Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Minnesota Iceman: Mysterious Frozen Creature

Still Waters

In the 1960s, the "Minnesota Iceman" was paraded from mall to fairground, leaving rumors of Bigfoot, missing links and government conspiracy in its wake.

Then, just as quickly as the 6-foot-tall frozen beast surfaced, it vanished -- until now.

Earlier this year, Steve Busti -- owner of the Museum of the Weird in Austin, Texas -- bought the ice man from the family of its original owner in Minnesota. He's going to once again reveal the ape-like creature to the world starting July 3 at his museum.

http://www.huffingto..._n_3517680.html

Very cool. I just hope that the coverage points out that the Iceman is fake - something HuffPo didn't do, but that doesn't surprise me given their love of woo.

Monstertalk did a great episode on the MIM and really delved into its sideshow roots - which was completely fascinating.

It's a true piece of Americana and I hope that folks embrace it for that aspect of it, because frankly that's much more fascinating.

Here's the link to the Monstertalk podacst. There's also a transcript, but the podcast is much more enjoyable.

http://www.skeptic.com/podcasts/monstertalk/10/12/01/

• Like 4

Very cool. I just hope that the coverage points out that the Iceman is fake - something HuffPo didn't do, but that doesn't surprise me given their love of woo.

Monstertalk did a great episode on the MIM and really delved into its sideshow roots - which was completely fascinating.

It's a true piece of Americana and I hope that folks embrace it for that aspect of it, because frankly that's much more fascinating.

Here's the link to the Monstertalk podacst. There's also a transcript, but the podcast is much more enjoyable.

http://www.skeptic.c...rtalk/10/12/01/

I've read about this so-called 'Iceman,' too, and it was as bogus as they come. These sideshow freaks are entertaining ,but there's a sucker born every minute. . .

I remember seeing this at the mall when I was a kid. It had to be the early 70's. Cost a quarter to look at it, and you only could look for a little bit. Probably the reason I am intrigued by bigfoot to this day.

• Like 2

Well, if you want to go by Heuvelmans and Sanderson, there were actually two different things billed as the Minnesota Iceman. To be specific, there was a real one, and a fake one. Both toured around the Midwest in the care of a Mr. Frank Hansen, who exhibited them at state fairs, carnivals and other assorted events. The original was examined in 1967 by Bernard Heuvelmans and Ivan T. Sanderson, who came to the conclusion that it was an authentic frozen specimen of something unidentified. Hansen wanted it kept quiet, but both Sanderson and Heuvelmans published articles on it in magazines. Sanderson asked primatologist John Napier to investigate it, but before any serious study was undertaken, Hansen claims that the owner of the Iceman (an eccentric California millionaire) requested that it be pulled from exhibition. However, that's not quite the end of the story. In the early '70s, the Iceman "reappeared," once again shown by Frank Hansen. However, it's popularly believed that the new Iceman was in fact a latex prop and the real one is still out there somewhere.

Wow! Another monkey suit in a freezer. That couldn't ever happen a second time.

......oh wait.

• Like 2

Well, if you want to go by Heuvelmans and Sanderson, there were actually two different things billed as the Minnesota Iceman. To be specific, there was a real one, and a fake one. Both toured around the Midwest in the care of a Mr. Frank Hansen, who exhibited them at state fairs, carnivals and other assorted events. The original was examined in 1967 by Bernard Heuvelmans and Ivan T. Sanderson, who came to the conclusion that it was an authentic frozen specimen of something unidentified. Hansen wanted it kept quiet, but both Sanderson and Heuvelmans published articles on it in magazines. Sanderson asked primatologist John Napier to investigate it, but before any serious study was undertaken, Hansen claims that the owner of the Iceman (an eccentric California millionaire) requested that it be pulled from exhibition. However, that's not quite the end of the story. In the early '70s, the Iceman "reappeared," once again shown by Frank Hansen. However, it's popularly believed that the new Iceman was in fact a latex prop and the real one is still out there somewhere.

Sideshow Carnie magic my friend. Pay your quarter and step right up - it could be the real one or it could be the fake one.

• Like 1

If it was a dead Sasquatch, what a terrible shame to be killed and stuck in a freezer for all to gawk at for the price of admission.

• Like 3

Good to know Cryptozoology recycles its Blockbusters as often as Hollywood...

• Like 3

Well, the only way to tell if it's a fake or real is thaw it out or take an X-Ray. "Amazing" that if it's real, this wouldn't have been done already.

• Like 1

Well, the only way to tell if it's a fake or real is thaw it out or take an X-Ray. "Amazing" that if it's real, this wouldn't have been done already.

Agreed, along with tissue samples(if it is an animal) for DNA analysis.

• Like 1

Can't wait for the modern pics...

This has jarred my memory about something I saw on one of the mystery programs. I really wish I could remember what it was but it was donkeys years ago and I was only a kid.

Basically the presenter/investigator was led into a shed where there was a body encased in ice many inches thick. It looked human/ape but was hard too make out any features due to the thickness of the ice.

Gave me nightmares for weeks.

• Like 1

Poor Bigfoot! Why would anyone want to kill one? Unless he was trying to get fresh with the guy's wife (Bigfeet? like human females apparently).

So they are saying that it is still frozen after all these years?

Poor Bigfoot! Why would anyone want to kill one? Unless he was trying to get fresh with the guy's wife (Bigfeet? like human females apparently).

Well, one of the popular theories is that the Iceman isn't a "Bigfoot" at all. The profile's all wrong, too short and light. A number of people have suggested it's not native to the Americas at all, but something that was shot in Vietnam and brought to the US one way or another. I find this one pretty interesting, because the Iceman would fit a lot better with some of the "wildman" reports coming out of Southeast Asia, and I vaguely recall reading something where American special forces (MACV-SOG or SEALs, probably) claimed to have seen unidentified primates they called "rock apes" in the area.

• Like 2

Well, one of the popular theories is that the Iceman isn't a "Bigfoot" at all. The profile's all wrong, too short and light. A number of people have suggested it's not native to the Americas at all, but something that was shot in Vietnam and brought to the US one way or another. I find this one pretty interesting, because the Iceman would fit a lot better with some of the "wildman" reports coming out of Southeast Asia, and I vaguely recall reading something where American special forces (MACV-SOG or SEALs, probably) claimed to have seen unidentified primates they called "rock apes" in the area.

I've read of Rock Apes, and they seem like an early primate, rather then a near human like a bigfoot.

I'd kill one immeditately if I could.

The great naturalist John Audubon killed millions of birds, so that science might have good examples to study of many species. The same would apply here. Shooting a bigfoot is the only real proof that would be accepted by science. And its body would provide millions of details that would otherwise be impossible to determine.

• Like 1

This has jarred my memory about something I saw on one of the mystery programs. I really wish I could remember what it was but it was donkeys years ago and I was only a kid.

Basically the presenter/investigator was led into a shed where there was a body encased in ice many inches thick. It looked human/ape but was hard too make out any features due to the thickness of the ice.

Gave me nightmares for weeks.

I remember that too, think it was Unsolved Mysteries.

I've read of Rock Apes, and they seem like an early primate, rather then a near human like a bigfoot.

Well, in Coleman's Field Guide To Bigfoot, he identifies certain Southeast Asian reports with names I can't even begin to spell, let alone pronounce, as relics of Homo erectus or relatives. Rock apes don't come up in that particular book, and I'd be inclined to liken them more to H. floresiensis than H. erectus, but either way they'd likely be early hominids. The rock ape also has something of a similarity to the orangutan, so there's that too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

kinda looks like Khloe Kardashian

lmao