you.

Most women are raped by someone they know.

• Like 1

Maybe all parents should put more effort to just bring up the little boys to be upright and respectable men ... till that day comes ...

~

I agree but we are dealing with the me generation.

I agree but we are dealing with the me generation.

That is not an excuse and you know it ....

`

• Like 1

how to state and add to the obvious ... I wonder ...

28147_498174243576390_936213472_n.jpg

I wonder what anyone would say to someone who has lost a near and dear one to bullets ...

~

i lost a friend to a bullet, or more like dozens of them, he was working in jewlery store, robbers came and shot both ppl behind the counter with a shotgun, it happened in brooklyn, about 17 years ago, guess what i will say, too bad my buddy was unarmed.

• Like 2

i lost a friend to a bullet, or more like dozens of them, he was working in jewlery store, robbers came and shot both ppl behind the counter with a shotgun, it happened in brooklyn, about 17 years ago, guess what i will say, too bad my buddy was unarmed.

I am sorry to hear that and sympathies ... when firearms are prevalent and common ... it is something we all have to live with and through

Again my condolences ...

Oh, good a thread of their own. I don't think I'll be in here too much.

Typical; don't read anything other than what supports what you want to believe.
  • Like 1

Notice he didn't say that those who own a sword die by the sword. If you live to shoot others then you may very well be shot to death. So, as you can see, your view isn't supported by Jesus.

Are you sure of your interpretation -- dig into your conscience here -- given the context of the story? This seems typical of Christians who manage to rationalize Bible verses that contradict what they want. At the very least it seems to me ignoring His words or twisting them puts you on very thin ice.

Gun's are a tool. It is the user of said tool who defines it's purpose.

~Thanato

Maybe, maybe not People can have temporary fits of insanity or rage, temporary fits of severe depression or grief, momentary lapses of care when the gun falls into a child's hands, and all sorts of similar things where the user's purpose ends up not to have been such a good idea.

The whole point of guns is to end lives.

No ifs, buts or "well actuallys..." about it.

However, nine times out of ten that life taking is in the preservation of another life deemed (either by the shooter or the person giving the orders) to be more important then the person on the receiving end.

Well eight times out of ten. Seven. Six at the least.

But "a gun" no more saves a life then kills someone.

They're actions that can ONLY ever be laid at the door of the person with their finger literally on the trigger. A gun is an inanimate, insensile, non-thinking object. The whys, wherefores and consequences are human constructs and for humans to debate, consider and 'wear'.

Pretty much like the Gun Proponents

Typical; don't read anything other than what supports what you want to believe.

So I guess you won't be going in the 'saves lives' thread anymore?

So I guess you won't be going in the 'saves lives' thread anymore?

I've gone there all along and still subscribe. I see little point in remarking on the anecdotes; they remind me of stories of people who've seen ghosts or been abducted by aliens. The only difference is that guns really exist

Maybe, maybe not People can have temporary fits of insanity or rage, temporary fits of severe depression or grief, momentary lapses of care when the gun falls into a child's hands, and all sorts of similar things where the user's purpose ends up not to have been such a good idea.

The user still defined the purpose for those firearms. The Firearm it self did not say 'Use me to comit murder!' The user picked it up as it is an easy tool to do so. It also removes the personalness that a knife or a hammer intails.

The purpose of a firearm is to be a tool. A tool that can be used for good, bad, or indifferance. It is the person who chooses which one.

• Like 2

You just went full retard, never go full retard.

I am always carrying my firearm, I have had very serious arguments with others while armed, and it seems on these forums quite a few people think im delusional for my beliefs... Still haven't had the urge to just draw and fire... I've actually been in fist fights, with my firearm on my side.. Didn't have to draw and fire... I have lost my job, my home, my wife, my daughter, and my family's support(I actually did get back in the good graces ty)... didn't just draw on myself and fire... Actually, my daughter has her own gun, it's a Daisy rifle... She hasn't mistakenly fired on anyone, or even wanted to pick up any of my firearms...

So yeah, your whole post was...

38370674.jpg

• Like 3

Are you sure of your interpretation -- dig into your conscience here -- given the context of the story? This seems typical of Christians who manage to rationalize Bible verses that contradict what they want. At the very least it seems to me ignoring His words or twisting them puts you on very thin ice.

I can ask you the same question: Are you sure of your interpretation?

Here is a list of some of the translations for this verse:

parallel7.gifNew International Version (©2011)

"Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.

New Living Translation (©2007)

"Put away your sword," Jesus told him. "Those who use the sword will die by the sword.

English Standard Version (©2001)

Then Jesus said to him, “Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)

Then Jesus said to him, "Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)

Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Holman Christian Standard Bible (©2009)

Then Jesus told him, "Put your sword back in its place because all who take up a sword will perish by a sword.

International Standard Version (©2012)

Jesus told him, "Put your sword back in its place! Everyone who uses a sword will be killed by a sword.

NET Bible (©2006)

Then Jesus said to him, "Put your sword back in its place! For all who take hold of the sword will die by the sword.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)

Then Yeshua said to him, “Return the sword to its place, for all of those who take up swords will die by swords.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)

Then Jesus said to him, "Put your sword away! All who use a sword will be killed by a sword.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)

Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again your sword into its place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

American King James Version

Then said Jesus to him, Put up again your sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

American Standard Version

Then saith Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into its place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Douay-Rheims Bible

Then Jesus saith to him: Put up again thy sword into its place: for all that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Darby Bible Translation

Then saith Jesus to him, Return thy sword to its place; for all who take the sword shall perish by the sword.

