Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meet the Breatharian Who Lives on Energy

Still Waters

it is possible but I thought that the method in which it is possible was long ago lost from this world. it requires a much higher level of consciousness.

• Like 1

I'm sorry but if you think that it is "probably possible to just live off fresh air, sunlight and maybe some water" then you have a complete lack of understanding of how the body works. Humans can not do photosynthesis. We get the energy we need to function by eating. Remember the rule of 3: you cannot survive for more than:

3 minutes without air.

3 days without water.

3 weeks without food.

The person in the article is a liar, no if, ands, or buts about it. And it’s a very easy test to see if he’s being truthful or not, put him in an area where he can be watched 24/7 to see if he eats. My guess is he’ll be so ill after 2 weeks that they would have to stop the test or he’ll die.

When my son was born I had no breast milk. The midwife who visited me each day was adamant that it would soon appear and my son would be fine until that happened. After the fourth full day of him not consuming anything, not even water, I cracked and started giving him powdered milk. He was absolutely fine up until then ...... there was no suggestion of taking him to hospital or calling a doctor.

Think of recent news items about people buried in collapsed buildings. What kept them alive for so long? Will power? Belief that their god would save them? Belief that the rescue teams would find them?

Think of people during famine times(Africa in particular), they can survive over long periods of time on virtually nothing.

This is going to sound blunt, but large numbers of people don't survive during famines. it's kind of a main feature of not having adequate nutrition. people certainly can survive for some time without food. and it always leaves them very weakened. the people who were trapped in those buildings often need to be hospitalized in order to get them strong enough to walk, for whatever's sake.

Edited by patagonianhorsesnake
  • Like 3

I'm sorry but if you think that it is "probably possible to just live off fresh air, sunlight and maybe some water" then you have a complete lack of understanding of how the body works. Humans can not do photosynthesis. We get the energy we need to function by eating. Remember the rule of 3: you cannot survive for more than:

3 minutes without air.

3 days without water.

3 weeks without food.

The person in the article is a liar, no if, ands, or buts about it. And it’s a very easy test to see if he’s being truthful or not, put him in an area where he can be watched 24/7 to see if he eats. My guess is he’ll be so ill after 2 weeks that they would have to stop the test or he’ll die.

More importantly, if this was even REMOTELY possible, then how come those in the 3rd world starving countries cant go for months on air and sunshine too?

• Like 1

What is surprising is the apparent lack of documentaries on the subject. If people were to watch for example In the Beginning there was Light, I'm sure some people would change their minds about breatharianism, or at least become better informed on the subject rather that cry "bullsh!t" or "impossible" straight away. The trick is to find the English subtitles, which is also not impossible, if you're good at using the net. It's like saying with the double slit experiment that it's impossible for the electron to go through both holes and neither at the same time. We should've learnt by now that the universe doesn't know impossible, it's our limited and rigid intellects that,once fixed in a paradigm, find it hard to be open to new possibilities. Yes, it was hard for physicists to come to terms with particles being waves at the same time. Common sense says: come on, so what is it then, wave or particle? Can't be both. Oh really. The universe says it can. You've got a problem with that? Guess what? The universe doesn't care. You sort your paradigm problems out and find a brave new world out there, or stay in your paradigm and keep shouting impossible.

Non sequitur. Sorry but sub-atomic particles doesn't mean everything is possible. You really are damn clueless.
  • Like 1

Scientific basis

Nutritional science indicates that fasting for extended periods leads to starvation, dehydration, and eventual death. In the absence of calorie intake, the body normally burns its own reserves of glycogen, body fat, and muscle. Breatharians claim that their bodies do not consume these reserves while fasting.[4]

Few breatharians have submitted themselves to medical testing; of those that have, including a hospital's observation of an Indian mystic Prahlad Jani surviving without food or water for 15 days,[5] none have undergone peer review with results independently reproduced.[6] In a handful of documented cases, individuals attempting breatharian fasting have died,[and among the claims investigated by the Indian Rationalist Association, all were found to be fraudulent.In other cases, people have attempted to survive on sunlight alone, sometimes for publicity or monetary gain, only to abandon the effort after losing a large percentage of their body weight.[8]