English Revised Version

Then saith Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into its place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Webster's Bible Translation

Then said Jesus to him, Put up again thy sword into its place: for all they that take the sword, shall perish by the sword.

Weymouth New Testament

"Put back your sword again," said Jesus, "for all who draw the sword shall perish by the sword.

World English Bible

Then Jesus said to him, "Put your sword back into its place, for all those who take the sword will die by the sword.

Young's Literal Translation

Then saith Jesus to him, 'Turn back thy sword to its place; for all who did take the sword, by the sword shall perish;

Notice they don't say "throw away your sword", but to put it back in its place.

Now who is twisting His words?

• Like 1

The user still defined the purpose for those firearms. The Firearm it self did not say 'Use me to comit murder!' The user picked it up as it is an easy tool to do so. It also removes the personalness that a knife or a hammer intails.

The purpose of a firearm is to be a tool. A tool that can be used for good, bad, or indifferance. It is the person who chooses which one.

Much like a hammer. You can use a hammer to build a house, or knock one down. Same tool either way.

The majority of rapes are commited against women. Fact

Men are geneticly have more muscle, women are made with more body fat. Fact

Sorry this post is not Polticaly Correct but it is reality. Men commit the most rapes, Its a shamefull thing that the male gender does. So this picture is pretty accurate, unless the women has fighting experience of some kind she will most likely get overpowered.

Hence a gun equalizes things pretty quick.

Plus the women on the right dosent look weak and defenceless :gun:

Its sad when we are in a time were you have to be sooo politicaly correct that you are not allowed to speak the truth or point out the obvious. This picture is in no way against women, it is a showing a solution to a sad but horrible problem that does happen in the real world.

This is not a PC issue. I couldn't care less if that is the case. It also doesn't change anything, that the woman on the right is not looking defenseless. That's the whole point: Without gun equals victim, and with a gun equal brave, strong and victorious, while that does not reflect reality at all. In both cases. And there are pretty strong women as well. That is what I call misogynist.

That a gun might protect you in situations like these is out of question. But a woman without a gun has a manifold of options to choose from to protect herself, and some might be even more effective in certain circumstances, like judo or jiu jitsu practice for instance. With that, she could take a much bigger and stronger opponent down who has snuck up on her.

But let's take a closer look at rape. The type of rape that people associate the most with the word is stranger rape. We all know the scenario: A dark alley, and a woman on her way home. She hears footseps coming closer; we all know what is going to happen, but that's when she whips out one of those bad boys, right? The problem with this is, that stranger rape is actually the least common type of rape, as it occurs in about 25% of all cases. Most types of rape are committed by a person the victims knows, and happen in an environment where she would not expect it, e.g. the workplace, home, or during holidays. Places where you usually do not have your gun on you, especially if you are with somebody you feel safe with.

The point I am trying to make is that you can never be sure, and ads like these very much try to make you feel as a gun would be just that, total safety. Which it is not, like all other means of self defense. But this kind of advertisement is nothing but propaganda, and can create dangerous situations. There is nothing worse that a wrong sense of safety.

That said, I leave the numbers here (and this is a very nice paper, I might add :)), and hope that you understand that I am in no way try to formulate anti gun propaganda, but that I am only trying to show the bigger picture on things, as I feel that the thoughts of a few are a bit too streamlined on this issue. And I mean no offence by that. Hey, I for sure am like that on a certain topics as well. But Law is my profession, and I try to see it as objective as possible. I express my own opinion on guns otherwise: I don't own one.

You just went full retard, never go full retard.

I am always carrying my firearm, I have had very serious arguments with others while armed, and it seems on these forums quite a few people think im delusional for my beliefs... Still haven't had the urge to just draw and fire... I've actually been in fist fights, with my firearm on my side.. Didn't have to draw and fire... I have lost my job, my home, my wife, my daughter, and my family's support(I actually did get back in the good graces ty)... didn't just draw on myself and fire... Actually, my daughter has her own gun, it's a Daisy rifle... She hasn't mistakenly fired on anyone, or even wanted to pick up any of my firearms...

So yeah, your whole post was...

38370674.jpg

You are obviously...super obviously...an egg that is about to crack! It is only a matter of time my friend, until you buy a farm with milk cows and slaughter them before turning your daughters BB gun on yourself...shooting yourself in the eye...over and over again. You WILL be front page on some local rag as the guy who blew his brains out with 500 BBs. Phew...I'm so glad I'm not going to live your life...it ain't gonna be pretty...

I wonder if I'm supposed to be impressed by all those translations of the passage. All it shows is an ability to cut and paste. The point is using a sword was disapproved of; now why does one have a sword if it isn't to be used?

You are obviously...super obviously...an egg that is about to crack!

you can't even comprehend that guns don't always kill, and not all gun owners kids shoot themselves or others. he is not the problem , you are. you and your kid should definatly NOT have any contact with guns whatsoever.

Much like a hammer. You can use a hammer to build a house, or knock one down. Same tool either way.

Name me one thing you can build with a gun. They are weapons, not tools. You can't gloss over such an important fact and continue debating with a straight face.

• Like 1