Now it gets interesting:

Deaths of Jasmuheen's followers

The deaths of 49-year-old Australian-born Scotland resident Verity Linn, 31-year-old Munich preschool teacher Timo Degen, and 53-year-old Melbourne resident Lani Marcia Roslyn Morris while attempting the breatharian "diet" advocated by Jasmuheen have elicited criticism. Jim Vadim Pesnak, 63, and his wife Eugenia, 60, went to jail for six and two years, respectively, on charges of manslaughter for their involvement in the death of Morris, when Pesnak delayed seeking medical attention.[21] Jasmuheen claimed that Linn's death had a psycho-spiritual, rather than physiological, source. (Linn was nominated for a Darwin Award, but did not win.

Jasmuheen has denied any involvement with the three deaths and claims she cannot be held responsible for the actions of her followers. In reference to the death of Lani Morris, she said that perhaps Morris was "not coming from a place of integrity and did not have the right motivation".[2]

In 2007, a pregnant woman in Hungary died of malnutrition while following a "lighteater" fast forced on the family by her husband, who was later remanded to a mental institution. The couple's two young children were also in dire straits when they were found.

In 2012 it was reported that a Swiss woman died of starvation after having attempted to survive on light alone, based on one of Jasmuheen's books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inedia

• Like 6

Psychosis is a strong force which I believe is what's keeping him going assuming her really believes himself to be immortal

Psychosis is a strong force which I believe is what's keeping him going assuming her really believes himself to be immortal

What really keeps him going is the money he is making from his DVD's/books and courses, like those that went before him. Besides - he admits to eating a few times a year, its just that one assumes a few isnt much..

When he has been locked in a ward for 3 months, and filmed 24/7 with no access to any water or food of any description, and when it has been well documented by professionally qualified people, then I may raise an eyebrow of interest, till then, its just an other story

• Like 3

3 minutes without air.

3 days without water.

3 weeks without food.

Actually David Blaine has successfully survived without all 3 for much longer than you have listed...check out TED talks

As long as the body is generating heat, it is using calories. And, unless this individual is able to control his hypothalamus, which controls his autonomic nervous system and body temperature, he must consume food to expend calories. Even so, some caloric intake and liquid are necessary to maintain a minimal organ function. I do not see how sufficient energy could be absorbed from the "ether" surrounding us in order the sustain the body to the extent that the basic physics of the conservation of energy is satisfied. But, if someone more enlightened can provide a good argument, then please enlighten me.

You are right. I'd really love to see some real monk come out and prove a biofeed reaction such as this, like some have demonstrated other abilities. If there are some old masters out there, I doubt very much anyone would come out as a book seller or public teacher. It would go against their traditions that gave them such a mastery!

I think there may be a remote possibility after years of study and radical manipulation of bodily and mental functions, it might be able to happen in a few cases. These changes would have to make the whole metabolism change to function like a plant and then switch back to animal functions.. very impossible for genetically normal people and it would be an extreme act of conscious control even for a master monk. A master wouldn't even try to teach something like that because it would only do harm to others without a purpose! Only charlatans come forward without a real reason.

Edited by White Unicorn
  • Like 1

There is a documentary called eat the sun.its about sungazing..in the documentary there is an indian man I forget his name but he claims he doesnt eat food and gets all his nourisment from staring at the sun for a set amount of time everyday...needless to say they catch him eating food near the end of the documentary..if all u needed was sun I highly doubt soo many people would starve to death

Edited by kajiwara
  • Like 1

Now I have the urge for the film 'Sunshine' lol

" Mace: What's strange, Searle, is that you're the psych officer on this ship and I'm clearly a lot saner than you are."

• Like 1

I found that hard to believe as I've never heard of anyone surving without food and waters for an extended period of time. Unless this person has a supernatural habilty unheard of, I am more inclined to think that there is some trick behind this.

It kinds of remind me of a public figure in my country who has made a hunger strike in protest to the government. But even though she wasn't eating, she was sustained on fish broth and by drinking tea which in my opinion allowed her to pursuie her hunger strike for about a month.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1

A "drug addicted thug" at the age of 16 that developed a "new" sence of consciouness?(according to the article)

How does that not surprise me.

• Like 1

We all live on nothing but energy and air and water. What do you suppose we consume food to get?

I've heard that these yogis or gurus that do this can drink as much water as they like, and that the most often thing they do is liquidate some kind of food, like a cucumber, and ingest it over 10 or 20 glasses of water.

This came up at UM like 4 years ago and the guys that were medically tested all showed signs of food in the stomach and in their blood. Testing then showed that their assistants were putting food in the water.

We all live on nothing but energy and air and water. What do you suppose we consume food to get?

Trace Minerals?

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

It's like saying with the double slit experiment that it's impossible for the electron to go through both holes and neither at the same time. We should've learnt by now that the universe doesn't know impossible, it's our limited and rigid intellects that,once fixed in a paradigm, find it hard to be open to new possibilities

Bang - and there in the first paragraph we have it - the Appeal to Quantum Physics. The logical fallacy for those wanting to special plead, but make it sound scientific.

• Like 1

Now I have the urge for the film 'Sunshine' lol

" Mace: What's strange, Searle, is that you're the psych officer on this ship and I'm clearly a lot saner than you are."

Awesome film.

It's like saying with the double slit experiment that it's impossible for the electron to go through both holes and neither at the same time.

It's like that how? Comparing something with no basis or evidence to something documented, proven and explained through accepted theory?

• Like 3

That is not dead which can eternal wait, And over with strange aeons even death may die

When my son was born I had no breast milk.

Really? None at all? If that is true, then ..

The midwife who visited me each day was adamant that it would soon appear and my son would be fine until that happened.

If you were truly producing nothing and she did not tell you to use a proper baby formula in the meantime, at least every 3-5 hours, that midwife should be up for prosecution.

After the fourth full day of him not consuming anything, not even water, I cracked and started giving him powdered milk.

It is EXTREMELY irresponsible to post such dangerous misinformation. If a newborn went without milk for more than even, say 6 hours it would already be at risk of various problems - much longer and the results would not bear thinking about.. Ask any doctor or real midwife.

He was absolutely fine up until then ...

If he was, then he was either getting formula from bottles that you are conveniently forgetting, or you were in fact producing enough breast milk... I'd suggest you ring up that midwife and have a little discussion about this, and get back to us. If she agrees with your recollections, then I would ask her to come to this forum and defend her position.

there was no suggestion of taking him to hospital or calling a doctor.

Like I said, if that was the case, then he was definitely getting milk from somewhere.

Think of recent news items about people buried in collapsed buildings. What kept them alive for so long? Will power? Belief that their god would save them? Belief that the rescue teams would find them?

All of those and many other factors- as has been pointed out to you, the 3/3/3 'rule' is NOT a rule, it's a guide. Of COURSE it varies. But that doesn't mean you can make ridiculous, irresponsible and DANGEROUS claims like those you made above.

This whole story about living on nothing is one of those examples of a delusion that ISN'T harmless. People die from following this sort of incredibly bad 'advice'. If they are simply stupid adults then maybe it is their choice (or natural selection at work) but when it comes to innocent kids/babies..

• Like 5

Hogwash I tell you!

If anyone thinks that this is true..try it.

Mr Darwin's theary will apply, and the human race will have taken another miniscule step forward, and wewill all benefit from your exit from the human race.

Biology is a fact, not some mythalogical hocus-pocus magical thinking, ignore it at your peril.

• Like 1

When my son was born I had no breast milk. The midwife who visited me each day was adamant that it would soon appear and my son would be fine until that happened. After the fourth full day of him not consuming anything, not even water, I cracked and started giving him powdered milk. He was absolutely fine up until then ...... there was no suggestion of taking him to hospital or calling a doctor.

Wow!.....nothing at all for four days? I can understand you might not have breast milk, but newborns need feeding several times a day including water. Heck, babies cry to get fed, and very loudly too if left without. How did you get around that?

I gave birth in hospital and had difficulties breast feeding for a start so they used a breast pump to get my milk. After a night or two of feeding I got very tired and didn't wake up one night when I should have which meant I missed a feed time.... Well the nurses were none too pleased with me I can tell you, and that was just missing one feed!

• Like 2